Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

What to look for when buying classic

Hey, guys and gals. im new here and i am looking to buy an old airstream. I have always liked them but havent been serious about buying one until now. i was just wondering is there any number of things that i should look for when im out looking at them. I know to look for leaks and such but i dont know if there are any notorious problems i should know about. I would like to find one that is from the 50s or 60s from a 15 foot to 17 foot. I would be in your debt, thank you.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 03:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

everything ! do a search and read heavily as many posts as you can, yes it seems overwelming. one thing i have learned through personal experience , corrosion from the inside out. when airstreams seams go bad [and they do] water held in the insulation will eat the exterior and interior skins from the inside. this shows up as dark spots or flakes in early stager , holes in later stages.
roger
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What to look for when buying classic

Greetings loki!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki
Hey, guys and gals. im new here and i am looking to buy an old airstream. I have always liked them but havent been serious about buying one until now. i was just wondering is there any number of things that i should look for when im out looking at them. I know to look for leaks and such but i dont know if there are any notorious problems i should know about. I would like to find one that is from the 50s or 60s from a 15 foot to 17 foot. I would be in your debt, thank you.
If you haven't already checked-out the Vintage Airstream Price vs. Condition page, it may help you with some of the potential issues with a Vintage coach. The size that you are considering has been in high demand and as such there is often significant competition when a desirable unit come onto the market.

If the critical issues for your are the coach's size and weight, you might want to consider the Argosy 20 (1972-1977) or the Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre (1977-1979). The Argosy 20 and the Minuet 6.0 Metre are very similar - - the primary difference is that the Argosy 20 is 7' 8" wide while the Minuet is 7' wide (the floorplans of the two coaches are virtually identical). A scan of the Minuet brochure page is included below:

Good luck with your research and search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
are you looking for a Motorhome or Trailer?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:30 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

im looking for a trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
are you looking for a Motorhome or Trailer?
a trail is what we need, and like. I have a ranger and my girlfriend a outback so wieght is an issue.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings loki!

Welcome to the Forums!

If you haven't already checked-out the Vintage Airstream Price vs. Condition page, it may help you with some of the potential issues with a Vintage coach. The size that you are considering has been in high demand and as such there is often significant competition when a desirable unit come onto the market.

If the critical issues for your are the coach's size and weight, you might want to consider the Argosy 20 (1972-1977) or the Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre (1977-1979). The Argosy 20 and the Minuet 6.0 Metre are very similar - - the primary difference is that the Argosy 20 is 7' 8" wide while the Minuet is 7' wide (the floorplans of the two coaches are virtually identical). A scan of the Minuet brochure page is included below:

Good luck with your research and search!

Kevin
thanks for the info. as i am still so new here i have been reading as much as possible, but still had not yet come across this thankyou. last night i read into the wee hours of the morning about how the inside panels are sturcturel and that you need to check the wireing. thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger n cindy
everything ! do a search and read heavily as many posts as you can, yes it seems overwelming. one thing i have learned through personal experience , corrosion from the inside out. when airstreams seams go bad [and they do] water held in the insulation will eat the exterior and interior skins from the inside. this shows up as dark spots or flakes in early stager , holes in later stages.
roger
thats a great thing to know about the dark spots. are those on the inside or out or both.