Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2002, 06:37 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Window Covers

I notice that there are snaps (on the exterior)on each corner of the windshield, driver and passenger side windows. I assume they're for putting covers on to keep the sun and weather elements out. I know I could have someone just make some to fit but maybe they're available through a source? Does anyone out there us these and if so where could I get the covers that go on them?

Thanks for your help,
Ken
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
mine came with the front cover, a green canvas type that fits as you described. I find it difficult to use, in most instances, so I use the silver sun protectant bubble material that comes in a big roll. We cut it to fit the side windows, roof vents, door window,and front windshield. Then I bound the edges with the silver insulated tape. The roll was under 20 bucks and covered it all.
It has worked great all summer to keep out the sun and heat, and we use it at night for privacy as well, instead of a front wrap around curtain. The roof vent covers have a couple of small velcro tabs to keep them attached. The stuff all rolls up and stashes in a closet when not needed.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 07:14 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Alan for the info.....your approach sounds much easier.

Ken
Old 09-15-2002, 09:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
here is a photo fo a similiar install, although this one is a pre-made. I was able to find the roll and my wife and I cut out all the necessary pieces from it. The premade may have a better binding, but the metallic tape ,so far has held up.
Attached Images

ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 07:42 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I'll head to Camping world and round some up....sounds like a fun and easy job.

Thanks again,
Ken
Old 09-16-2002, 02:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

OUR 1972 OVERLANDER HAD THE SAME SNAPS AND CAME WITH ZIPDEE COVERS THAT MATCHED THE AWNING. WE LIKED THE FRONT AND BACK SO MUCH I SEWED THE WINDOW COVERS ALL AROUND. i'M SURE YOU COULD CONTACT ZIP DEE AND GET THE FULL STORY.
THIS IS GREAT IF YOU ARE NOT RUNNING THE AIR CONDIDTIONER BUT WHEN THE WINDOWS HAVE TO BE SHUT IT IS AWFULL DARK.
WE ARE STILL PLANNING TO GET A SIDE AWNING BUT THE MOTORHOME IS THE PRIORITY NOW.
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #7

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Siloam , North Carolina
I have a friend of mine that has developed a window show for the exterior of RV windows and he is going to make a set for my 06 25 Safari LS. The company is called Magne Shade. He has a webiste you can look at www.magneshade.com . It has magnets on the interior glass and magnets build into the shade that attaches on the exterior glass. You can walk up to the window with the shade and the magnets do the rest when you hold it up to the glass. 3 minutes and you have the front windows covered. Different colors available and he can even print a photo on the shade if you would like. I am working on patters for him where he can add it to his inventory of items. It will cut the heat down 20% to 30%. They can be left on year around they don't fade.
1hdjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
My 345 had grey privacy screen with snaps. They snapped over the front and side windows for privacy. They let in light and you could still see out.

Honestly, I did not use them much. The 345 was so tall that I tool a step ladder to snap them on the top. I wasn't that impressed with the look either. They might have worked for storage.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
seanbassador63'

1963 28' Ambassador
seminole , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to seanbassador
Question question please ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
mine came with the front cover, a green canvas type that fits as you described. I find it difficult to use, in most instances, so I use the silver sun protectant bubble material that comes in a big roll. We cut it to fit the side windows, roof vents, door window,and front windshield. Then I bound the edges with the silver insulated tape. The roll was under 20 bucks and covered it all.
It has worked great all summer to keep out the sun and heat, and we use it at night for privacy as well, instead of a front wrap around curtain. The roof vent covers have a couple of small velcro tabs to keep them attached. The stuff all rolls up and stashes in a closet when not needed.
My 1963 Ambassador has outdoor window covers with velcro straps at the top, and fitted corners. green with white cotton tassels. Are they factory ? i beleive they are ? please respond to seanster741@yahoo.com thank you. Sean.
seanbassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Sean,

I suggest you start a thread with your question in the '63 Ambassador section on the forum. Just use the forum tab, vintage trailers, then 1963 Ambassador to get there. I think you will get an answer to your question there faster than as an add on to another thread. Good luck, it sounds like you got a screaming deal on your new trailer.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote