Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1960 - 1964 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Thinking about buying a '64 Overlander - Questions

How difficult is it to buy a rear window frame with glass? I imagine this would be pretty difficult, but I'm not totally sure. The one I'm looking at has an airconditioner mounted in the back window area with the window replaced with plywood.

The fresh water tank is located under one of the beds, correct? Is this where folks who restore or refurbish place theirs, too?

Any pitfalls with this era of Overlander?

Can replacement parts be had for this era?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
The fresh water tank on my 64 tw is under my street side bed, and I'm going to leave it there. If your windows are like mine, the glass is easy to replace, but the frame may be very difficult to find. I think they only made that type one year. And not all 64's have the same frame.
The first year for univolt, so wiring for new converter is already in place, all outlets are grounded for the first time. You still have zolatone and last year for door in a door which is also cool. Pitfalls.... like all the rest probably new floors, axles, and are very prone to rear end separation. If the floor is real bad you can probably figure on some frame repair as well.....so what are you waiting for??? go get it.
Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
The fresh water tank on my 64 tw is under my street side bed, and I'm going to leave it there. If your windows are like mine, the glass is easy to replace, but the frame may be very difficult to find. I think they only made that type one year. And not all 64's have the same frame.
The first year for univolt, so wiring for new converter is already in place, all outlets are grounded for the first time. You still have zolatone and last year for door in a door which is also cool. Pitfalls.... like all the rest probably new floors, axles, and are very prone to rear end separation. If the floor is real bad you can probably figure on some frame repair as well.....so what are you waiting for??? go get it.
Kevin
Thanks, Kevin. Are you using the original water tank or have you replaced it with a plastic one? Rear end separation??!! Yikes, I thought this was a late 60s/70s Sovereign/Ambassador issue.

4CU 1st VP

Old 04-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Another 64 innovation plastic water tanks and since no uv exposure mine is still ok If you open the one stop service center if yours is like mine a large piece of floor is removed to make room for plumbing/toilet... not good, so you are left with only a 6" strip of plywood running across the back and under the c-channel, plywood rots; rear end separates. Also it will be hard to find a new commode to fit under the fiberglass bench. All in all I still like 64
Old 04-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Hi Mike,
I'm not sure about the back window but I would call Colaws or some such place and see whats available. Did they remove just the glass or the whole frame with the glass?
Fresh water in my Safari is under the side gaucho. Overlanders are probably different. You can fit an additional tank or two under the floor, fore and aft of the axles. The original tank was black only, with an adjacent valve to direct grey water into a gopher hole or container. You can redirect the grey into a new under-floor tank behind the axles and use the existing black if it's okay. Another fresh water tank under the floor in front of the axles is a good use of the space.
'64 Airstreams have a rear separation issue that will need to be addressed. It could be done from underneath if you are going to be doing under-floor work anyway. You may find that the 45 year old plywood floor is needing to be replaced entirely. There is probably frame rust to be dealt with. It leaks, guaranteed, but you can get all of the window seals and such to fix that.
On the bright side, it has the door-in-a-door, and zolotone paint, and those fantastic 1964 colors!

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thinking about buying a '64 Overlander - Questions

Greetings Mellow Mike!

I have owned my '64 Overlander since 1995, and thoroughly enjoy the coach. Mine was a well-maintained original 2-owner coach. I haven't found any particular weak spots in mine. I even lucked out and have had sound floors with minimal leaking to deal with over the years. I haven't had tremendous trouble finding replacement parts, but I have kept my eyes open over the years and purchased NOS parts that I think may be needed in the future and placed them in my restoration parts storage room at home.

The cabinet latches are almost impossible to replace - - they were imported from Europe, and were used for only two years according to what I have been told. The latches are quite durable, but one may fail from time to time - - I have one that failed last year (but it may be repairable as it appears that an internal spring broke that should be replaceable).

The hinges for the door-within-a-door also need to be examined. They are very difiicult to replace, and there have been problems with fatigue cracks develolping over time. I have just begun noticing those fatigue cracks in my upper hinge - - but I was fortunate to acquire one NOS hinge about a decade ago . . . . so the repair can be accomplished when it becomes necessary.

My water tank is also below the streetside bunk. Mine gave up after 35 years and developed a split that ran horizontally along the top of the tank. A new tank was easily sourced through my usual Airstream dealer (Ace Fogdall, Cedar Falls, IA). I still have my original range, but the refrigerator, air conditioner, furnace, water heater, and water pump have all been replaced over the years.

I don't know all of the factors that contributed to the issue, but I did have to have rear end separation repaired on my coach in 1997. Speculation is that the dealer added spare tire carrier on the back bumper was the major culprit in advancing the separation issue.

My most recent repair was replacement of the black water tank. This was replaced just one year ago. It was readily available through at least two regular Airstream dealers' parts departments. As with many things Airstream, it was costly, but the technician who handled the replacement was pleasantly surprised by how well the replacement tank matched the original.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Excellent information! Thanks for all the replys.

Well, the one '64 in question is a no-go. The bumper had a hitch on it and they used it to tow a fishing boat! Yikes!!!! Is that even legal?

Combined with the plywood window encasing the air conditioner in the back window, this would be a prime candidate for rear end separation.

4CU 1st VP

Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Mike, the rear-end issue was there when it left the factory, as it was on all '64s. If I found one that had not separated yet I would still fix it because it is a design and assembly problem. The hitch on the bumper could only have made it show up a little sooner than it would have. My Airstream is only 22' long and the rear had separated on it long ago. It just wasn't as noticable as it would be on a longer trailer.

Best to you,
Rich the Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Excellent information! Thanks for all the replys.

Well, the one '64 in question is a no-go. The bumper had a hitch on it and they used it to tow a fishing boat! Yikes!!!! Is that even legal?

Combined with the plywood window encasing the air conditioner in the back window, this would be a prime candidate for rear end separation.
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
I agree with Rich on that one, they all need a fix. I would be more worried about the window frame, painted (esp poorly ) zolotone, and woodwork and working running lights so you dont have to remove interior skins to fix a wiring problem.
Kevin