Old 07-14-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Window tinting

I would like to add tinting film to the inside of the windows of our 71 Safari. Has anyone tried to do this? If so, is it hard to apply since the windows only open up about half way? Therefore, the film would have to be applied from below.
I noticed that Camping World had some in their catalog. Just wondered if it would work.
Dan

Old 07-14-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It can be a PITA (pain in the axx). If you want a professional look, it takes large chunks of time if you haven't done it before.

My suggestion would be for the overall cost to take it to a tinting place. It will look fantastic and you won't have to invent a new vocabulary while attempting it.

There are some folks with the paitence to do that, but for me, I'm not one of them, so luckly for me the Bambi has tinted glass.

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I agree on getting a professional tinter. If you are a professional wallpaper hanger then MAYBE you can tint it yourself but then you will run into a problem of getting a quality tint. Most brands that can be found on the shelf at your local stores are inferior, GILA is the first that comes to mind. You have to be a dealer to get the good stuff. I had a buddy with a tint shop do my Overlander. I had removed all the screens for redo so they were able to tint them in a closed position. I wouldn't think the cost would be much more than for a large sport utility such as a Suburban or a 15 pass van. Maybe check with your preferred local RV dealer and see who does their tinting.

Chas
Old 07-14-2003, 07:05 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Chas,

What brand of tint did your buddy use? How dark did you go? Would you do anything differently?

I'd like to do my Ambassador. My goal is a window renovation, first taking the inner pane out of the VV's and clean up the fogging, new weatherstripping, new screens (maybe) and those fuzzy channel strips where the handles enter and while they are out of the frame, tint.

I was using my trailer down on the family farm a couple of weeks ago in South GA. I was on 12v power only and had windows open and the new fantastic fan going, overall pretty comfortable.
Until I noticed the bugs coming in from all the openings around the handles. Spent the next half hour figuring out which windows I could safely open and smacking bugs against the ceiling with a small towel (the round shape makes it surprisingly effective). Another funny thing was to see how many became stuck to the FF's screen as the fan blew out. Alas, it was only temporary humor because when I turned the fan off they came out of their suspended animation to torment me.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i did my mh amd will not do that again. will find some one to do any future jobs. it is a total pain . dont do wall paper either. i used the limo black looks great. lol
al
Old 07-14-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Dan,

I think it was Madico tint, 3M is also ok but overrated, you basically are paying for the name. I pulled all my screen frames, sanded and repainted them, new fuzzy seals and new screens. (I had a screen shop do that, just like tinting and hanging wallpaper, I have no patience for such jobs) I went with a dark tint, limo I think. I can run around naked and no one can see in. (OK, I agree, too much information!) The vistas got tinted also after I removed the inner panes and resealed them. I also did the front glass, the middle thermal unit needs to be separated which is easily done on mine by removing the screws. The side thermo panes are trickier, I removed the sealed units by drilling out the rivets, removed the inner panes and put them back together with silicone and spacer material. Then had them tinted, everything is holding up well, no leaks at all. Take a look at my pics and see what you think, I think the beer and door gasket one.

Chas
Old 07-14-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Not ttoo bad

My current trailer is factory tinted, but I did my Scamp myself some 15 years ago i didn't think it was terribly hard to do and I had no bubbles in the tint when I sold the trailer after about 5 years. I bought the tint material at Pep Boys, best grade that they had.

I used a neutral tint which was plenty dark enough that people couldn't see in. Biggest trouble was Cardinals attacking their reflections in the windows. I could watch them from 6" away.

Tinting improved my air conditioning performance tremendously, especially in the bed area where the AC couldn't blow directly..

Biggest requirement is that the glass must be absolutly clean.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 11:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
For some reason I cannot view anyone's photos. Is this a glitch from the server going down?
I would like to see what the tinting looks like, as I have been considering it in my MH. I may not though because I wouldn't be able to see out back at night (no camera), and I think the panoramiv view is reduced.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:20 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Thanks to all for your replies. Since I just replaced all the screens on our trailer, I'll have to have the tinting applied from outside, on the inside of the glass. I think I will go to a tinting shop for the work, like suggested.
Dan
Old 07-15-2003, 05:32 AM   #10
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Tricks of the trade

For some reason there is a showing of hands that feels that this is difficult to do.

The whole window will slide to either side, open the window and slip the arm out of the track.

Remove the window, take it into your nice air conditioned enviroment. Clean the window real well and precut your film. Then apply with soapy solution. The cleaner the window the better your results will be.

If you get a crease in the film near the edge, you can remove it with a blow dryer.

This is litterally a cake walk if you remove the window. The window will re-install just as easily as it came out.

Window film is cheap, installers are not! You figure that an average 2 door car will run you a hundered dollars and probably more.

Remember to remove the existing film that was applied by the factory. It is clear and some folks do not realize that it is there.

it is no fun paying some one else to do it, do it yourself!

Smily
Old 07-15-2003, 09:00 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Ditto Smily,

Just remove the window and do it yourself! Windows are easy to remove, and since they are all relatively small and only have moderate curves (except the front), the film will be easy to apply.

Try one first and then decide if you want to pay someone.

Tripp
Old 07-15-2003, 10:57 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree if you want to try it, go for it, but given the broad range of skillsets and the different quality stuff around the country, to me it would be worth a few hundred bucks to have a pro do it. All the edges are perfect, there usually is a warranty, etc.

But by all means, try yourself first if you have a good set of tools and an basic understanding of how to get to the spaces you need to get to even if you have to remove some parts to do it. I would guess that most installers don't have a bunch of exp doing RVs, but if they screw it up, they are liable (usually).

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 03:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I feel a lot more comfortable doing my '72 than doing Eric's '03!

While I will do mine IF I can find some quality tint, I can certainly see where someone with a new coach may be a ittle skittish. This, of course, does not pertain to Pahaska!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:14 PM   #14
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Another option vs window tinting would be to install solar screens. They allegedly can block up to 90% of the suns rays. I intalled them on the west facing side of my home and they had a dramatic effect in reducing the suns heat coming in through those windows (east side windows are all shaded by trees). This is what I considering on my 69 trailer, since all the sreens are in need of being replaced anyways. Window screen replacing is easy compared to window tinting.

John