Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
Rik
2 Rivet Member

Question 1983 310 Engine Problem

I have a 1983 310. When I bought it, in Alabama, it had a rod knock. I had it overhauled there -- a great little independent shop, did a great job -- then drove it up to the factory at Jackson Center, Ohio. I then drove back to I-40, and at Oklahoma City this problem first appeared. I stepped on the gas, and the engine bogged and started to die, as if it was starved for fuel. In a few seconds, it was running fine again. The problem got progressively more frequent as I drove back home to California. So far, I have changed the carburetor, fuel filter, and anything fuel-related that I can think of. It still dies out intermittently. Anyone have any ideas what it might be? My next move is to run the coach from a boat gas can with a line directly to the electric fuel pump, to take the gas tank out of the equation -- in case something is clogged. BTW -- does anyone know why the fuel pump has a return line? The older 454 engines did not have one. Is this smog related? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or, if you can direct me to a good Chevy engine or Chevy 454 message board, I'll ask there also.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I don't have a MH

but I think I recall from other posts (search Steven Webster's posts) that there may be two fuel filters, and that there seems to be a weak link in the fuel pump- I believe others have either replaced theirs or added another one. PM Steven and I'm sure he'll help out!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:17 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
second fuel filter on the frame rail

There is a second fuel filter, a canister type spin-on, on the frame rail near the fuel tank. If you have trouble finding it, let us know, and we can give you more precise instructions, kind of like a virtual divining rod for fuel filters.
Your fuel pump has a small return line back to the tank to bleed back excess fuel while the engine is running, this relieves pressure on the pump diaphram, and reduces emmissions, as fuel is not forced past the needle and seat in the carb bowl. While you are at the parts store getting your new filter cartridge, you may want to pick up spare filters, in case this happens at 3 am in the middle of the desert. Many MoHo owners also carry a small electric fuel pump, in case the pump goes South on a trip. They can install the pump almost anywhere in the feed line, and continue the trip.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The return gas line also bleeds off the gas which has been overheated by staying in the hot engine compartment. This helps prevent vapor lock. Old Fords had a similar system. I had lots of problems with mine. Adding a little oil to the gas and getting the right bypass size (they offered three) solved my fuel problem. It could also be the sock filter on the gas pickup in the tank is clogged.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I'm with Terry. Sounds like a clogging filter. Change the one in the carb and the one at the tank. On the longer MoHo's there is usually an electric "booster" pump inline near the tank. Sometimes there is a third filter on the frame rail near the steps. I don't know if the 310's have this "extra" filter as well.

I had the same problem on my MH. Replaced the filters, the mechanical pump and the electric pump before another forum member and I found the third filter while "broken down" in a parking lot in Atlanta while headed to Florida with the kids. Under ten bucks and it ran like it was meant to again!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

As dwightdi sugested, it might be the sock fillter. Just disconnect the line from the tank to the pump and blow the line back into the tank. With compressed air, the fillter will come off and won't be missed in the system. NYE
Old 10-20-2005, 02:18 PM   #7
Rik
2 Rivet Member

Smile Many thanks!

I really appreciate all the good advice! I didn't know about the cannister filter back by the tank. I do have an electric fuel pump, on the frame rail by the step, and a spin-on aftermarket fuel filter there also. I have replaced that one, and the little one in the carb, but I didn't know about the one by the tank. I will report back to you all, either asking for more ideas, or with more thanks! Best regards ~ Rik
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Longview , Washington
I had a truck that had a zip-tiy in the fuel tank. It was flooting in the bottom of the tank an now and then it would go under the fuel pick-up pipe. I'm not saying that what wrong with you Airstrean, Just some thing I seen that happen to Me.
alfalsetto is offline   Reply With Quote