Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2002, 12:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would think a good set of headers would be a less expensive alternative to a Banks system, and then add the Jacobs and you are set for under 1000 bucks. The cost versus savings equations, just don't add up for me to go with the Banks at this point.
I hope to get some nice headers, wrap them for heat protection, do the wrapped wiring on the starter wires, and add the Jacobs to mine...all in this next winter. If my wife doesn't think I am completely bonkers , that is.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 12:33 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Alan,
I had the Jacobs Ultra Team computer and wires on my '92 Chevy Z71 and noticed an instant torque increase as well as faster starting especially in winter. I experimented with the CTS43 AC plugs but found that the Champion Truck plugs seemed to run better in my engine when gapped .055. When this truck was rolled by my then 17 yr. old, the unit came off and went on a '92 Camaro RS which helped in starting only (poor engine to begin with). The unit was then taken off and put on a '90 Chevy k1500 4X4 Sport with Z71 package and it seems to run better. Mileage differences were not tested on the Camaro or the '90 K1500. The '92 Z71 did not see a mileage increase but then I was getting 19.5-21 mpg on the highway w/o AC. That truck had a 5.7 engine, 5 sp. manual trans. and 3.42 rear end. Apparently the system was running at close to peak efficiency before I put the Jacobs unit on. I bought it used at 38,000 miles and it was rolled with 143,000 miles.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:54 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

banks

Just wanted to say I got in touch with the banks people and seen if the system for my motorhome was still available . They said no. But they sent me a nice brochure on thare new products .But where do I find a used or new old stock system for my rig?
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:44 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
LARRY- seems like Camping World sells the Banks and has applications for P30 chassis mtorhomes. If you join their President's club for a a few bucks ( i forget how much) you then get 10% off the Banks price.
I still think though for 700-800 as it was stated somewhere in the forums, you can do a set of Hedman or some such exhausts, with
headers. I am saving the ducats to do that. Maybe I will build a still and sell moonshine to Northerners who pas thru here.
Or I may stick with what I have on my rig now, and just add the Jacobs.

So what is better the Jacobs RV or one of their other systems?
Old 08-23-2002, 09:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

hedman

Alansd, Im'looking for the real deal and not necessarily cost . I worked at an auto parts store.( Thrifty auto supply as a kid) and Hedman headers were the cheapest on the market at that time the small block chevy headers they made were ok.big block headers that they produce seemed to leak on most big block applications maybe the quality has gotten better . and who knows whats still available for the old big blocks.Blackdiamond use to make a high quality pipe for a few more bucks.But I have yet to meet a set of headers that you didn;t have to replace the collector gaskets at least twice a year If you drive the rig.
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 11:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Alan

I have a Jacobs that they pulled for QC check, the only thing it had was a valet switch. I think Newkid64 said in a post his had a torque or hill switch, it is probably an rv version, mine an automobile.

Larry

I have Hedman elite headers, they are a lot heavier than standard. Also have copper gaskets which seem to work better. Any good muffler shop should be able to bend a set of pipes as good as the Banks. Use large tube (mine are 3"), an H pipe, large low restriction mufflers (3" inlet and outlet Gibsons), and as few bends as possible (3 of about 30 degrees each side). Bet you will find they flow as good or better than Banks and cheaper.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 07:19 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks guys for the opinions on this one. You know the bottomless pit syndrome...I have that list of wants and needs that changes all the time. The exhaust is one of the wants, and since the stray tire on the highway bent one of my dual exhaust pipes, I have been considering doing it sooner.
But I also like the Jacobs, I think I might get a good bang for my buck with a set of their wires, and the ignition system.

Then its on to redo the striping, the carpet replacement, a new stereo, new a/c shroud, and whatever else I can come up with!
Old 08-24-2002, 12:34 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Guys,
Check the auto/truck speed sites for prices on Jacobs units. I also bought straight from the factory but they had a sale. I still could have bought cheaper through those other sites.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

I seem to really get mix responses on the Jacobs system. Any good mechanic I've showed it to doesn't seem to be impressed. Most think it's an overpriced gismo.....Even some of the people I've talked to who've had it installed didn't see much difference. Believe my if I felt I could get the slightest amount increase in power I'd do it but I'm not convinced yet. Anyone really out there thinks it the greatest thing since ?????

Sell me,
Ken
kzener40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:15 AM   #30
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I think it is a vast improvement over point distributor systems, but the newer electronic distributors have a much hotter spark. The Jacobs does seem to start easier in cold weather and other adverse conditions. I am sure it helps, but it is expensive for what is basically a coil.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote