Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Question 370 Air Compressor Adjustment

I'm not sure the air compressor on the 370 is the same as other MoHos, but mine is located below the front of the chassis, just in front of the engine. It has a rock guard steel shield to protect it from damage. According the the Gilling manual, the pressure should be between 80-100 psi, but never over 100. I'm pressurizing front and rear bags, as well as the parking brake. The manual also says the pressure is adjusted at the control mounted on the compressor, and to use the instructions "located under the cover of the control". My air tank is located on the door side below the body just rear of the step. Is there supposed to be an air fitting on the tank to check the pressure? I'm asking because my air gage on the dash always reads just barely in the green "normal" range, and sometimes the air light actually comes on at a stop. First, how do I check the actual pressure the compressor is making? Second, has anyone had experience with adjusting a compressor like this? Getting to the control cover is possible, of course, but after taking a good look today, it's not going to be easy.

Tim
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Tim,
Don't know about your setup, it's definately different than mine, but there should be a valve (or fitting leading out to a valve) on the bottom of the accumulator tank so you can blow off moisture from the tank. .

Mine does have a pressure valve which when left on will cycle the pump on if the pressure drops.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 07:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Tim,
Don't know about your setup, it's definately different than mine, but there should be a valve (or fitting leading out to a valve) on the bottom of the accumulator tank so you can blow off moisture from the tank. .

Mine does have a pressure valve which when left on will cycle the pump on if the pressure drops.
Steven,

Thanks. I have a drain valve that's routed from the bottom of the tank to the lower side of the coach so I can drain the moisture from the tank. It's the pressure valve at the compressor I may need to adjust. I'm going out there today and check first for a fitting on the tank where I can check the pressure. If it's below 80 psi. (with the compressor switched on), I'm going to attempt to adjust that pressure valve - IF I can get to it , and IF I can actually find the "instructions for adjusting the pressure switch on the inside of the switch cover" . I had sort of figured my setup was different after reading all the posts about compressors being inside of MoHos, and that sort of thing. I suppose mine is different partly because I have front and rear air bags. Anyway, I'll post what I discover, since there are so many 370 owners just waiting to get this information .

Tim
AIR # 5648
noiva is offline   Reply With Quote