Old 11-23-2003, 08:23 PM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Re: What a great group!

Quote:
Originally posted by swebster@myrvadvanta
I appreciate all of the advice and the commentary. So tomorrow I'll check the ordinances once more, call one of our attorney friends, buy a junker and park it in front of their house, put a "For Rent - Section 8 Welcome" sign in the front yard, call the local TV station about Millionaire Aistreamers, take pictures of their shrubs and begin looking for code violations on their new addition.
Steve... one more thought... go out and buy a copy of "Duelling Banjos"... play it on your boom box on your front porch at 'urban renewal' volume, wear your 'hillbilly' straw hat and yell "we're gonna make 'em squeal like a pig" and grin maniacally at them whenever your neighbors start to come over...

Roger

Old 11-23-2003, 08:59 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Roger,

That's pretty funny idea and here I thought contracting a beating for them would have been more fun....

What would you do if you got a call and went out there and found something like that?

Eric

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 09:55 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Porky im with you. Ok everyone rally at swebster's bring lots of generators and annoying hillbilly stuff. Does anyone know how to play the shine jug? I bet we could clog up the street so bad your neighbor wont be able to get to their drive and have to walk home.
Oh what a little imp am I.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 09:56 PM   #18
Finally Retired

, Washington
I think with a Airstream that we all keep in good shape there should be no problem it's the junk cars , garbage etc that are eye sores.
When we go over the I -90 at Snoqualmie Pass we "should " be in the slow lanes that are so crappy and we shake rattle and hopefully don't roll. I say go in the faster lanes and if we are ticketed take it to court and challenge it why should a beat up $400. car have THE RIGHT A WAY OVER the pristine Bullet. I know if my wife getS TO TALK we win.
Good luck we could all show up in a act of solidarity. AKA convoy.
Dave and Louise
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:24 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Macon , Georgia
I am not an attorney, but I was on the architectural control committee for a nice neighborhood I lived in a few years ago.

I was one of four guys. We called ourselves the road NAZIs and walked around the (small) neighborhood taking notes on a pad every 3 or 4 months. Now, I 'm the first one to upset neighbors with my bad taste and 2 week yard sales etc. But, I was amazed at how a little creativity, mixed with a little bad taste and a little too much time, can give birth to the ugliest, tackiest crap! We would get a good laugh out of it.

BUTT!

The bottom line was that we had the printed covenants which contained the restrictions. We would laugh, read the rules and annotate whether it was in violation or not. If it was not, then so be it. If it was, then we had the right to pursue legal recourse (if normal requests failed) to have the situation brought into compliance. And I had no sympathy with violators really because we all agreed to the rules when we contracted for the house and property. Of our own free will. The few renters were a real challenge...

BUTT!

A problem arises when the covenants are unclear or written by someone who uses incorrect English when it REALLY matters. In that case everyone is scratching their heads (especially the Hillbillies) (lice joke) and trying to divine the real intent. That's where the wiggle room might come in.

Also, if we found a violation but realized that we had let a similar one go uncorrected for years or months, then we felt like we could not expect to enforce it all of a sudden. Although I make it sound like we were meanies, we never did take anything to court. We negotiated our way through most of the problems and reached compromises of some sort. We were advised by a resident attorney that if a covenant was not enforced in the past, it would be hard to enforce now. So, a lazy governing neighborhood body that doesn't aggressively enforce, can erode the effectiveness of the rules. Practically, if not legally.
So, read the rules. Look around the hood for other examples - of any proportion - that are similar to yours.

Butt!

The biggest way to lessen the problem is to communicate with the neighbors and governing body. In our case, if we knew the neighbors were working on a corrective or compromise plan, it made us happy. Otherwise we thought they were spiting us and we would get really mad.

Talk your way through it if you can.

The only other solution would be to trade up to a smaller unit like a '79 24 footer - but they are so RARE AND EXPENSIVE now that that would be impracticable. :-)

Hope you get it worked out.

Joe
josephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:35 AM   #20
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
My Neck Of The Woods

This is all just TOO funny.
I can believe it....
I live in a VERY upscale area...where my son leases a very nice and very large house with a HUGE drive way. He leased it 7 years ago, and I rent the upper floor from him, and exactly 5 years ago, I bought "Bear" (my 1981 Excella 500) and had it backed in along one side of the driveway, where I have been working on it to remodel it.
About 3 years ago, a neighbor complained to the City that someone was living in it. And again last Spring,,,same complaint. Each time, the City Inspector came out, saw that the electrical cord WAS hooked up, but the water was not...and after a tour of the interior, they were convinced it was not livable. The length of time has been due to my neck disability, and each time, they asked if they could come to the "Christening" party...which my son is hosting the day it's done.
CC&Rs will tell you if you have to go by those rules. Otherwise, as someone said, it's City regulations.
Other than these 2 phone calls (complaints) no one else has...and BRING ' EM ON.
One next-door neighbor just bought and moved a "Taco Truck---Gut-Wagon----Tomaine Palace" lunch truck onto their driveway---& come to think of it, it hasn't been there lately.

But, seriously, folks,,,I thought unless you were in "a CC&R neighborhood", the only thing that would be in violation of City ordinances, would be that someone was "living" in it (& no water hookup, no dumping of EVEN "grey water" onto the ground.) Once you proved no one was 'keeping house' in it, you'd have every right to 'store' it there, for non-use, or remodeling. I hope I'm right...

I always think people like those "shutter-bugs" need to have someone stir their soup a little. I particularly liked the idea of the Section 8 warning. GOOD ONE. I'll remember that one.

By the way does anyone know if there's a thread on RV Insurance?
Old 11-24-2003, 05:23 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Actually, this whole deed restriction, covenant thing amuses me. I live in a township in Ohio. Not restrictions. My neighbors have a $1.2 million house on 50 acres about 5 houses down. They are both attorneys. Guess what? They have a Big Mutha Newmar Dutch Star in the driveway, along with several horse trailers. Hillbillies? Far from it. To the North, we have two upscale developments, where the poor unfortunates live in $350K houses next to the "Sky's the Limit" folks. Many boats, motorhomes, etc. can be found in peoples driveways, year round. I just do not understand the need for all these rules and regulations. Maybe I am fortunate to live in an area where folks have a lot of common sense, and good taste.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:47 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

I WOULD TOTALLY IGNORE THE FOOLS WHO WANT TO RUN ELSE'S BUSINESS AND PARK IT WHERE I WANTED TO ON MY PROPERTY AS LONG AS YOU DON'T VIIOLATE ANY ORDINANCES.

I LIVE ON A CORNER LOT AND I KEEP MY 32' EXCELLA IN THE BACK YARD, BUT IT IS FULLY VISIBLE FROM BOTH STREETS.

IF MY NEIGHBORS DON'T LIKE IT THAT'S JUST TOUGH. MY TRAILER IS ALWAYS KEPT CLEAN AND IS NOT AN EYESORE AND WE USE IT AT LEAST ONCE EVERY MONTH AND THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD PUT IN A STORAGE FACILITY>

I HAVE RIGHTS ALSO!

SO DO YOU!

STAND UP AND TELL THEM TO SHUT UP!
ke4pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:04 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just one word of caution (amongst the humor). If you ratchett up the conflict level with these folks, you can be guaranteed they will bring in government. Once you get government involved you may end up with an ordinance that gives you no rights......so my advice stands, know your options, be prepared, do your documentation and keep a low profile when dealing with these crazy folks. Any satisfaction you get getting even may blow up in your face.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:15 AM   #24
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jack,
I completely agree. I usually take a "be prepared but act only when necessary" approach for most things. I'm getting my ducks in a row already. I'm wondering how they can do anything but complain at this point since I don't store it at the house and its in my driveway and the city ordinance says I could park it in front of their house for 72 hours if I wanted to.

I think they just want to complain but can't act on anything as its my registered and insured vehicle in my driveway on a very occasional basis. They just don't like the view. I'm not out to change their minds about RVs or Airstreams, just to exercise my rights as a property owner. I can do that best by staying quiet and avoiding escalation (and to park my RV in my driveway whenever I want).

The RV storage issue has come up to the city government in a neighboring town so Im not sure if that will effect what goes on in our city. Well see.

Since many AS owners have faced this issue (or may face it in the future) I'll keep everyone posted through this thread.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:36 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Flip side

Since some areas have "restrictions" [be they reasomable or not]...... maybe it's time to suggest before City Council/Zoning/Board of Review/Mayors Court that It might be a good idea for them to find an area in the municipality that RV's can be parked and charge a reasonable fee-that fee paying for the electric of that facility which might also be a maintenance facility, police impound or fire department property with reasonable access.....If you give them a solution along with the problem they won't have to "think" on their own therefore taking the pressure off the elected officials.....kinda a positive spin and not making it necessary for those in power to say "NO" all the time....FWIW.....geof-near Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:47 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

just let me know when to show up with my banjo and hound dog.
Swingking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 05:52 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Macon , Georgia
The Houndog is fine but the banjo is cruel by ANY standards!

josephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:20 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Wait for "the Letter"

Unfortunatley this reminds me of another post:

Click Here

GOOD LUCK!!

Dave

airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote