Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2002, 06:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Smile Want to make/buy a Motorcycle for my Land Yacht

Does anyone have plans to build a motorcycle carrier for my Land Yacht? Or, is there a place to buy a carrier for a 750# motorcycle for less than $1000.00? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Jeb
Old 08-18-2002, 07:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
How about this?

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/globalri.../welinbag.html
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Lifts

In a Harley Rag magizine called thunder press they advertize a hydrauic lift that can handle a hog .I have also seen a type that uses a cable winch that might be a little cheaper. I'm looking for a wells cargo trailer that can handle 2 hogs and some gear 12' max to go behind my excella so we can go to some of the events further away then we want to ride or just to have insted of a tow rig. some states (not ours) you can tow triple so you might be able to use a single rail trailer.
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 01:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Length...

Hi Larry...and ALL,
Mmmm...Let me get this right...You have a 30 odd foot unit, and you wish to pull a trailer...making it even LONGER ???...lmao, Tell me PLEASE...is there NO law to say how LONG your total LENGTH may be...I've SEEN your TRUCKS out there, and I am impressed to say the least, but a private vehicle that LONG...I towed a 12ft x 5ft x 3ft high trailer with my tiny car, and NEARLY got the " BOOK " thrown at me...lmao...it WAS a caravan chassis turned into a dump-it trailer, it even had BIGGER wheels than my car did...I bet that knocks your FUEL bill sky high, well good luck to you...Chris.....
Old 08-24-2002, 01:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Chris,
Most States have a maximun length law on the books but they differ considerably. Some States also allow you to hook up several trailers in a row and others do not. When I visited my folks in Texas last year, we spent a week jetskiing at a lake. When we left at the end of the week, my sister hooked her jetski trailer up to her Nissan pickup while one of her coworkers hooked up his popup camper. I then watched him back up and hook the popup to another trailer with a golf cart on it. His Ford 1/2 ton pickup then drove down the road and headed 75 miles back to his house. Strange sight. We could not do that in Tennessee. It was just a few years ago that TN. allowed tandem trailers pulled by semis. Before that it was just one long trailer.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 05:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
In Colorado you can pull more than one trailer as long as the total maximum length of 70' isn't exceeded.

I found this link RV Towing. It lists all the requirements for each state.

A unique example (vintage fire truck, '65 Caravel & a Tear-Drop) was observed at the Estes Park Rally...and yes, he did back into the space, with an audience to boot!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fire-teardrop.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	463  
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
My father-in-law, with a Ford F250 4X4, hooks his 20' SilverStreak travel trailer up then hooks his 16' fishing boat up to the trailer. He has towed this rig all over Texas. I would not do it, but it is legal.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 09:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I wouldn't either...it just doesn't seem right! I have enough trouble with just one "thing" trailing me!

Actually, this fellow said he also has a tiny boat & trailer that gets attached behind the Teardrop. He doesn't do that often, but it has been done without a problem...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 07:31 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
try these guys http://www.cornprotrailers.com/ldut.html
i got a real nice utility trailer 6x8' with a 5000lb axle for $800 a number of years ago.
i have hauled 3 small bikes or two large bikes in it.

it also doubles as a good trailer for wood, junk or whatever.

the other nice thing is that it runs on 15" car tires, so if you get a flat you can find spares just about any where.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 12:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Cool How long....

Good Evening All....
Many THANK'S for the info, I still can't get my head around it all...LOL, we have a few long ones over here about 45-50 foot long, but NOTHING the size you all mention, I have seen a camper pulling a car, on I-4, but was so gob-smacked about being on our first vacation in your wonderful land, I guess I did'nt realy take it in...but there you have it...I just wonder why you don't have ONE law to cover ALL the states, I know that some time ago, the big Western Hauliers were NOT allowed on the East-Coast roads, something to do with SIZE or WEIGHT...or TAXES...not quite sure realy, does it still apply...????
I bet the 70-footers get about 5-8 mpg...Tell you what I saw in '01, on 192 Kissimmee, work was being carried out to beautify the area, ( that's where I crashed the hire 7 seater...Oooops !! )
It was a huge dumper type truck, with a big compressor thing on the FRONT bumper...and a huge platform out back with a mini road roller sitting on it, I was so amused at the sight, the Guy behind me blew his horn a few times to get me to move along...well I DID'NT want to miss a darn thing, it was MY vacation too, and I wanted to get my EYEBALL'S WORTH..lmao
Well THANK'S once more for putting up with me, and helping me out...Chris.....