Old 08-14-2003, 08:47 AM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Great advice from everyone. My whirring occurs at different speeds and rpms and seems to be related more to the relative speed between the driveline and the engine, so I'm not ruling out balancing, but I'm looking for a mechanical culprit first.

If I'm under there I might as well replace the carrier bearings, check the diff fluid levels and the lube the trans yoke. Like my Dad told me, you can do it right the first time or you can do it again! I'll be sure to chock the wheels (all of the wheels) and mark the relative positions on the driveshafts before disassembly.

I figure if I replace all of the bolt on stuff and it's still whirring then I'll bring it to a truck shop. An advantage to living in Louisville is that we are a huge distribution/logistics point so there are many very good truck shops in town.

This must be payback for how easy it was to get the gen, fridge, airs and plumbing working! I'm cabin camping this weekend in Indiana so it will have to wait till next week

Do you know if NAPA sells the carrier bearings? They have part numbers for U Joints for the 86 P30 ($7.99 each). Are they the same all the way down?

PeterH it sounds like you've done this at least once. Any tips, suggestions, caveats?

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 09:39 AM   #16
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
My .02 worth.

Take the drive shaft out, load it in the truck and take to a napa that can press out the U-joints and do the carrier bearing. They will stock them. They can also do the rebalancing of the shaft.

There sometimes is a mix and match going on with the U joints.

This way you eliminate 5 pieces that could be problems.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 09:48 AM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
geez, I never heard of a NAPA shop that can do that stuff...not around here, anyway. My brother-in-law specializes in driveline repair and so forth. One of the reasons he's so busy all the time is that he's one of the very very few people around here that can actually DO it. (and metro-boston ain't small).
Old 08-14-2003, 09:51 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Great advice Brett. Its really not that expensive of a repair. One that I personally would leave up to professionals.

Jai
Old 08-14-2003, 09:58 AM   #19
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Brett,
My neighborhood NAPA is also a machine shop so I like this idea a lot. We are also extra lucky because one of their Distribution Centers is ten minutes from my office so getting parts should not be an issue.

The last thing I want to do is turn this into a bigger problem. I've replaced U Joints in Jeeps and pickups but never on something as big and heavy duty as the AS. I'll check with the NAPA guy this afternoon and see what they can and can't do. I like the AS because so many repairs and improvements fall into the DIY category, but I know when I'm in over my head!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 10:01 AM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I am speaking from experience. I did a carrier and 2 u-joints on the 76 and it was a bear.

The carrier on the 78 had to pressed on and off. The NAPA shop in north Dallas could do it, but they may send it out. I had the carrier pressed on at a small parts shop in Duncanville, TX. The U joints and balancing were done when the engine was replaced as part of the driveline upgrade.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 06:57 AM   #21
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
...and the lube the trans yoke. Like my Dad told me, you can do it right the first time or you can do it again! .....
The "ears" of the trans yoke wear, which allows the first u-joint to be installed ever so slightly off-center. It's a fairly inexpensive item to replace.

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote