Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2004, 04:57 PM   #21
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Yeah...might end up using my 94 Golf III. It's 2400 lbs (dry), four doors and seats five. Looks at all of the money I'm saving. Now I don't need to buy a 360 and a saturn to tow behind it!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 01:19 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

So, I know people looked up the tow ratings for the gas powered classics (namely the p30 chassis), but what about the oh so rare 360 diesel classics. Didn't someone say that they were on the spartan chassis? And how about the gillig chassis 370? Anyone know it's tow rating?

Keep on streamin'
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:14 AM   #23
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
toddster,
Good question on the spartan. I emailed Airstream with my questions about towing capacities on the 360 gasser. I think they would be more than happy to answer questions about the dp version.

I also kind of remember a post from a 370 owner about a 2000# limit on theirs as well. I suspect this limit had more to do with the frame extensions than the original chassis.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
So the Honda Accord is ok to tow flat? The stick makes the difference I would guess.
Funny I just bought then sold an 86 for $750, of course I still have my 95 Saturn.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

No Response from Airstream!!!

I emailed Airstream last week about the towing capacity of the Classic 36 Diesel Pusher with the Spartan chassis. They have yet to get back to me. Anyone else know the answer to this one????

-Toddster
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 09:39 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lansing , Michigan
I just looked at my 1976 owners manual and it said that the 1976 Argosy MH will trailer 4000#. Is this correct. Did the older MH have more rugged hitch attachments? It seems quite excessive judging from everyone else's capacities. Does anyone have an answer? Thanks!!!!
tandemfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:05 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Boats13
Let's tow more toys!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster
I emailed Airstream last week about the towing capacity of the Classic 36 Diesel Pusher with the Spartan chassis. They have yet to get back to me. Anyone else know the answer to this one????

-Toddster

Did Airstream ever reply? There are two currently for sale, one '95 and one '94.
Boats13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 05:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I just added a 1995 360 diesel pusher for sale on my site. I asked the seller to get me the towing specs.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:43 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Obsession is being fed....

LOL Fred, I called the current owner last night with the same question, he was going to look today. I am going to look at it on Sunday. You all moved?
CT
Old 05-20-2005, 07:06 AM   #30
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
That sure is pretty...but wow is it spendy! Someday my 360 will come...someday my 360 will come.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Seller reports Airstream told him 4000# with a 400# hitch weight for the 1995 360 DIESEL PUSHER model.

Yes, I did get moved and my PC working. I now have a VERY LONG list of home repairs. Nice sturdy older home for a good price in a strong re-sale area. (almost sounds like a Airstream classic motorhome).
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Home repairs!?.... oh my, well hurry up!

So you can resell the house and get the next airstream on the profit!!!!

LOL, Airstream replied to me today with the same figures. Spartan wanted the chassis VIN.

I am very interested in the differences in the chassis/ aft frame and the steering hardware!

CT
Old 05-23-2005, 04:52 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Classic Diesel Pusher in GA

We looked at the 360 that is advertised on Fred's site and airstream.com, etc.
It is a whole different feel inside and ride. There is very little noise, up front on the road. It drove beautifully at 75mph (approx 2300 rpm). It seemed to sit higher and I did not think to measure it. Super clean inside. Very clean underneath as well. I know next to nothing about the Spartan chassis and its attendant weak points/strong points... Very different ride on steel leaf springs.
I believe it needs shocks(there was a bit of "wiggle" going over bumps, felt like toward the passenger front), although I did not see any external leakage on the shocks. It made a clattering squeaking noise on hard bumps. This could have been the leaf springs loosening up. I could see some fresh "rusty dust" from between the front springs after we drove it. It appeared well greased. The owner has extensive records. Coach shows no apparent UV damage and is garaged now.

The only concerns I found mechanically (given my lack of experience with this chassis, etc) are as follows:
There is a seeping leak on a front caliper.
The cruise does not work. (Owner stated he was told the Eco Cruise was no longer manufactured) and I would have no idea how to install something else.
I wonder if something could be adapted from a Dodge with the Cummins in it... or a salvage unit from another Spartan chassied{new word?} RV?
And the only real concern:
An oil leak on the oilpan at the bellhousing. Was definately Engine oil, not Diesel or Trans fluid. I will be searching the forums and my local mechanics to see if there is a rear main issue with the B5.9's. Engine was clean and strong otherwise.

This coach seemed almost new inside and out, with only 23k on it and 14k of that in the last 3 years, it sure does appear to be a real find! I will post more pics of it (Terry, the owner, encouraged this ) of the underside and the suspension and engine compartment.

CT
Old 05-23-2005, 06:02 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
C.T.

A couple of points from someone who has ZIPPO experience with a Spartan chassis...purely generic observations.

A few bucks spent at a CAT scale or similar might tell you a bunch about what is going on with the front end. Most scales have enough room to place one wheel at a time (right and left) to get a weight on each individual tire (dually) support point. Cost of most CAT scales I have been to are about 10 bucks for the first weighing, and then only a dollar or so for each immediate subsequent weighing....you can get a LOT of info for a 20 dollar bill. For a few Dinars and a couple of hours (or less) you might have a better "feeling" of how the chassis is loaded (front to back and right to left), and, more importantly, how close to being maxed out the chassis really is.

New shocks (and steering stabilizer) on my 345 certainly went a long way to improve the handling. I went with Bilsteins all around and will again should the need arrive....I have been very happy with them.

Is there a "bag" type suspension in the front end? If there is, make sure to check the pressure - 80 psi is a good starting point...you don't want too much or too little. New bags for the P-30 series run about $100 for a pair, but some are a real bugger to replace.

Please share your findings with the Forum.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 06:49 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Suspension/weight(s)

Dennis,

Thanks! The owner volunteered to weigh it this week (said he had a friend in trucking with a certified scale). I will call him and ask for a detailed weighin if possible.

The front suspension is a U-shaped mono beam on steel leaf springs. The shackles to the rear and frame mount to the forward end. Reversed shackle set ups tend to soften the ride at the expense of a bit more front end dive on braking (at least they do on old Jeeps and Ford trucks we have put them on).
I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how of it. (edited text: The unit did not list(tilt) to either side when I got to walk around it at a nice level truck stop parking lot.)

I don't remember anti sway bars front or rear... will peruse the pics I took for evidence of them.

Having read your experiences and others..... No engine is bulletproof, nor transmissions... but, oh man, the debate against/for the diesel (initial expense vs operating cost/power/mileage/replacement cost/longevity) oh my goodness one could rationalize this Sooooooooooooooo many different ways...

CT
Old 05-23-2005, 07:03 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Lost link

There were two AS MH Classics for sale in Leesburg Fla. One diesel '94 and one gas 345. I lost the link to the diesel, any of you folks looking have that link? All of my re-searches have been in vain. Dang it! If memory serves it is listed by the sister of the owner.... But that may have been one in CA.... (edit: yeah, the sister's coach is in CA)AIIIGH! I go to sleep at night comparing relative repair lists with intial costs... my gf thinks I have gone off the deep end with the amount of details I compare... but I figure to be stuck with this thing for life...

CT
Old 05-23-2005, 08:07 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

3rd attempt at pic....

http://www.airforums.com/photo...age.php?i=8874

testing, testing, testing, buehler?
Old 06-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Towing capacity of 360DP

Spartan says:

"...coach has a 5,000 lb towing capacity.
If you have further questions, please advise."

CT