Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
 
ravi's Avatar
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Waco , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Repacking bearings

Wanted to get my tag axle bearings repacked over at a Wingfoot. Any advice on seals etc? I have no idea about this but just wanted to do it so everything runs smoothly on the tag. Don't know when this was done last as I've only had mine about a year. Thanks!!!

Ravi
__________________

__________________
ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi View Post
Wanted to get my tag axle bearings repacked over at a Wingfoot. Any advice on seals etc? I have no idea about this but just wanted to do it so everything runs smoothly on the tag. Don't know when this was done last as I've only had mine about a year. Thanks!!!

Ravi
The grease seals used in the tag axles are double lipped with a spring.

They are the same one's that came with the original tag axle.

Do not use the auto parts store cheapies.

There is but one new tag axle available in the US, so don't take any chances, as that new axle, is not cheap.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Ready to go campin?
 
wvabeer's Avatar
 
1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 349
Images: 49
What is the seal number and in my manual it says to use lithium grease, which type of lithium grease?
__________________
92 Landyacht 33, 454 tag axle
wvabeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
What is the seal number and in my manual it says to use lithium grease, which type of lithium grease?
The tag axles are the same thing as used on the trailers, but with different types of hardware.

Bearings and grease seals are the same.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
 
ravi's Avatar
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Waco , Texas
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
I went to Wingfoot and they simply squirted the lithium grease in the wheel hub zert. While they were at it, I had them lube the whole chassis. Man, I felt great about that. It seems to ride a lot smoother from that. And I definitely don't have the squeaks that I had before. Tested it out at Big Bend National Park!
__________________
ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi View Post
I went to Wingfoot and they simply squirted the lithium grease in the wheel hub zert. While they were at it, I had them lube the whole chassis. Man, I felt great about that. It seems to ride a lot smoother from that. And I definitely don't have the squeaks that I had before. Tested it out at Big Bend National Park!
Tag axle condition, should never be assumed.

If their recent mileage is not known, the hub and drums should be removed, the bearings should be repacked and the grease seals should absolutely be replaced.

Then with the drums off the tag axle, what's the condition of the non self adjusting brake adjustment, the shoes and the brake magnets?

The brakes on a tag axle, are exactly the same as the 12 inch brakes on the trailers.

The magnets only last about 20,000 miles and the shoes about 40,000 miles. Without them being examined by eye sight, I would seriously doubt their condition.

There is but one new Airstream tag axle left in the world, and it is very expensive.

Seized bearings can destroy a tag axle very quickly.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
Ready to go campin?
 
wvabeer's Avatar
 
1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 349
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Tag axle condition, should never be assumed.

If their recent mileage is not known, the hub and drums should be removed, the bearings should be repacked and the grease seals should absolutely be replaced.

Then with the drums off the tag axle, what's the condition of the non self adjusting brake adjustment, the shoes and the brake magnets?

The brakes on a tag axle, are exactly the same as the 12 inch brakes on the trailers.

The magnets only last about 20,000 miles and the shoes about 40,000 miles. Without them being examined by eye sight, I would seriously doubt their condition.

There is but one new Airstream tag axle left in the world, and it is very expensive.

Seized bearings can destroy a tag axle very quickly.

Andy
What type of lithium grease or is it really necessary.
__________________
92 Landyacht 33, 454 tag axle
wvabeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
What type of lithium grease or is it really necessary.
Most any good quality grease will work just fine.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Keyair's Avatar

 
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,935
Images: 1
Andy, I have heard you say that the Tag axles are almost done now...
I read many trailer owners putting new axles under trailers...
Is it possible to retrofit a different tag axle under a MH?
__________________
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Andy, I have heard you say that the Tag axles are almost done now...
I read many trailer owners putting new axles under trailers...
Is it possible to retrofit a different tag axle under a MH?
Perhaps.

But...............no one makes them or wants to.

I have checked with the better torsion axle manufacturers and they all say "NO".

Unless of course you want to commit to several hundred of them.

We have one brand new one.

Maybe I should put it in a museum.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Ready to go campin?
 
wvabeer's Avatar
 
1992 33' Land Yacht
Evans , West Virginia
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 349
Images: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Most any good quality grease will work just fine.

Andy
Would you know the seal number?
__________________
92 Landyacht 33, 454 tag axle
wvabeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvabeer View Post
Would you know the seal number?
Part # 10093

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tag axle shock rdm Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 8 07-10-2008 08:15 PM
what's the tag axle for? maznblu General Motorhome Topics 1 04-16-2004 08:54 PM
Tag axle brakes for 350 classic Marshall Walters Airstream Motorhome Forums 1 08-29-2003 06:42 AM
Tag Axle Brakes cooperhawk General Motorhome Topics 1 06-23-2003 01:48 PM
Tag Axle Brake Controller winner Brakes & Brake Controllers 4 06-30-2002 09:47 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.