Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Voltage Regulator

I have a 1981 Excella MH with a Isuzu diesel (non turbo). When I am at a normal speed on the road the voltage is in the 16 volt/red range on the voltage indicator. I'm assuming I should replace the voltage regulator. I also believe that the voltage regulator in this unit is an Isuzu part as per the manual. Any suggestions ?
Rayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Before you go replacing the voltage regulator I would chek the battery isolator and the batteries. If you have a shorted cell it could cause the alternator to push more. The batteries will only allow the alternator to push in as much as they can take. A bad isolator can cause the same type of readings and boil the batteries.

If the batteries are fine, then you may have a bad regulator or alternator. The alternator is not the normal one you buy at Autozone, so be sure to get an exact replacement, or have this one rebuilt.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If it is a Nippendenso I would do everything I could to replace it, even if it means making new brackets. Their alternators and starters are nothing but headaches.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote