Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Hartford , Wisconsin
Undecided Airsteam Classic vs International 28

Hello,
Need help.... New to this forum. My wife and I presently own a 40 Motorhome which we enjoy spending extended stays in Florida during the cold northern months. We live in Wisconsin and have taken our motorhome south late Oct and returned mid April. Living in the 40' is wonderful in Florida but find that we miss that quick get away back home. This has led us to considering selling the 40' and downsizing. I have always said that if I were to downsize, an Airsteam was the only unit I would consider. This leads me to the question. I love the idea of a 30' Classic, but am considering a 28' International because of the mobility in tighter areas. Can anyone tell me, Is there a considerable between the mobility of a 30' Airstream vs a 28' Unit. As I said, downsizing from a 40' motorhome to a Airstream, is substitial. We would not be using the Airstream for extended Florida Stays. Thank you for any suggestions regarding this.
Thanks
Joe
lacotasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida

I had both a 27' and 30' Flying Cloud, both 2016 models. I'd say there is no discernible difference between them as far as towing, backing up, or fitting into "tight" spaces goes.

Sure, my 27' was "3 feet" shorter, but it ends up being about the same experience.

I'd get the one with the features, equipment and layout you want.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We traded a 2013 25FB International Serenity in on a 2014 31' Classic and never looked back. We had considered the 2014 27FB Classic, but it had the exact same dimensions and layout in the dinette area we disliked in the 25FB.

We acquired a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins to tow the 25FB and it it more than adequate to tow the 31' Classic. The Classic scales about 9,200 pounds camping ready with about 1,200 pounds of tongue weight. The total rig usually scales around 19,200 bounds going down the road.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:10 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The 30 ft Classic is a beauty. Also look at the Land Yacht, it's a 28 but a different layout and the interior is somewhat more in the flavor of the International. You will either love it or hate it.

Down sizing is challenging for many. Best to spend some time at a well stocked dealer. Sit in several and plan on how you would use a specific coach. You may find a smaller coach to your liking and the Flying Cloud overhead doors are a feature you may find preferable to use.

Again, that Classic is quite nice and may be hard to ignore in the final analysis.

Good luck in your search. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
We have recently traded ups from a 27 to a 30' Classic. There is little or no difference in towing, there is however a huge difference in interior space. The 30 is much better. More living area and much more storage.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Length of the trailer has less to do with maneuverability than length of the tow vehicle wheelbase and it's turning diameter. Small trailers will fit in smaller spaces of course, but a couple of feet length difference is negligible.

Long term living interior space and comfort does matter, and the configuration and type of furniture makes all the difference. As switz mentioned above, the seating of many Airstreams is not comfortable to use. Instead of changing Airstreams, we changed the seating and have been quite comfortable in our sixth winter season in the Southwest U.S. with this Airstream.

That will change somewhat as well. We have enjoyed our friends, community life, and the winter lifestyle of the large RV resorts a great deal so recently purchased an inexpensive park model home. Now we can enjoy this life and still have our medium-sized Airstream and tow vehicle to explore the country (sometimes coast-to-coast) on our way to and from our winter destination. Some of the best of both worlds for our retirement years.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Very little difference towing. Bigger difference living inside.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I went from a 27' Safari to a 30' Classic. The only difference for me was to learn the difference in the pivot points when backing. For me that difference came to bear when backing into my driveway which is on a cul-du-sac. That meant I had to pull a few feet further away from my driveway prior to backing in. In your case virtually it will make little if any meaningful difference to you.

Now for me, let's say I would be interested in a new 33' Classic. The real difference for me is that I would not be able to park it in my driveway to load and unload since the trailer would exceed my driveway length by 3 feet, thus causing it to hang out into the street.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Classic finishings and furnishings are significantly different than any other AS model. As owner of a 16 Classic (and a 14 for sale!) the Classic is the only model we considered. The luxury and elegance set them apart. Good luck!
Johndews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
STOP

Go look at the new 33, it is amazing with rear bath heated floor in the shower. I have a 30 Classic which is 31 feet.

Check out the 33

Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
National City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
STOP

Go look at the new 33, it is amazing with rear bath heated floor in the shower. I have a 30 Classic which is 31 feet.

Check out the 33

Earl
2017 30' Classic has heated floor in shower.
NordSailOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacotasue View Post
We would not be using the Airstream for extended Florida Stays.
I was 100% with you until this? Why not? No more Florida stays? Buying something here?
I too am downsizing from a 40' to an Airstream, and I'm looking forward to using it more for short trips too.
The decision as to length was more based on, "Why does the shower have a big hump where I'd stand, would I use that dinette, can I change sheets on the bed without gymnastics?"
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndews View Post
Classic finishings and furnishings are significantly different than any other AS model. As owner of a 16 Classic (and a 14 for sale!) the Classic is the only model we considered. The luxury and elegance set them apart. Good luck!

This.

If we had to do it over again, we'd have bought a 30' Classic and never looked back.

It really really works for extended travel.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
I had both a 27' and 30' Flying Cloud, both 2016 models. I'd say there is no discernible difference between them as far as towing, backing up, or fitting into "tight" spaces goes.

Sure, my 27' was "3 feet" shorter, but it ends up being about the same experience.

I'd get the one with the features, equipment and layout you want.
I have the same FC, same year, and for the two of us, it's perfect.
Easy to tow, easy to use, comfortable for us; no complaints other than the fact that the bathroom sink empties into the black tank.
Some small workmanship issues, but that's no unusual for an RV.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post

...other than the fact that the bathroom sink empties into the black tank.
No kidding? Had no idea.

Yeah, I really like our FC 30', just a couple complaints:

We solved the bed problem with a Short Queen "Denver Mattress" unit, $500 on sale from Lazydays. Love it.

The L-shaped sofa is very uncomfortable, for us. We are about ready to remove it and order a small love seat electric recliner combo from a company called Best Furniture out of Indiana.

Otherwise, yup, we really like it.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Renton , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacotasue View Post
Hello,
Need help.... New to this forum. My wife and I presently own a 40 Motorhome which we enjoy spending extended stays in Florida during the cold northern months. We live in Wisconsin and have taken our motorhome south late Oct and returned mid April. Living in the 40' is wonderful in Florida but find that we miss that quick get away back home. This has led us to considering selling the 40' and downsizing. I have always said that if I were to downsize, an Airsteam was the only unit I would consider. This leads me to the question. I love the idea of a 30' Classic, but am considering a 28' International because of the mobility in tighter areas. Can anyone tell me, Is there a considerable between the mobility of a 30' Airstream vs a 28' Unit. As I said, downsizing from a 40' motorhome to a Airstream, is substitial. We would not be using the Airstream for extended Florida Stays. Thank you for any suggestions regarding this.
Thanks
Joe
We just up our 2017 Classic yesterday and will be taking it on our first outing soon. After researching several of the models, we decided on the Classic because of all of the standard features it has over everything else. The standard Wireless Back-view camera is worth it. In terms of the size difference, negligible. Also, I recommend the ProPride 3P hitch for your trailer.
Dashwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Congrats on your new Airstream. Hope you can make it to Michigan for the Rally in July!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Hartford , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naper View Post
We have recently traded ups from a 27 to a 30' Classic. There is little or no difference in towing, there is however a huge difference in interior space. The 30 is much better. More living area and much more storage.
Thanks for your response to my question. Could you tell me what type of towing
Vehicle you are using with the 30' airstream? Should I decide on a 30' Classic, I wast to be sure I have enough vehicle to negoiate hills. Thanks
lacotasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Renton , Washington
Tow Vehicle

To tow our new Classic we have 2012 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Diesel SW. Tows the 10,000 lbs. like there's nothing back there. The ProPride 3P hitch eliminates the always present, or would be, sway. We have been staying in our Classic for going on 2 weeks and it has been wonderful. Also, just invested in a necessary 50 Amp Surge Suppressor. Was advised to do this my neighbors in the RV Park.
Dashwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We tow our scales weight of 9,200 pound 31' 2014 Classic with a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins as the total rig scales 19,200 pounds. No issues going up or down mountain and can maintain 65 up and much lower coming down just using the the engine exhaust brake.

YMMV

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote