Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2003, 05:23 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Actually, this whole deed restriction, covenant thing amuses me. I live in a township in Ohio. Not restrictions. My neighbors have a $1.2 million house on 50 acres about 5 houses down. They are both attorneys. Guess what? They have a Big Mutha Newmar Dutch Star in the driveway, along with several horse trailers. Hillbillies? Far from it. To the North, we have two upscale developments, where the poor unfortunates live in $350K houses next to the "Sky's the Limit" folks. Many boats, motorhomes, etc. can be found in peoples driveways, year round. I just do not understand the need for all these rules and regulations. Maybe I am fortunate to live in an area where folks have a lot of common sense, and good taste.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:47 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

I WOULD TOTALLY IGNORE THE FOOLS WHO WANT TO RUN ELSE'S BUSINESS AND PARK IT WHERE I WANTED TO ON MY PROPERTY AS LONG AS YOU DON'T VIIOLATE ANY ORDINANCES.

I LIVE ON A CORNER LOT AND I KEEP MY 32' EXCELLA IN THE BACK YARD, BUT IT IS FULLY VISIBLE FROM BOTH STREETS.

IF MY NEIGHBORS DON'T LIKE IT THAT'S JUST TOUGH. MY TRAILER IS ALWAYS KEPT CLEAN AND IS NOT AN EYESORE AND WE USE IT AT LEAST ONCE EVERY MONTH AND THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD PUT IN A STORAGE FACILITY>

I HAVE RIGHTS ALSO!

SO DO YOU!

STAND UP AND TELL THEM TO SHUT UP!
ke4pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:04 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just one word of caution (amongst the humor). If you ratchett up the conflict level with these folks, you can be guaranteed they will bring in government. Once you get government involved you may end up with an ordinance that gives you no rights......so my advice stands, know your options, be prepared, do your documentation and keep a low profile when dealing with these crazy folks. Any satisfaction you get getting even may blow up in your face.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:15 AM   #24
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jack,
I completely agree. I usually take a "be prepared but act only when necessary" approach for most things. I'm getting my ducks in a row already. I'm wondering how they can do anything but complain at this point since I don't store it at the house and its in my driveway and the city ordinance says I could park it in front of their house for 72 hours if I wanted to.

I think they just want to complain but can't act on anything as it’s my registered and insured vehicle in my driveway on a very occasional basis. They just don't like the view. I'm not out to change their minds about RVs or Airstreams, just to exercise my rights as a property owner. I can do that best by staying quiet and avoiding escalation (and to park my RV in my driveway whenever I want).

The RV storage issue has come up to the city government in a neighboring town so I’m not sure if that will effect what goes on in our city. We’ll see.

Since many AS owners have faced this issue (or may face it in the future) I'll keep everyone posted through this thread.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:36 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Flip side

Since some areas have "restrictions" [be they reasomable or not]...... maybe it's time to suggest before City Council/Zoning/Board of Review/Mayors Court that It might be a good idea for them to find an area in the municipality that RV's can be parked and charge a reasonable fee-that fee paying for the electric of that facility which might also be a maintenance facility, police impound or fire department property with reasonable access.....If you give them a solution along with the problem they won't have to "think" on their own therefore taking the pressure off the elected officials.....kinda a positive spin and not making it necessary for those in power to say "NO" all the time....FWIW.....geof-near Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:47 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

just let me know when to show up with my banjo and hound dog.
Swingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Macon , Georgia
The Houndog is fine but the banjo is cruel by ANY standards!

josephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:20 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Wait for "the Letter"

Unfortunatley this reminds me of another post:

Click Here

GOOD LUCK!!

Dave
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 11:29 PM   #29

1984 32.5' Airstream 325
Anderson , Alabama
This is my first post, so excuse a newby while I introduce myself.

I suppose that we qualify as hillbillies.

I left Southern California in 1967 because there were too many people and too many rules.

We have lived in the hilly, Northwest Alabama woods since 1978. We bought a small place just off of a country road, over the hill and back off the road about a quarter mile.

I make a living while working out of our AS MH.

Our neighbors do not complain about our 1979, 28' Excella, because the only time they see it, it is running down the highway.

It is used as a mobile office, and has logged 60K+ miles in the last three (3) years. My experience is that these things are not cheap to operate if you run them a lot, but it sure beats living in motels and eating in quick food places.

Two (2) years ago we replaced the refrigerator, tires, wheel covers, and had the steering system overhauled.

Last year we went through the suspension system, cooling system(s), cruise control, and air conditioner.

This year, I overhauled the 454, and the transmission, and replaced the rear end with a late model, P-30, rear end. The gear ratios were different, and I've mounted a GPS on the dash for a speedometer. By monitoring the tachometer, vacuum gauge and GPS, I can get about 8.5 to 9.0 gallons per mile at 60 mph.

Next year it will be new tires again.

Once, my spouse mentioned that with the money that I have spent on the AS, MH I could have bought a new RV. My response was; Yeah, you're right, but I would not have what I wanted.

Happy in the hills
Rhunter013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 05:17 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

I live in a development with restrictive covenants and we have to keep our toys out of sight behind our houses.
also,
There is no field of human endeavor that does not have critics.

Ignore the neighbors.

Be sure you are legally correct.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 06:50 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Show them this, it could be worse! Lol

Here is a picture of the driveway at my store, in a small mountain community in NC.
Only comments I ever get from neighbors is "Wow You got another one COOL!" great place to live. also there were two more around back when this picture was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mvc-010s.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	4194  
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 08:10 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Now there's a tourist attraction for Airstream lovers.
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:25 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

After I got my rig I parked it in front of the house until I found a storage lot, really got no complaints from the neighbors but the neighborhood assoc. instead and reminded them that one block away the guy with the Bounder M/H and his tow vehicle parks in front of his house for 3 weeks at a time and I was being singled out. Next time we talk I said will come from my attorney as I took photo's and if it's o.k. for them to park there it's o.k. for me and I only parked for a few days.... I invited the neighbors into the M/H when I was parked out front one night and we sat there for 3 hours and drank beer and listened to music and they can't wait till we do it again !
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:15 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I'd just politely tell the neighbors to be sure they let you know before showing their home to prospective buyers and you'll remove it for the day. That way it won't devalue their property.

John
Old 12-18-2003, 07:02 AM   #35
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Update

Since this post is still pretty active I wanted to post a quick update. About two weeks ago I contacted our city official about our RV. I was asking about the city ordinances to make sure I was in compliance. Again, I"m not storing the Airstream at my house only parking it for a one or more days at a time.

To my surprise he offered to come over the house and meet with us. He had be receiving complaints about it and wanted to hear our side of the story.

To make a long story short...we had a great meeting. Basically he heard us out, let us know that there is no city ordinace which would prohibit us from parking our RV in our driveway (as long as it does not block the sidewalk) for as long as we wanted. He also appreciated that we took the steps to no longer store it on our property which has reduced complaints to his office.

He let us know that he now has our background and can better respond to complaints. For once it seemed like city hall helped us.

I'm sure our neighbors will try and create an ordinance but based on his feedback I don't expect to see one soon.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:01 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to John Brimer
Well, do your neighbors a favor and park your unit(s) at your house on Jan 1. Invite your neighbors to take plenty of pictures. Tell them to feel free to use the pictures to reduce their property taxes. HA HA HA HA

You have now made friends!
John Brimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:45 AM   #37
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
City Hall Comes to You

I think I stated this in my earlier post...The City Inspector came out (twice!...2 different Inspectors)...and both of them were like yours, very cordial and seeing that obviously the Coach is not lived in; and asked for an invite to the "Christening" party. They also said the same to me, that as long as I wasn't blocking the 'sidewalk' (there isn't any...but that area), and didn't have water hooked up...it didn't matter EVEN THAT I HAVE IT LOOKING 'LIVED IN". Remember the photo of the Pink Flamingos? Maybe not. Well, I have this wooden step (covered with carpet), and planters with the flamingoes etc. around the entry --- & when one of the Inspectors asked my son about this. his answer was it's only a "visual" form of the end result---and the Inspector smiled and said, "I can't certainly understand that." ..

Nice to have 'government' so congenial.
I certainly do agree, however, that the ordinances should be known well by anyone 'stretching' things with crotchedy neighbors. Why stir the sleeping giant?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bear\'sdoorartaugust2k3.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	4240  
Old 12-22-2003, 06:07 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Steven -- Host a Ralley!

Quote:
I'm sure our neighbors will try and create an ordinance but based on his feedback I don't expect to see one soon.

From Fun Lovin

Quote:
Ok everyone rally at swebster's bring lots of generators and annoying hillbilly stuff. Does anyone know how to play the shine jug? I bet we could clog up the street so bad your neighbor wont be able to get to their drive and have to walk home.
May I suggest a reverse motivation scenario for your good neighbors with no fences.....?

In support of Porky Pig's and Fun Lovin's idea, call for a "Dry Rally" to be held on your street during a popular holiday weekend.

Even if you only have three or four other motor homes show up, it will make your friendly neighbors appreciate how less congested the street was with only ONE motor home in residence.

Keep us posted on your proposed dates.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:14 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
My problem was a little differnt. My neighbor never realy liked my first 26' MH and always make a comment about how and ugly old the 1978 model was. That went on for about 4 years. Last November I told them I may be selling it (I know they were pleased) but what they didn't know I was getting my new one my 33 1/2 foot LY you should of seen there faces when I pull that monster in to my driveway . So my advice buy a bigger one!!!! Good luck Jim
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 08:11 AM   #40
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Rally at my house!

Dennie,
Man that would be fun! Get about three or four classic MH's on the street for excactly 72 hours. Everyone could run their gensets all night long. Setup a volleyball net in the front yard!

BBQ, a horse shoe tournament, the works!

Jim,
I think I could go buy a 45 foot Prevost Conversion for a million bucks and it would still be a Hill Billy machine as far as they are concerned. Some people just have a negative image of RV's.