Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Cedar City , Utah
TH400/3L80E Conversion

Replaced the 454 in my 79 Excella Motorhome with a 1990 454TBI and I'm researching a transmission upgrade for better fuel economy. The 3L80E appears to be a good choice with overdrive and additional gears but the flex-plate may be an issue. Is there anyone out there with expertise or experience with a transmission conversion?

If this sounds like a major upgrade, I can assure you it is nothing compared to what I have already done. If there is a place here to post some of the interesting and unique things that I've done (much of it personally) to my baby, I would love sharing it. I have found some very cool solutions/upgrades without losing the vintage flavor of this coach. Other than flying, restoring my ride has been and still is my favorite pass-time.

Mary
marydixon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by marydixon555 View Post
Replaced the 454 in my 79 Excella Motorhome with a 1990 454TBI and I'm researching a transmission upgrade for better fuel economy. The 3L80E appears to be a good choice with overdrive and additional gears but the flex-plate may be an issue. Is there anyone out there with expertise or experience with a transmission conversion?

If this sounds like a major upgrade, I can assure you it is nothing compared to what I have already done. If there is a place here to post some of the interesting and unique things that I've done (much of it personally) to my baby, I would love sharing it. I have found some very cool solutions/upgrades without losing the vintage flavor of this coach. Other than flying, restoring my ride has been and still is my favorite pass-time.

Mary
Welcome to the forums, there is always room for another 280. You can post you upgrades right here or start a thread in Classic Motorhomes.

To answer you question check out this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f159...old-69221.html He did a 4L80E coversion from n Allison. It might give you some ideas.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Cedar City , Utah
Dan, you are AWESOME! You've quickly helped me here before and I cannot begin to describe how critical your information has been to me. Wish I had relied on a little help from my friends sooner. New wiper motors and linkage have been installed and I have a single switch which will operate both motors and incorporates washer, 2 speeds, 3 delays and park on this 1979. Thank you Dan! If we meet, I'll buy lunch! Mary
marydixon555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by marydixon555 View Post
Dan, you are AWESOME! You've quickly helped me here before and I cannot begin to describe how critical your information has been to me. Wish I had relied on a little help from my friends sooner. New wiper motors and linkage have been installed and I have a single switch which will operate both motors and incorporates washer, 2 speeds, 3 delays and park on this 1979. Thank you Dan! If we meet, I'll buy lunch! Mary
Glad to be of help Mary, that's one of the great things about airforums we help each other. About lunch you're on, I try never to miss a meal.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote