Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2003, 08:35 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Cat, cool treatment on the outside door. How was it done? I was thinking of doing ehhhhhh............don't think the wife would go for a Pabst label. Neither would WBCCI.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 07:58 PM   #42
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Interior Door Pallet

Brushes and paint...and lots of time to be fussy. I decided on something bright and bold so it would show a little THROUGH the screendoor when I'm inside and the door is closed. Something else might have been unsightly with all the aluminum crossbars and handle area, etc.

It's not finished,,,I didn't like the Tucan Bird...so I'm redoing that...

I can appreciate the scrutiny you might receive over a painting of your favourite beer... but that's the beauty of being single...
it's just me...

and BEAR neve complains....so
anything I do.........is "OK"..
Old 08-21-2004, 12:29 PM   #43
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Guess who is moving out today! (Hint: it's not us )

Hope the new neighbors are AS lovers...since she's back in the driveway and I'm working on plans to keep her in the back yard.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 12:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Guess who is moving out today!............
I still think you ought to line the street (both sides) with AS's of all types as long as there is a "for sale" sign out.

IMHO.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 01:08 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Glad to see your problem move away. That's always best. Maybe your new neighbors will see the AS there right away and not mind it at all.

In any case it might be a good idea to go over and introduce yourself, both you and your wife and bring a housewarming gift. If you see the guy out there doing something go over and offer a helping hand.

That may just turn into a good friendship and someone who may be around to help you out on those repair weekends spent on the AS.

Maybe with a little luck you can even get them interested in Airstreaming.....

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 01:15 PM   #46
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Are you kidding! I'm ready to loan out my tools and Suzanne is baking a cake for them when they arrive! Actually I think this has more to do with the new park opening up soon than our AS. Most of the "grumpy" neighbors have been complaining about having a park behind our houses....we on the other hand, like a lot of people woth young families, are thrilled about it.

I noticed two more campers in the neighorhood recently. Both pop-ups and both stored in the driveway. Be careful...people that enjoy family oriented travels across the United States are likely to take over the joint.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:05 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Have them over to dinner, serve it in the AS. That ought to endear it to them.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #48

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good for you! I wish our neighbors would move! They just called the fire department out to complain that our unmowed field was a fire hazard. The firemen disagreed.

What kind of freaks DON'T want a park in their backyard?!? Like I said, people like that leaving can only be good news. Here's hoping the new neighbors are more your kind of people!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Back in our home area in Ohio, a group of 5 home owners in a cul-de-sac development thwarted the expansion of a cheese factory, that had been there decades before the development. A year later 4 of the 5 moved away, and the cheese factory moved to another location in the county, bestowing hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax revenue to another school district. Years later, the school district where the old cheese factory was, is struggling with budget woes.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 08:36 AM   #50
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Hoping the new neighbors will be more accepting of the AS. Turns out they are in their mid-thirties and he is a UPS pilot. So hopefully riveted aluminum is in his blood.

Steph...with ya on the park. We see the addition of this park as a huge improvement to our neighborhood (and our real estate values). Our property backs up to it so we'll be able to walk out our back gate into the park. This park has allowed us to begin planning the converison of our backyard from a kid paradise to a "grown up" back yard free of playshool plastic. We are also planning to extend our driveway about 40 feet to allow parking for the 345. We're planning around the AS and feel if done properly it can be a feature of the space.

Visions of cocktail parties where guests flow easily from the [to be built] deck to under the awning of the AS....lights, flamingoes, MP3 tunage playing...the whole nine yards. "It's not an eyesore....it's a landscaping feature".

Anyhow, I just heard my neighbor across the street is getting re-married and moving away, so within the next month we'll have four new neighbors moving in. They will have all bought their homes while our AS was in the driveway so we're hoping they are all pretty cool about it. Planning some serious PR just the same.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

Totally with you on the Positive PR!!

I believe the PR is one of the *MOST important* parts of keeping the legal woes at bay!

I built a metal pole barn to cover the A/S in my backyard a year ago. I timed it as the next door neighbor had sold his house and before the new owners moved in. During the process I saw that it stood out more than I thought, and I painted it dark green to blend in more and hung plants on their side of view.

We were greeters for the new family and talked to them often and brought food.

When he asked what I thought about a large pompass grass plant that was on my property a few feet from his side, I saw he'd like it better if it was gone. Soon I had two strong young men dig it up and I planted new grass.

Good relationships I think usually thwart possible legal ramblings as has been noted by a number of previous posters.

Keep up the good work! and best of luck on the "landscaping feature".

Steve in Sav'h
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #52
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Guess who is moving out today! (Hint: it's not us ).
Steven, congratulations on outlasting the dweebs.

Terry
Old 11-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #53
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Neighbor update! Complaining neighbor number two just put her house up for sale. She was a quieter complainer but still...moving out because of the new park. So I'll need to prep the new neighbors. We are hoping they will be as cool as our other two new neighbors who both think our Airstream is very cool.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:54 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Puyallup , Washington
There's one in every neighborhood!

This sounds like deja vu to me! We had to move our (nice condition) Overlander to a gravel parking strip on our property that's parallel to the road while we were having some trees removed. Our neighborhood busy-body not only took photos of our Airstream, but kindly mailed them to us with a letter complaining that our "metal mass was obstructing strategic views of each others' homes" (to prevent burgulars!). I replied in a letter thanking her for the warm welcome to our new neighborhood, and informed her that no CC&Rs were on file with the title of our home, but we'd be happy to comply with the conditions in the ones she offered to show us. (Probably the original ones, but no longer in effect). I told her that I looked forward to meeting her in person to discuss this. Well, almost 4 years later, and I still haven't spoken a word to her. She always looks the other way! That's probably how she noticed the smoke coming from our neighbor's chimney, and proceeded to take photos and send them a letter warning of the potential of a chimney fire...
somefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:41 AM   #55
Airgirl

1965 22' Safari
St. Louis , Missouri
Thanks posters for making me feel better. I just bought an Airstream in June and a loft in August. In September I decided to bring it home to work on and funny enough someone in realstate suggested I just bring it over. Well anyway when I came home for Thanksgiving vacation I got notice from the city to move it. Yippie to nosy anonymous caller neighbors. Briefly it fits perfectly in the parking space and lot, one unit sold and two more almost sold in the building while my Airstream was parked in the lot and the lot is off a small oneway street with only two houses across the street so of course I didn't see the problem. I called zoning yesterday the laws seemed very vague and frankly the building inspector who I called earlier was nicer than zoning. Well reading the posts made me feel better and gave me some ideas. I decided to put it back in storage for now to play nice and since I wont resume rehabbing until Spring. But I am not giving up on my little piece of artwork. Airstreams deserves more than being hidden away in storage for occassional use, occassional use was never my plan.

Look forward to hearing how storing issues are going with others and hopefully good news will follow.
airgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 01:00 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Best of luck Air Girl

Hey AirGirl, Good luck on resloving this...What sort of AS and (embelishments?)do you have?...Is it blocking views? Is it in an artsy neighborhood (You mention loft.)

I would much rather see a smallish AS parked in my neighbor's driveway or sideyard than the Goliaths(boats, tackytrailers, mortorcycles) that some of them have parked there and on the street in this middle class non artsy hood...

I've moved out of my house and am renting it out while I live in the peaceful countryside in my Argosy...and may consider putting it in the sideyard if and when I move back...so I'm keeping an eye on this thread for inspiration.
Trailerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:32 PM   #57
Airgirl

1965 22' Safari
St. Louis , Missouri
Smile

Hello,

It is not a very artsy neighborhood most people have lived in the neighborhood and are happy the way it is. It is kinda a pioneering situation and as far as know everyone who lives in my building (We all live in an old school house) including the devoloper and visitors think the Airstream is "Cool as hell.". I think we have a nosy neigbor problem. Frankly people should be happy we are there the devolpment of the closed school is a very positive thing, I hope they are, we care about the neighborhood. It is tucked away so nicely in the lot. Like I said it fits in the parking space just like a big SUV. Also it is a quiet street not surrounded by a lot of houses directly.

Nothing out of the ordinary on the outside goal is to start polising 2005 and then it will look even better. It is a '65 Safari 22 ft. I flip flop but I guess I will put back in storage for now since I met my rehab goals for the fall and will start again in the spring.

I am nervous but lots of positive info like this posting so hopefully. Hopefully people will post the zoning laws so we all can compare.
airgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Hi guys. I hadn't posted for awhile because due to my neighbors reminding me that my MH had been parked on the street for three days (no room on my driveway or property), I'VE BEEN MOVING! Now I live in a nicer neighborhood, larger home and the culdesac has three huge MH's as well. Mine is the baby but i think it's prettier than the others. There's something about driving up to my house now and seeing this beautiful shiny aircraft on wheels sitting in my driveway waiting for me to take it to the store. I feel for those of you who have to store elsewhere, as I had done before. I'm glad I moved.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:57 PM   #59
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
A neighborhood with three other motorhomes? - can I move there too?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:32 PM   #60
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs up You have to have one...

Quote:
A neighborhood with three other motorhomes? - can I move there too?
To live in the neighborhood I went through a few weeks ago. The houses all have oversize garages so the MH's can be parked indoors, not because zoning requires it, but to keep them out of the weather. Unfortunately for us, though trailers are allowed, you must own a MH to live there. Home prices start at $450,000 for a 1BR, with a den.
Just thought I would let you know there are actually places where we are welcome with our toys.
Terry