Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
what model year?

I just recieve my pink slip today,when I bought my MH the contract said its a 1985 Airstream 345.The dealer had some trouble doing the paper work and it took 5 months to finnally get the registration and the title.Now my registration and title shows that its a 1984 chevy,not a 1985 Airstream.Is this a common practice by DMV, this is my first MH so I have no Idea?It does't realy matter to me about the year because this the one we realy like.I think they change the overhead cabinets after 1985 to wooden cabinet,We like the dc 9 style cabinet.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
The Chevy P-30 truck chasis VIN may be a 1984 model but the AS coach would be a 1985. AS 345's did have the 'DC-9' overhead bins in 1985. Just for fun, I remind everyone to 'be careful as contents may have shifted during travel'. They went to wood for the 1986. There are very few changes in the 345's betwen 1984 and 1985.

One big thing to look into is that the 1986's had a rear electric fuel pump to correct fuel supply problems in the 1984 and 1985 345's.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
1984 or 1985 -- Does it matter?

You bet, it matters -- at the parts store, anyway.

Evidently Airstream would bulk purchase a number of bare chassis, as an example, in my case, 1986 model chassis'.

When they got around to completing them, they may sell them as the following year model. Again, in my case, as a 1987 model.

To the consumer, it really doesn't matter, 'cause you get what you buy. I suspect they made slight changes over the entire course of the model run. But..........

At the parts store, make sure you give them the year of the chassis model.

In my case (AS 1987 model vs Chevy 1986 chassis) there was a huge difference in the engine components (86 chassis vs 87 chassis). ('86 Carburetor vs '87 fuel injection.) Many of the components are different, SMOG control, fuel pump, belts, etc.

When attempting to replace an engine part, I have found it best to have the part in hand when I walk into the parts store, it may well save another round trip to pick up the proper part, and a lot of frustration attempting to get the wrong part to fit.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 12:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Chino , California
Its true I dont care about the year so long as thats the one you like,I m just a little concern about the value if we want to sell it in the future.I purchase a 1985 but my registration is 1984, if you are buying a car that would make a big diffrance.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:18 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
DMV registers the chassis in some states, that what it sounds like here. Airstream called it an 85 based on when they delivered it complete and for sale as an 85 coach. It looks like this is normal for the first batch of any given year. My 76 Argosy was a 75 chassis. I don't think it will effect the resale value at this point the coach is close to being vintage anyhow!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote