Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
Michael Wild

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Airstream310
Edmonton , Alberta
Tesla Powered Airstream MoHo

Has anyone looked into taking Tesla motors and battery packs and making a Tesla powered MoHo?

I would love to do this to my 1984 Airstream 310.

My other thought was to buy a Atlis XP platform and fit my Airstream 310 body to it. Any thoughts on that idea?
http://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xp-platform

It would be the world's first true REV Recreational Electric Vehicle
Michael_Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:07 AM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I think the pertinent comment is in the Atlis FAQ section...."by 2025, battery technology should allow for a 5 minute charge time" so by 2026 it will be worth considering.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Tesla and MB are back in discussion on a new partnership. Much interest in a Tesla powered Sprinter. MB has said there will be an EV version of the Sprinter, most likely in Europe. Past partnership led to the BEV B-Class car that was powered by a Tesla drivetrain. Tesla itself is looking at Sprinters for their logistical needs. Stay Tuned.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
I've thought about it, I love the idea, I wouldn't say I've seriously looked into it. Mostly range. A tesla model x has a couple hundred miles range, physics dictates my 310 would probably get a couple dozen with the same batteries.

There is also the hiccup of not being able to get this bus into a normal charging spot.

When/if the Tesla semi comes out, a full tractor trailer with 600 mile range and 1-2 hour charging, then the tech might be ready.

Advantages of an electric motorhome are hypothetically awesome
solar charges the batteries, free charge if you boondock in the desert for a couple weeks
They would charge overnight at a campground
Inverter eliminates the generator
Huge weight downhill means a beefy regenerative breaking setup can harvest a corresponding huge benefit
TORQUE up hills
Tie into the electrically powered toad
And of course cost, 8mpg is a pretty low bar for coming out ahead in a cost analysis

For me it's a maybe in 10 years project

I also like the idea of a hybrid motorhome, mostly for torque when climbing hills
Old 02-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Based on some of the Tesla vehicle fires I've watched lately, I'd be slightly concerned that the gigantic lithium battery pack would be between me and my 310's exit door.
I have had to go through the drivers window one day after my lock failed; but started on a ladder; going out the other way is quite the drop.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Based on some of the Tesla vehicle fires I've watched lately, I'd be slightly concerned that the gigantic lithium battery pack would be between me and my 310's exit door.
I have had to go through the drivers window one day after my lock failed; but started on a ladder; going out the other way is quite the drop.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Between you and the door?
I'd ditch the gas tank and generator and there's plenty of room underneath the bedroom

I wonder if the semi will have multiple packs, making it easier to split the location and distribute weight. If not it's just boxes and wires.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Seattle , Washington
I’m a believer. Am in the process of buying a 30 year old Airstream 345 in order to put my ideas into play. Am figuring two full battery belly pans from S, X, or 3, one performance rear motor (about 400 HP and equal torque), and a solar array to charge when parked. The solar array has to be pretty big to recharge depleted batteries in a few days.

I’m planning on 1100 square feet of solar canopy/awnings to kick in 10,000 watts on a good day. For now a Tesla Powerwall is penciled in as the mediator between the batteries and the solar array. Will use a Tesla car CPU to manage the batteries (health, not acceleration).

Have to design and build the cradle to contain the motor and bolt it to the engine environment and couple it with the drivetrain.

I plan to be very transparent about the process. I’ll have a tech blog to share specs, experiences and videos of the progress. Once on the road we will have a live feed of our energy production from the solar array (and regenerative braking) and how much energy we burn (driving, cooking, cooling/heating...).

Should be fun!
SolAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolAirstream View Post
I’m a believer. Am in the process of buying a 30 year old Airstream 345 in order to put my ideas into play. Am figuring two full battery belly pans from S, X, or 3, one performance rear motor (about 400 HP and equal torque), and a solar array to charge when parked. The solar array has to be pretty big to recharge depleted batteries in a few days.

I’m planning on 1100 square feet of solar canopy/awnings to kick in 10,000 watts on a good day. For now a Tesla Powerwall is penciled in as the mediator between the batteries and the solar array. Will use a Tesla car CPU to manage the batteries (health, not acceleration).

Have to design and build the cradle to contain the motor and bolt it to the engine environment and couple it with the drivetrain.

I plan to be very transparent about the process. I’ll have a tech blog to share specs, experiences and videos of the progress. Once on the road we will have a live feed of our energy production from the solar array (and regenerative braking) and how much energy we burn (driving, cooking, cooling/heating...).

Should be fun!
Sounds like an exciting project, I look forward to seeing more of it, keep us posted!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Seattle , Washington
Purchase confirmed: 1988 345 out of Phoenix. Should have it in Seattle by March. Present owner generously offered to drive it up for the cost of fuel.

We’ll take it on the road for a month to experience the environment and make notes on what we’d like to customize. It will also allow us to document MPG, power usage, general energy use (propane, shore line, house batteries...) to give us a base line for gauging the impact of the planned alterations.

Then the hard work begins!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Purchase confirmed: 1988 345 out of Phoenix. Should have it in Seattle by March. Present owner generously offered to drive it up for the cost of fuel.

We’ll take it on the road for a month to experience the environment and make notes on what we’d like to customize. It will also allow us to document MPG, power usage, general energy use (propane, shore line, house batteries...) to give us a base line for gauging the impact of the planned alterations.

I love this project. Too ambitious for me, but I will follow it closely. I've done a lot of research, and built a prototype, of the ultimate solar system for RV's.

Good luck,
Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:

Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #12
Michael Wild

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Airstream310
Edmonton , Alberta
Quote:
I’m a believer...
Should be fun!
LOVE it! Please start a blog on your work, I would love to follow you.
Michael_Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Seattle , Washington
Got our first 345

Seller drove it up from Phoenix yesterday. We are very pleased. Very good condition 1988 345. Interior is clean, no musty or cooking scents. New tires, shocks, brakes... The outside is tattered: oxidized, scratched, some passenger side thumps, but all in all, good. No smoke from the engine running nor after sitting for a day.

This will be the proof-of-concept vehicle. Several months of planning, a month or so of work, and we should have our first test bed on wheels. Very excited.

I will share the blog link once it is up and ping back here to gain knowledge and share project updates.

And if I could figure out how to link to an image from my Dropbox, well then there would be a photo instead of the little square above this sentence. Sigh.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Seattle , Washington

Here is where we start (after a year of pre-prep).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1988airstream345.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	334962  
Old 05-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Ware , UK
Amazing project and ambition.

Of course being in England, if our Classic was dependant upon solar charging it would be sitting around A LOT waiting for the sun to shine long enough. Will keenly follow a blog

Good luck, can't wait for updates!

cheers
V8JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I'm waiting for the Tesla Pickup details to be released. My project won't be as ambitious as yours; just massive solar/lithium on my 30 foot Classic and then tie it into the 200KWh Tesla Pickup for charging and use.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:07 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8JET View Post
Amazing project and ambition.

Of course being in England, if our Classic was dependant upon solar charging it would be sitting around A LOT waiting for the sun to shine long enough. Will keenly follow a blog

Good luck, can't wait for updates!

cheers
Luckily he's in Seattle WA, better know as the Sunshine Capital of the US.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Wild View Post
Has anyone looked into taking Tesla motors and battery packs and making a Tesla powered MoHo?

I would love to do this to my 1984 Airstream 310.

My other thought was to buy a Atlis XP platform and fit my Airstream 310 body to it. Any thoughts on that idea?
. . .
It would be the world's first true REV Recreational Electric Vehicle
. . .
In either case, with all the changes, won’t you have to get the vehicle inspected by one or more DMV/DOT agencies, in order to get plates and insurance based on the original VIN? Getting a new VIN might be an onerous process.

FWIW . . . seeing lots of red tape cluttering up the road ahead IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
In either case, with all the changes, won’t you have to get the vehicle inspected by one or more DMV/DOT agencies, in order to get plates and insurance based on the original VIN? Getting a new VIN might be an onerous process.

FWIW . . . seeing lots of red tape cluttering up the road ahead IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
Why would he? Same VIN tag on the chassis, same VIN, same registration... In my state at least you aren't required to get permission to do a drivetrain swap.

The only thing I know of is emissions depending on the state. Should be pretty easy to say emissions are zero
Old 07-07-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Ok maybe time to kick this up to the top of the forum again.

Why? Well in the last 6months Mr Musk's masterplan has become clear (be the world leader in battery technology by making a few cars and triggering public interest that the other manufacturers will spend billions to fullfill, buying batteries from Tesla).

Which means the Tesla motors, batteries and chargers are available for converting non-EV (at a cost of around $20K for a 200mile range set using the large motor unit).

Also it appears the technology is not appearing limited by battery packs but by the huge torque the motors generate (with reports of the large motor striping teeth, maybe due to the 450hp/450 NM output).

So how do we get a motor designed for transverse mounting, and directly driving the wheels (no transmission etc) into our chassis. I am assuming the whole cart spring dually axle will have to go?

Diesel pusher? Pah! EV pusher coming soon!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote