Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lafayette , Louisiana
Summarization of diesel MOHO models and MPG

Greetings all, I just joined the forum, and I am starting the research phase of selecting an Airstream motorhome model. My grandfather, and my father both owned Airstream campers and now I am searching for one. I have been looking through some galleries at classic models, and noticed that several models were available with diesel engines.

What I have gathered thus far:
Classic 360 diesel pusher - unknown engine w. unknown trans, unknown chas:
Classic 345 diesel puller - Cummins 5.9 diesel w. allison AT, unknown chas:
Classic 325 diesel puller - Cummins 5.9 diesel w. allison AT, unknown chas:
Classic 310 diesel puller - unknown eng with unknown trans, P30 chas: 12-16mpg
Classic 280 diesel puller - issuzu eng with unknown trans, unknown chas: 12.5-17mpg

I would love to hear your expertise and fuel mileage experience - gas or diesel. How difficult is your model to find chassis and engine parts for? What fuel mileage do you observe? Thanks everyone!
LANcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

Currently Looking...
Lafayette , Louisiana
I just read that a gasoline 345 gets 12-14MPG too.
LANcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
I saw a diesel Airstream for sale on the west side of Highway 49 somewhere near Hattiesburg, MS last week. We were driving home from Mobile, AL and happened to notice it. I can't tell you the exact place but it was in a small town near Hattiesburg.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
I saw a diesel Airstream for sale on the west side of Highway 49 somewhere near Hattiesburg, MS last week. We were driving home from Mobile, AL and happened to notice it. I can't tell you the exact place but it was in a small town near Hattiesburg.
color , Model ?
if you recall
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANcamp View Post
I just read that a gasoline 345 gets 12-14MPG too.
7 to 8 would be fair
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
It was basically aluminum with blue trim. I couldn't tell you how long it was but it was longer than 28'. I mentioned it to my wife as we drove by, but she just said, "Keep Driving!"
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
6-8 mpg is fair for the gas 345/Chevy 454.

There are a few early 345's with Isuzu diesel engines. The Cummins 345 is a pretty rare bird in the later 345's! I have yet to see a 345 with the Isuzu come for sale. I have seen one 345 with the Cummins for sale (in 10 years!)

Most of the post 1988 units have electronic fuel injection and also have transmissions geared for the higher speeds.

Here are some links to help your search. I hope that helps.

Fred's Airstream Archives - Motorhomes
Fred's Airstream Archives - Engines and Chassis Matrix
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Our 310 Isuzu w/od and hot-rodded Chev trans gets 15mpg @ 65mph.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #9

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Correct name is: Classic 36 Pusher - the 360 was gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANcamp View Post
Greetings all, I just joined the forum, and I am starting the research phase of selecting an Airstream motorhome model. My grandfather, and my father both owned Airstream campers and now I am searching for one. I have been looking through some galleries at classic models, and noticed that several models were available with diesel engines.

What I have gathered thus far:
Classic 360 diesel pusher - unknown engine w. unknown trans, unknown chas:
Classic 345 diesel puller - Cummins 5.9 diesel w. allison AT, unknown chas:
Classic 325 diesel puller - Cummins 5.9 diesel w. allison AT, unknown chas:
Classic 310 diesel puller - unknown eng with unknown trans, P30 chas: 12-16mpg
Classic 280 diesel puller - issuzu eng with unknown trans, unknown chas: 12.5-17mpg

I would love to hear your expertise and fuel mileage experience - gas or diesel. How difficult is your model to find chassis and engine parts for? What fuel mileage do you observe? Thanks everyone!
The gas was a 454 Chevy engine
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Harry P

1995 36' Classic 36
Elk Grove Village , Illinois
Classic 454 MPG.

I'm not sure this is the right place for my Classic 36 gas mpg report, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

My Classic has 73,000 miles and has the Banks intake, headers and exhaust with one exception, I have dual exhaust pipes. The sound is a tad louder than stock, but it sounds good and has a little extra punch available at the pedal. My mileage increased by only .2 - .4 mpg after adding the Banks. On an average trip, I can run in top gear lockup 95% of the time, with only a rare downshift for the steeper and longer grades

I have kept accurate records of my travels in my 1995 Classic 36 with 454 Chevy over the last 6 years or so. I do not pull a car, but I do tow a small trailer with a motorcyle or two. I also travel with only a 450# scooter on a rack in the receiver from time to time, (the rack weighs 60#).

With only the scooter, I average right at 9.8 mpg. It will go as high as 10.5 on backroads averaging 50-60 mph with no winds or a slight tail wind. Slightly lower with headwinds or higher speeds, (60-65 mph).

With the trailer and 2 bikes, (estimated weight pulling of 3000#), I will average 8.9 mpg, travelling at 62-63 mph. Again, slightly higher with tailwind, slightly less with headwind.

I am happy with what I am getting, but like most, I wish I could get more. Hope some of this helps. Anyone else with better results?
harryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
1984 Airstream Classic 345.
Jasper rebuilt 454, Edelbrock Carb, junk pancake airfilter, and leaking/weeping gas tank filler tube. Cruise control not working.
Stock Th475 Transmission.

Post purchase drive from Dodge City, KS to Irvine, So California of about 1600 miles. Freeway speed I held about 65mph.

First part of the trip thru KS, OK, and TX, flatish, but there was a steady headwind, and netted 7.3mpg average.
Midpart of trip thru NM, and AZ included a side trip over the Continental Divide, at over 9000', and lots of side roads, and hills, netted about 8.0mpg.
Final leg thru AZ, and CA all on freeway netted 8.5mpg average.
Genset use was minimal, and I am sure my right foot skills improved with the miles.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Ellisville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
I think I just bought it after a blown engine caused it to be towed. I am going to be replacing the engine soon. It had a leak in the radiator and overheated.
cjshaffer2 is offline   Reply With Quote