Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Hubertus , Wisconsin
The front end shakes?

My first foray to find airstream wisdom.... Drove the 95 land yacht ( about 60k miles on it ) from Wisconsin to.S Ca for family Christmas. We keep it between 60 and 65 and it feels like I have unbalanced ties with a bouncy shake. However it is intermittent. New front tires within the year. The guy put a little bag of graphite in the tires and said it would perennially balance.? The trip included several long crawls though slow to stop and go traffic. At slow speeds it felt sometimes like a Flintstone mobile...rocking wobble. Checked and filled the front bags to 70-75 no discernible change. Thinking of changing out the steering damper/shock?
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Before trying anything too esoteric, have you considered simply checking the front end alignment?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the AF Mark. Sorry to hear you have some problems with your unit. Sounds to me like a wheel/tire problem, but one other thing that can cause this type of bounce/wobble, is a bent driveshaft or alighnment of such.

I take that this unit is new to you?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
My first foray to find airstream wisdom.... Drove the 95 land yacht ( about 60k miles on it ) from Wisconsin to.S Ca for family Christmas. We keep it between 60 and 65 and it feels like I have unbalanced ties with a bouncy shake. However it is intermittent. New front tires within the year. The guy put a little bag of graphite in the tires and said it would perennially balance.? The trip included several long crawls though slow to stop and go traffic. At slow speeds it felt sometimes like a Flintstone mobile...rocking wobble. Checked and filled the front bags to 70-75 no discernible change. Thinking of changing out the steering damper/shock?
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #4

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Hubertus , Wisconsin
We've had it since 04. Will look at alignment and retest engine/drivetrain empty vs road speed. Maybe that would isolate or eliminate the drive shaft possibility?
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If the problem is intermittent I would look at the front brake rotors especially if the problem shows up while braking.

If you do go for an alignment make sure you go to a truck shop and not a car dealer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
on an older vehicle you can have an accumulation of wear in the front end. while installing new dampener(s) might help a thorough front end check it needed. often a bump starts the oscillations. hopefully it is something simple like a bad tire or a thrown weight.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Of course everyone has their own opinion and mine is this. I would jack up the front end and check the following:

Wheel bearing end play
Tire rods
Steering link
Ball joints
Bent wheel

If you are not mechanically inclined or inclined to do this yourself, as mentioned before a reputable frame and alignment shop that specializes in trucks can check these items for you. Also take the technician on a test ride. He would probably enjoy and also get a feel for your concerns,
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
The fact that you feel it at very slow speeds says "tire" to me, here is another thread on an older Argosy with similar symptoms:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f160...ce-111136.html
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote