Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2003, 05:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Top 10 improvements for MHs

Rumor has it that AS will be out with a new 'Classic' motor home in 2005. I suggest we give them some advice on things to do better. Here's my top 10 improvements to make.

1) Overdrive transmission (better MPG)
2) Improved TOAD weight
3) Rear engine diesel (quieter drive)
4) More basement storage
5) Dual-pane windows
6) Rear bedroom/Dinette (more usable room during the day)
7) Less exterior paint - less is more!
8) Tank Heaters (MH's tend to get more winter use)
9) Ducted A/C
10) Quieter generator
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:11 PM   #2
30 yr Airstreamer

2018 16' Sport
Port Townsend , Washington
Hopefully they will keep it much the same, I think that people will pay for the quality, uniqueness, simplicity and nostalgia that is the classic Airstream. I have had a look at the Honda generators and they are hands down the best unit, very quiet. The long 34fters with the rear bedroom is a very popular design but what I would really like to see them offer would be shorter length, 24-26ft range with a layout similar to the new Bambie. I think it would be a big mistake to paint the unit. The roof panels on the newer AS trailers are now painted white to save the clearcoat, but that does not take away from the classic's look. The dash layout could really use an update. I would also like to see interior styling like the current AS international trailers, kind of a updated version of a retro 50's look. Definately offer a diesel option hooked up with a state of the art overdrive transmission. Find a way to keep the price reasonable, not all of us are Joe Millionaire.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 06:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
My guess is that it will be similar to the 36' 1995 Diesel pusher. Classic rounded rear.

Oh, and solar panels would be nice.

As for length and price......having a short unit is nice for lots of reasons. These units will not be cheap and I'm not sure people will pay the high $$$$ for a small space.

The Honda generator is a cool idea!
Old 02-24-2003, 07:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I agree with your ideas, and also vote for a 32 foot or less with maybe a bit better interior use of space. The shorter length might help keep the price down, the fuel economy up a bit.
I love the look of the 90's models 36 and 37, but they are just too big for my needs. They could also do the classic look with maybe a variation on the roof...to make it more accessible, and usable, somewhat flatter with a coating over that area only for durability would not hurt the look- I don't think. Just a thought. Might give it a bit more of a rocket shape??
I would love to see any new classic motorhome available.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
how about more safety features for driver and pax.
better seat belts ???
an air bag ????

My 81 came with lap belts only...

gee ! another item on the list
jpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my thoughts on the interior space, would be the layout of the 310, rear bedroom, split bath, with a fold out couch and a dinette area that would fold into a sleeper ; for kids at least.
Also the cabinetry should have the slide out racks for food items, and such to make better use of space there..
I also would like to see whatever extra storage can be squeezed underneath in the compartments, and those doors could be opened up instead of down, with slide outs as possible.
The outside look should be Classic with, as Fred said, very little striping or paint, other than maybe the beltline trim.
I think the aluminum look is very retro and would be "in".

What about some type of roof rack or pod at the rear behind the a/c? If it wouldn't hurt the "look" that is.

Can a front engine diesel be accomodated like the cummins? That would keep the cost down for maintenance as compared to the rear pusher.
Making the interior look like the newer trailers which have the modern cabinets and counters would be a nice touch in my opinion as well.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Maybe go with something similar to the Alfa See Ya that has a solid roofline. The See Ya has a basement AC unit and a clean roof. More head room and more basement storage. Just a thought. Storage Storage Storage! A Classic with nothing to disturb the roof line! (except for the in-motion sat dish )
Old 03-04-2003, 09:34 AM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

If they bury the in motion sat dish under the front or rear fiberglass dome it could keep the roof smooooooooth.

The fiberglass would allow for non intereference on the signal. Far enough forward to allow for the rearward seek position that would be required driving far up north.

Some would not want it hidden as it is a badge of honor to have a in motion sat system

I agree on the basement AC. Besides a cleaner install they are quieter, and less expensive to replace should it become necessary.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
good reference with the Alfa, it is one of the few newer MH's that catch my eye.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:04 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
what dimensions are attached to this Classic.
If it is to be out in 2005 there must be a plan in place by now.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I believe that the plan is not yet finalized.
Airstream is in the process of gathering information in order to decide what features and design items are of importance to prospective owners at this time.
Some of this information will likely be gathered from present owners of the Classic motorhomes and others.
Any input you have - please post. Thanks
Old 03-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Patriot mh has 42" flat screen tv that swings down from the ceiling between the driver/passenger seats. thought it was a good idea on space saving