Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2004, 04:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Tow bar receiver type or ball type?

I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee and need advise about what type tow bar I should use.
I've pretty much made up my mind to get a telescoping, retractible, internal chambered (for wiring), all terrain (unbinds itself for easy hookup), aluminum but don't mind steel, 5000 - 8000 lb. cap. tow bar. What I can't decide is if I should get the ball type that stays with the Jeep, but retracts out of the way while driving it, or the receiver type which stays with the MH and retracts. I think that having the ball type still with me when , lets say , off roading and the Jeep konks out, I can get towed out without calling AAA. They are cheaper too, except the aluminum (which only comes with the receiver type). The brackets on the jeep are hidden either type I use.
Thanks.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The biggest reason I have heard for going with the receiver mounted tow bars is to prevent the tow bar from popping itself off the ball. This is an issue if the tow bar is not set up correctly. The tow bar at the MH end should be no higher or lower than 3 inches off the toad end. The leverage when braking or going through a whoopsie do can cause the tow bar to disconnect if you exceed the manufacturers recommendations.

There are drop bars made that will help to correct this issue, I use one that drops the ball approx 2 inches. I have not had a problem with my ball mounted bar. I see rigs all the time where the bar is at a 30 degree angle up to the receiver on the MH. That is a disconnect waiting to happen. It also created a lifting force on the rear of the MH as the driver brakes and could cause a rear wheel lock situation

I do prefer the bar being car mounted so if the car breaks down I can get a tow from anyone with a 2 inch ball. Mine comes completely off if I wish and I either stow it in the garage or the trunk of the toad.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We have been quite satified with the roadmaster set up. I fold it up onto the front of the toad--- or stow it in the storage compartment or car trunk if I want to. I always use a cable lock to be sure the hitch won't pop off the ball.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote