Old 07-23-2004, 06:07 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

I am going to dig into this one.

I am going to look for a ideas at various shops and take it from there. I think that this will fly, as I believe that once you have the proper pieces you can safely tow this one. Thanks for the opinions.

Old 07-23-2004, 07:58 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Anything is possible

When I was young and really stupid, I once pulled a 1942 GMC 2 1/2 ton bobtail from the Bay Area to Cheyenne, Wyoming, with a 1969 Dodge Charger. Used one of those same towbar assemblies. Should have heard the truckers on the CB when I passed them going up the mountain grades on I-80 at 65mph. The 440 Mag certainly did not lack for power. Luckily it was pretty much a straight shot and it followed along just fine, even though it looked like the truck was pushing the car.

Old 07-23-2004, 08:38 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
My post was a suggestion. I do think it is a much better plan to try to drive it home and find a mechanic if needed. Or do some research ahead of time and have a few mechanics chosen along the route. Unless you can park it if it breaks down and start the negotiations from a non-desperate position I fear it will be a very costly tow job.

If you want to read a thread that is a worst case scenario go to The Adventures of Brett and Edie I

It has been a year and we still love the coach, but I was not even going to contemplate towing it home. If you are going to tow it remember to disconnect the rear U joint form the differential. Not doing so will guarantee you need a new transmission.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:38 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

What stories!

Safari,
I tip my hat to you, must have been really, really young... Thanks for the visual.
Newkid,
It is all in the exploratory stage, I do not think that I would expose myself to a disaster. Should I come across a dissenting vote, I will look for a mechanic. The only concern there is the time. I am limited on time. But considering the possibilities, I may just ask for extra vacation time.
Thanks for your advice.
Hidalgo
Old 07-24-2004, 10:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
This is a dissenting vote.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalgo
... I do not think that I would expose myself to a disaster. Should I come across a dissenting vote, I will look for a mechanic....

Hidalgo --

Like 71_safari I pulled some really hairy loads in my youth....

I urge you to go the "drive it home" route.....

If the engine or transmission goes belly up on the way home, well, you will be that much closer to home....

Just find a secure place to leave it and start to negotiate non-emergency repairs.

After much reflection on my part this is my contingency plan.....if the tranny quits rebuild it, and if the engine blows buy a new one.......

Please don't do anything unsafe....

Note to anyone planning to pull a 16,000 lb plus P-3X chassis.....without power steering it is almost impossible to turn (I know)...the power brakes are assisted by the power steering pump, and 16,000 lbs needs every bit of "power" available to stop safely......

Good luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:53 AM   #20
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
20' is short. I like the remove front bumper and attach a custom tow bar idea. Have it made. Better bring some grinding/cutting tools in case the 4 bolts holding the front bumper on are rusted. Don't plan on using those 4 points to attached the tow bar, they are tiny. You will have to dream some other attachment up. Got a portable welding rig? Check the capacity of your truck's hitch and ball. Have someone ride in the motorhome in case the hitch breaks. He can operate the brakes as well, even if the engine is not operating. It's better than no assit at all. Might be a good idea to get new motorhome tires before departing. I wonder how a blowout would be while being towed?!?

Second idea: Have a tow dolly made rated to handle the weight of the front of the motorhome. Have surge brakes on the custom dolly. Have big straps holding motorhome to dolley.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #21
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPM
Second idea: Have a tow dolly made rated to handle the weight of the front of the motorhome. Have surge brakes on the custom dolly. Have big straps holding motorhome to dolley.
You might have to let the air out of the front tires so the rear of the motorhome clears bumps and does not drag.

Drive slow. Have you ever seen a large trailor walk the rear of the tow vehicle? Everything turns over on it side and slides along way. Everything is a loss. Problem is magnified when towed wieght exceeds tow vehicle weight.

Idea 3: make a tow bar or dolley, rent a commercial truck rated for the job.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:19 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

It is doable.

In the short time since I started looking I have been given various visuals.
I have found a tow bar that is rated for 8500lbs, I am certain that my motorhome is only 1,000lbs more. I will look further for more hefty one.
Should I not find it, I will look for a hefty mechanic. Thanks for the input
Old 08-15-2004, 07:55 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Billings , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalgo
In the short time since I started looking I have been given various visuals.
I have found a tow bar that is rated for 8500lbs, I am certain that my motorhome is only 1,000lbs more. I will look further for more hefty one.
Should I not find it, I will look for a hefty mechanic. Thanks for the input
Hidalgo,

I had some time to really look this forum over today and I think your post at, http://www.airforums.com/forum...678#post101678 in so you want to buy a trailer that is 3 states away???? and my post at http://www.airforums.com/forum...3777#post93777 are about the same MOHO.
Have you gone to pick this unit up yet?
Maybe I can Help.

Don B

Don B
Old 08-15-2004, 11:07 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Making my way to MO!

Don,
Indeed this is the unit you advertised, thanks for such move! We are very
grateful as we had just sold our '64 Globetrotter, and were looking for a small motorhome or trailer. I am since done a couple of things: 1) Researched the towability and found out it is doable and within logic 2) I have purchased a three car trailer very low to the ground as to give me clearance. I will travel to Springfield and tow it with a Blue Ox Aventa towbar. This tow bar is rated for 10,000 lbs, and it is plenty sufficient to tow the little moho. I was mistaken in the actual weight of the Argo. It stated that the Max GVW was 10,500lbs, but curb weight is only 7500lbs! This is plenty of clearance. The trailer on the other hand, is rated for 21000lbs. The gooseneck trailer will suffice and serve its purpose then it will be sold.
Either way I will be in Springfield MO the last week of August. I have already cleared my calendar, and I am primed to go.
Don, maybe we can chat when I get there. Maybe lunch, what do you say?
Hidalgo.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Well, how did it go?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

We have our 1997 B-190 set up with a Remco Drive-shaft disconnect and Roadmaster baseplate to tow behind our SOB motorhome. We are selling the B-Van since we don't use it and will remove the driveshaft disconnect shaft and put the OEM driveshaft back on. When the larger coach was too big for a remote campsite, we were going to use the B-Van as the RV Dinghy. Did that once 3 years ago, and haven't since. So, its listed here on the classifieds.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I guess Hildago returned to Cal. alive because he posted various things until the end of 2004 and never since. He seems to have never reported on towing that MH.

Gene
Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Nothing I wouldn't pull with my old chevy! I think you could get a way with a wheel dolly and some 10 ply tires with a 1 tom pickup! plenty of time!