Old 01-18-2003, 06:38 AM   #16
Lanny

1954 15' Byam Holiday
1955 15' Byam Holiday
Athens , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to lwebb Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb
1954 prototype

Hey John,
Al Hesselbart*emailed me that his friend Bud Cooper is very familiar with the Holiday and nearly owned one when new.* Bud says it was a small production prototype model made only in 1954 to see if the customer would buy the caravan styling as opposed to the typical Airstream styling.* The test failed and they were never put into real market production.* The prototype unit was built by a Jack Oakley and John Taylor for Wally.**
On the purchase or trade, the fellow who owns it doesn't have a phone and only a PO box so negotiations are PAINFULLY slow. I am going to go ahead and give him his asking price of $1,500 even though I am told by one responder to my query that $1,500 was probably a little high. He says that the value of a trailer is based more on how popular and useable it is than how rare it is.

I'm a neophyte to trailering as I have only owned my current trailer for less than a year. Its an 86 casita I restored from removing the completely stripped and gutted cabin off the frame to a complete renovation, wiring, plumbing woodwork et al . Well , I did grow up in the 50s and 60s traveling with my folks in their Airstream. This may be fool hardy thing, buying this old guy, but it really caught my fancy. I'm always looking for advice though if you would like to pitch in your 2˘.
lanny

Old 01-18-2003, 06:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Lanny,

It sounds like you have the ablitity to completely restore this trailer and like anything else in life, it's your personal feeling/taste that matters. So if you want to tackle this job and to own a one-of-a-kind Airstream, I'd say go for it. Life's short, so you might as well enjoy eh!!

Just think of all of the looks & questions you'll be asked as you travel with it. Also, I think you'd have a ball bringing it to Vintage A/S rally's and other Tincan tourist rally's!

Good Luck-John

p.s. FYI-with your ablitiy to restore trailers, you could pick-up an older A/S for less money than $1500. A number of members have recently bought A/S ranging from $450 to $700.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:11 AM   #18
Lanny

1954 15' Byam Holiday
1955 15' Byam Holiday
Athens , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to lwebb Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb
Thanks

Thanks John,

If I can ever close the deal, I'll put some interior shots up. And yeah, I love fixing things, building etc., seems I'm happiest when I'm in the shop. When I was younger, I restored three old houses all from the early 1900s. I was just a college prof then and as such, un employed in the summer. Now that I'm more in administration, my job, my back, nor my wife would allow me to start a project that size again. Trailers are perfect.
Lanny