Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Crossing into Mexico
It\'s safe? 1 100.00%
would not recomend taking coach across the border 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2002, 02:04 AM   #1
Krazykraut

Travel to Rosarito Mexico

Any of you poeple out there, ventured across the border to Rosarito? What can I expect at the border crossing? Is it save? What about RV docking?
Old 10-18-2002, 06:20 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
'would you' is a better question. My answer is no. There are way too many places to explore in this great country, to even consider the risks, safety and legal issues taking my rig across the border.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 07:15 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Border crossing

A few years ago (pre-A/S), I took the Copper Canyon tour with Tracks To Adventure out of El Paso. It was a blast and I want to do it again. I see no problems going with an established tour outfit. We stayed at some very nice full-hookup RV parks when not on the train.

We were advised to lock everything, spare tires especially. We also took off all small removeable items such as valve caps. The little kids like to snatch them. Several unlocked spare tires from our group disappeared one night in Creel, otherwise, there were no incidents. Pilfering is much more likely than any thing more serious.

Beyond that, I see no real problems staying in the border area except that your present insurance is no good once past the border.

To get past the border area, you need the title to the trailer and tow vehicle and a credit card with the bank address printed on it (not all have). The inspectors were very polite and everything went very smoothly. You get a sticker there and some paperwork that has to be surrendered upon leaving the interior.
BTW. I don't believe this last applies to the Baja pennensula.

We did run into several RV couples in the interior that said they had no touble at all travelling solo for several months. They did avoid travel at night.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 03:36 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

it is no more dangerous to travel in baja california than it is to travel in the the state of california.

i live in san diego and surf in baja on a regular basis. getting across is effortless, but allow for a 2-hr wait at the border coming back due to traffic. traffic is the worst on business-day mornings and friday/saturday evenings.

be sure to get mexican insurance for your vehicle and trailer before going across. don't skimp on insurance, i've never needed it, but having it will give you peace of mind when you see some of the driving habits.

check out this website for "RV'ing in Mexico" topics:
http://www.rversonline.org/RV4Mex.html

Rosarito isn't exactly Mexico, since it is so Americanized, but hey, you are across the border, and that lobster on your dinner plate came from Mexican waters! Get down past Ensenada to really see Baja. There are RV parks all along the coast between Tijuana and Ensenada, so you won't have a problem searching for one on the internet and/or finding one you like when down there. I particularly like the Estero Beach Resort, but that is just past Ensenada (about 1 hr south of the border). If you are only going to Rosarito, at least have the experience of eating at the Calafia Hotel's outdoor patio... it is only about 10 minutes south of Rosarito.

christopher
gerbermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 06:23 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Rosarito

We've been to Baja many times. We always found it quite wonderful. I am not particularly fond of the border area, because it's too crowded and touristy. I could not imagine staying there for more than a day's visit.
I would not cross at San Ysidro, but use one of the border corssings east of there.
We often go to San Felipe and have been finding the locals and guests there very friendly and helpful. It is a very safe place, in my experience. Never had a single problem, never even tried to be extra careful other than keeping things locked and driving during daylight only. I do play by the rules, and treat the place with the respect it deserves.
San Felipe has a much better Baja feel than the north west side of Baja. The beaches are excellent, and there are many RV parks, even though most of them have water only, no power or sewer hookups. We just pull the Airstream on the sand and stay. I posted some pictures from one of the trips. There are several military checkpoints on the way down there, looking for drugs and weapons. They will not harm anything or anyone, so long that you don't carry the items in question. We give them cold water and fruit, especially on the way back, can't bring fruit into US from Baja.
I do know that on the mainland crime is a problem, and theft is frequent and common. But I would encourage going to Baja, as long as you're willing to go down a little ways and don't stay near the border. It's got hundreds of very interesting places to stay at, from mountain lakes to beaches, secluded hot springs and everything in between. And it is very cheap, aside from being beautiful. Sure US has incredibly nice places to visit, but it's not the same, not even close, to Baja for sheer adventure and fun.
Next year we will take the Airstream to Bahia de Los Angeles, bring the Zodiac to explore the Islands, go birdwatching and kayaking. There are many good books and sites on the subject. I'll gladly share MY experiences for anyone that wants to go.
Old 10-18-2002, 06:45 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Border Crossing/Tecate

Baja is indeed a wonderful place to travel. Have traveled there many times but only once with my A/S. On that trip went to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco) in the Gulf which is east of San Felipe. There was a wonderful trailer park there right on the water with all of the amenities for less than $20 a nite (I cannot remember the name of the place at the moment)
As was suggested in the earlier posts, San Ysidro is NOT the place to cross the border with a trailer. I would recommend an hour or so extra driving time to drive to the Tecate crossing to save a couple of hours and less stress.
1958 Flying Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 06:59 PM   #7
Krazykraut

Mexico

Thanks for all the info. I have a brother in rosarito, I haven't seen in 10 years. So I plan to sneak up on him. He lives at a campsite there.