Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #1

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Evergreen , Colorado
Windshield replacement on '85 Airstream 325

The front drivers windshield on my 1985 Airstream 325 class A silver bullet was cracked in about 6 spots during a recent hail storm. It's covered by insurance. I need advice on how to go about getting replacement glass and installation. The windshield is in two sections. I worry about seals at the center seam etc. Should I insist that both windshield sections be replaced?
Where do I find glass to fit?
I'm located in the Denver area.
Any feedback, advice would be appreciated. Contact ronisaacson@me.com
Ronspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I assume you have your problem solved by now Ron.

Welcome to the AF. Usually there is plenty of help and suggestions to any problem here on Airforums, but it looks like your request got lost in the summer July rush.

Some good general information is available on this site.
Bus Coach RV Windshield Installation Tips, Motorhome Windshields and Glass Products

Some of the information is included below.
  • Stress Cracks: Stress cracks are most often the result of increased flexibility in older coaches brought on by normal wear and tear. The body flexes more around the windshield, which pinches or binds the glass. This is a common problem as a coach ages. Replacing a stress-cracked windshield is fixing the results of a problem, not the problem itself. For this reason, we do not recommend warranting installations that are necessitated by stress cracks.
  • All glue-in fiberglass cap models: In the original engineering process, windshields are installed at the factory in the cap, before the cap is attached to the body. The cap with the installed windshield is then attached to the body. In some cases, the installation requires the cap with the windshields to be either stretched or compressed to fit the body. In these cases, replacement windshields installed after manufacture, including OE windshields, may not fit as well as they should. Other than wet-sanding the edge of the windshields, no remedy has yet been identified for this problem.
  • Front Cap Sag: On many two-piece windshield installations, when both windshields are removed at the same time, the top of the front cap will sag. To avoid this problem, we recommend replacing the windshields one at a time. For additional technical assistance about this issue, contact us at (800) 714-7171.
  • Gasket Replacement: We recommend replacing only damaged windshield gaskets. Replacing a gasket in good condition unnecessarily adds to the risk of breaking a windshield during the removal and re-installation process."
We hope you are enjoying that 325.

Any future posts re-guarding your 325 I suggest you put them in the motorhome section under 'Classic Motorhomes' where you will get more of a response than posting in the other detailed threads that deal more with the trailers.
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
That's good information Dave but doesn't really apply to the classic aluminum Airstream coaches. The roof structure is not supported by the glass. The windshield is not a glue in but held in the gasket by a locking key or strip. The gasket is a single gasket for both sides. You cannot replace the gasket for one side without replacing the entire gasket. This gets to be fun if the unbroken side is old glass as it gets brittle with age. The chance of removing it and reinstalling in a new gasket without breaking it are pretty low. The insurance companies know this and will argue about it but in the end they wind up buying both pieces of glass. I learned all this first hand not too long ago.

Also apologies to Ronspaceman for missing this post, it did as they say "Fall through the cracks."

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #4

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Evergreen , Colorado
My 325 needs a new home

I have had a professional replace the entire front windshield on my 325 with a new one obtained from Airstream. Changes in life and lifestyle now necessitate that I sell the Silver Bullet and find it a new home. It now located in the Denver area. If anyone is looking for one they should contact me at ronisaacson@me.com
Ronspaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Put an ad up in the Classifieds, Ron. People expect to see things for sale there, unlike here in the Forums.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Also, ads are free and they do work. I've sold a bunch of parts from a 345 through the classifieds.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Ron, put it in the Classifieds, and also add it to the Classics for sale in the Classic section here...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote