Old 08-20-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Pflugerville , Texas
Question Wiring for electrical horn on 310

Hi everyone;
I have been lurking this forum for some time now. I have one question that I cannot find a thread on so I have registered and hopefully I can also provide some help to other fellow airstreamers. I've got my 310 in Florida after it had been setting up for five years. The previous owner did go out and start it up every month so wasn't much of a job to get it roadworthy. Just a new set of tires and some break fluid. The shake down cruse to Texas went fairly well. Met tropical Depression Bertha on the way back but the airstream really handles well. I'm now trying to get ready for Texas vehicle inspection. I had to remove the window tinting film on the front windows, that is a no-no in Texas. It has electrical roof mounted horns and both are bad. Probably a result of no inspection laws in Florida. I would like to pull out some of the old wiring to the horn because it's quite aged and brittle and I was wondering if anybody knew where the first availablelocation is that I might be able to snake in new wires as I pull out the old ones. Any help would be much appreciated.

shelocta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:56 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Hi Bill,
Now Austin is going to have 3 Classis MH's?
If your electrical horns are in a similar location as the air horns, you may have to remove the inside wall panel to the left of the drivers seat under the window. Most likely the wires are going inside of the first roof frame at the rivet line and then down the side inside the wall.
An easier way might be to pull the horns and run a new wire into the first overhead cabinet behind the drivers seat, then down the side for a couple of feet.
Glad to know of another MH forum member in Austin. I will have to come see your rig.

1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 08:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
WELCOME, AND GLAD TO HAVE YOU!! We encourage you to post anytime you have a question, as it always helps some others as well.
The 310 is a true Classic. Post some photos if you are able.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 09:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Pflugerville , Texas

I would like to post the conclusion of the horn project. I was able to pull enough slake wire that I didn’t have to splice new wires. I bought the horns at boatfix.con, much cheaper then any thing else I could find on the Internet. (AFI10026XL HORN DELUXE DUAL TRUMPET $90.27) They are tuned to a lower pitch because they are for nautical use. This is OK by me. The hole pattern was a perfect match, sometimes you win. On my 310 I found the horn relay loose in the wiring harness near the GM fuse panel hidden behind the cruse control controller. Maybe this will help someone in the future.
shelocta is offline   Reply With Quote