Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #61
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Roger that! What a shame.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #62

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Classic MoHo's....

I have to say that since I purchased my '95 Classic Pusher 36 in September that I have simply been thrilled! I just finished having all the various systems checked out and any maintenance work done and am on to driving and enjoying! In driving all over the country it has been rare to see an A/S let alone a Classic MoHo so really value what I have! If any of you are interested I would love to try and organize a rally for MoHo's to someplace exciting (and safe) such as ALASKA or Canada! Let me know - and in the meantime you can keep up with me at www.airstreamlife.org

I've attached a photo of my moho, and another right behind her, with an A/S trailer in the lead on a trip to Alaska back in the '90's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100915144757.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	114276  
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Hello GREENovators

what year, Model did you own for the trip to Alaska ?

did you write an article about the adventure.

thank You

John
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Happy New Year all you mo/ho types!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OP, Bess.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	118605  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #65
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Stir the Pot

I have to get my 2 cents in here and stir the pot.
Each man to his own desires and needs.
The Airstream f/g motor home may not shine in the sun like an aluminum, but it doesn't sweat like an aluminum unit either. Its is cooler and warmer when you want it. It has more storage, depending on model, and, if not artistic, is more practicable for most users.
The 95/96 Clipper was probably the best idea Airstream managed during the f/g production run. It was, by todays standard, a simple unit to maintain, yet it had all the B/W for the day. It had an amazing (over 6000#) carrying capacity for a unit at that time or since. It was a heavy duty raised rail chassis, with well matched power train. I have for the non-believers attached some info.
Yes, I like aluminum also, but I have not seen any that will do the job for me at a price I can afford. Otherwise I would have bought a Prevost.
Have a good 2011 and please do wave when we met on the road. We are ALL proud AIRSTREAM owners.

I might add that the production changes were many as the model was produced, and some of the original specs were improved as the low number were produced.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7499bcfe0fcb5454.pdf (1.18 MB, 153 views)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
What the heck is that pdf about? I gave up trying (short attention span) to download it. Don't forget to blink your lights, we might not recognize an AS box on the road.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #67
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Pdf

Mike

The attachment should work. It is the original spec sheet supplied to sales for the Clipper. As I say, the specs changed as the project progressed. I have not seen a unit that was equipped with the 250HP Cummins. Most, if not all, were 300HP.
Yes, the aluminum are easy to see approaching on the highway, and I ALWAYS wave.

Dave
Old 01-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Well Dave, the cutter, and or clipper is a fine beast all in a class by itself

It was a shame they Pulled the plug on the Production and Only a few were manufactured.

I think the land Yacht, Is what most streamers refer to as a Fiberglass what ever ???

Not the cutter,clipper units
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #69
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Family

I realize this post has some dated posts but discussion is always good.

I know what everyone dreams to own, and that is, something that they are proud to drive. Most people will buy new to cut down on the effort (skill), but not the cost, required to keep it "show". For new autos and trucks, sometimes about all that is unique from your neighbors is the color.
The same with MH's. The units are generally built on similar chassis and the trim and bling makes the product different.

Now then -- there are those who value past production and go to great pain to maintain and show the older vehicles in the style of the period. Everyone appreciates a restored unit when they see it, but few have the time, skill or resources to take on that kind of project.
We do, in most cases, tend to fall into an area we are comfortable with and if that is different than the norm, then sobeit. We are putting the effort into it to satisfy ourselves first. That's what is important.

I believe the Airstream FAMILY all have the same goal, and that is to enjoy family, friends, and experiences that they expect will increase with ownership of an AIRSTREAM, whether tin or plastic, large or small, powered or pulled.

Dave
Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Happy New Year all you mo/ho types!
You Mean to Say REAL MOTOR HOME TYPES
do you not
Old 02-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
I find it interesting you refer to the fiberglass constructed MH as plastic and having no distinctive features....... the reason you don't see as many Airstream MH undoubtedly was the price, but had little to do with changing from aluminum to a fiberglass shell.
Thank you, Gloran. We are the very proud owners of a 2005 ASLYG 30 with slide. Like yours, this unit is distinctive because of it's low profile. It is well built and has many stunning interior features in common with AS trailers. The "low profile" features include it's aerodynamic front end, a narrower body than other boxier types, and less bulk all the way around. Also, they are lower to the ground, have a lower center of gravity and are more easily maneuverable.

Wherever we go, we receive lots of attention and compliments because of the sharp look and obvious Airstream quality of our unit. Fiberglass and all, it is still an Airstream. We feel very fortunate to be able to own and preserve such a fine display of AS craftmanship.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Clearwater , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
Thank you, Gloran. We are the very proud owners of a 2005 ASLYG 30 with slide. Like yours, this unit is distinctive because of it's low profile. It is well built and has many stunning interior features in common with AS trailers. The "low profile" features include it's aerodynamic front end, a narrower body than other boxier types, and less bulk all the way around. Also, they are lower to the ground, have a lower center of gravity and are more easily maneuverable.

Wherever we go, we receive lots of attention and compliments because of the sharp look and obvious Airstream quality of our unit. Fiberglass and all, it is still an Airstream. We feel very fortunate to be able to own and preserve such a fine display of AS craftmanship.
Michigander... I agree with you on the 30 SO. I love mine. Its a 2004 30 SO Silver and Black and to me its a very well made coach. I was in a 37 footer and decided to down size and get better gas mileage. I am not missing the space and happy about the gas mileage.

I am so glad I found this forum.
Colin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'm still a little confused, but that's normal for me. The "Classic" MH is the all-aluminum skin that looks (more or less) like an Airstream TT, right? The Land Yacht is a fiberglass-skinned MH that has a sloped nose similar to the Foretravel Gran Villa, right?

Both were available as DP models, although most were gassers, right?

Now the real questions. IF (and that's a big if) we go with a MH, it will be a DP. We're looking for a coach that is useable as a FT home. Most of the stays will be 1-2 weeks, with a few of a month possible. We will have a toad of 2500 pounds or less. Just two people and one cat. Which one(s) should I be looking for? We definitely like the looks of the Classic, but certainly would not object to the Land Yacht. Biggest concern is cargo capacity, both space and weight.

Are we barking up the wrong tree? We're also kicking around a 30-34' Classic TT. All vehicles will be used.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #74
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi David

I myself would never recommend an AS for fulltiming for a couple, because there isn't enough space (IMO).

The last classic MH rolled out the door at Jackson Center twenty years ago. As such the chassis would be quite old for someone to use to begin a fulltiming adventure considering that you'll end up in a hotel every night that the chassis is in the shop. There are also some parts availability problems -- I think that it's tag axle brake drums that are unavailable at any price for some models.

Others can comment on the LY but you might want to at least consider other makes to be able to view a broader selection of rigs.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #75
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
What you call full timing must be determined.
Are you planning on traveling the continent with short stays or is the plan to spend lengthy periods in different locations with short travel distance between?
OPTION 1:
If touring is your thing, then a no slide Class A DP unit would be best
OPTION 2:
And of course, one with lots of slides if planning on lengthy stays between travel.

Option 1 will require a solid HD chassis and drive train, and a well designed and engineered motorhome to deliver true satisfaction. Your unit should have energy systems including, diesel, propane, large battery power supplied by chassis, aux. generator, and solar. It should, if possible, have a mid mount door to allow absolute maximum comfort and visibility from the cockpit area with no wind noise or water leaks at the front door area. It will have a large kitchen as most meals will be prepared completely inside the unit. It will have excellent wardrobe storage, comfortable bathing facilities, and the unit must be comfortable in all weather conditions. ie good ventilation and heat and cooling ability.
It will have a raised rail chassis with large storage bays, and at least 100 US gal of fuel and water capacity.
It will have excellent handling on the highway with plenty of power to make your drive effortless.
In this HD class there are only a few motorhomes that really qualify. In later years most mid mount door options were special order.
Your looking for the best visibility possible from the front seats.

Then there is Option 2

Option 2
the priorities will be on living layout and comfort, and extras maybe a TV on the outside wall or in the basement compartment, outside cooking facilities, and maybe more dependence on ac power as you will be hooked up to shore power most of the time. The design of the chassis is not as important as you are only moving from one location to another to park. The brand of motorhome or chassis would be less important as you are parked and can wait on parts to be sourced. This requirement might allow a gasoline powered engine, gas or propane powered aux generator, all electric appliances etc. etc. The light duty chassis may suffice as you will not be putting the high miles on that would apply to option 1 above. The large storage area might not be needed as some stuff could be stored inside the unit or the toad for short moves.

Because this type of research takes many hours, I am going to cut if off here for others to comment.
Dave
Old 12-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
I'm still a little confused, but that's normal for me. The "Classic" MH is the all-aluminum skin that looks (more or less) like an Airstream TT, right? The Land Yacht is a fiberglass-skinned MH that has a sloped nose similar to the Foretravel Gran Villa, right?

Both were available as DP models, although most were gassers, right?
Fred's Airstream Archives - Motorhomes Index Page

If you want a DP Classic Airstream, the 36' units in 1994-1995 are your only option BUT they are hard to find! The prices are running $35k+ depending on condition. I have seem some as low as $29k but they need some work and go quickly.

The non-classic models also have some nice DP models. There are some LY units (1994 & 1995). The Clipper, Cutter, XC, and XL also have DP models. The good thing is that the prices continue to drop and there are some real bargains under $40k. The non-classic models have MUCH more basement storage. The XC and XL units have TONS of basement storage which is very handy on longer trips.

I hope that helps.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:05 PM   #77

1996 32' Cutter Bus
Petaluma , California
kb0zke,

Here's a quick summary of our experience so far....

We just got a 1996 '32 Airstream Cutter Diesel Pusher in June, 2011. We immediately went on a trip from our home in the San Francisco California Bay Area up to Vancouver Island, British Columbia, with plenty of sightseeing along the way. We've since did a few more trips and we have a blast every time, spending 1-3 weeks per trip. It's just me (41), ,my wife (39) and our four year old daughter. We are not lacking storage space or towing capacity on this rig. As a matter of fact, we have a lot of storage that goes unused. No slideouts and that doesn't bother us in the least. We're so used to camping in our previous rv (a 19 ft Bigfoot travel trailer), that we always pack light. It's a great length for maneuverability and MPG. We can squeeze into many county, state and federal campgrounds with this rig, which will come in handy as we plan many family trips to some of the great national parks in the US and Canada. We got 11.5 mpg on our first trip with no toad so we used the motorhome for most sightseeing, shopping, etc. with tons of hills in Oregon and Washington. We got 13 mpg on our most recent trip which was mostly flat freeway with toad. The previous owners ordered many upgrades from the factory, the most important one being the chassis upgrade, which has more horsepower and a 6-speed Allison transmission (versus the standard 4-speed) along with the Cummins 5.9 turbodiesel. As with any RV, this one has its issues.... and we just deal with them. The rig was meticulously maintained by the previous (first) owner, so most of our issues are nickel and dime issues. The previous owners spent 1-2 months in it every summer in Massachussets and never had a problem spending that much time in it. They towed a Jeep Grand Cherokee with all four wheels on the ground, while we tow one of our front wheel drive cars with a tow dolly. There were 3 of these for sale last summer with asking prices of $28k-$45k. I negotiated with all and the prices the sellers were willing to accept were between $23k-$30k. These were all excellently maintained rigs. You could pay around that much or a little less right now, if you can find one. Based on our experience, set aside another $2-$3k for things like shocks, tires, minor repairs, and engine/transmission maintenance. We're very happy with our Airstream motorhome!
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
airstream motorhome rv