Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2006, 07:22 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Skaneateles , New York
Re-engine update please

I still remember my wife's needle fists impacting my ribbs after I bought the Beech 18. She was a little less out-of-control with the Maule and now she positively supportive of the1984 A/S MH we just bought. Thirty years ago we drove our VW bus into the Sahara and we have shared happy memmories of that trip and in her imagination there are effortless days of touring ahead in this '84 infantastic original condition(75M)...in mind is a lengthy list of mechanical goblins. So! I would like to update the writen history of this tribe with input on a thread that has been idle since '03. Would Propstrike,thenewkid64,peterh-79mh,donnall,mcneon,et al please update us on their progress. Tom
wanderingeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Tom,
I was not on that list since my engine problem came after that post but I am a survivor of an engine meltdown and a complete new engine.
I purchase a motor home which was well maintained but still have regular system breakdowns. I always tell the prospective and new owners of these wonderful classics that the purchase price is just the down payment. The other piece of advice is that every penny we have invested has paid us back with dollars of enjoyment.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:01 AM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
No news from me, mine just does exactly what it is supposed to do. Start every time I turn the key and allow me the freedom to go where I want to and take my home with me
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 07:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My 280 has been very reliable now for the four years plus that I have owned it. We slowed down a little on the longer trip as other obligations get in the way, but still ue it often, and I still get out and drive it once a week or so to keep things charged up and ready.
After replacing the starter and alternator, I have not had any mechanical issues. Done regular maintenance of course as needed.
My only problem now is a leaky exhaust manifold which could be repaired but I am holding out to put on headers when I am able to do that.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
"....any words of experience would be happily received, greatly appreciated.........

I got into my 345 at a pretty good price, but have since spent about twice the entry price in "personalizing"....and very little of that on the engine.

I know I will never recover the full cost of the makeover, but I went into it with eyes wide open.

The following comments are made considering you apparently have a healty list of expensive repairs.

If you have the funds, and the desire to stick with AS instead of taking the next step up to Diesels, there are several cherry 345's for sale in the Houston area. One has a recent Banks installation, and another is a practically new '92. There is also a late 80's with a 5.9 Cummins.......

As far as a "Diesel Kit" for it, you may want to weigh each wheel prior to considering going diesel. Any decent (read adequate horsepower) diesel and accompanying transmission will be significantly heavier than your stock engine. On my 345 I have almost no weight available for anything heavier than the 454.
I would like to know more about the 345 with the cummins. Or, specifically, talk a lot to someone who had done this sort of repower successfully. I recently bought a 350 with an OK 454 in it, but would much rather have a diesel. I got the 350 for a good enough price that I could justify re-powering and might still be close to a normal market price, and I already have 3 Mercedes 5 cyl diesel autos, so its not like learning a new language. Can we start a diesel thread?
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Propstrike....I just finished the engine work on my 79 28'...lucky for me the bottom of my motor was sound...I changed to a power pulling type cam, variable lifters, the old taller intake manifold and a rebuild on the carb...while at it we put in a new radiator, power steering pump, motor mounts cam chain and pulleys...this engine pulls like crazy can't wait to get headers and the msd going...I bought the older Airstream knowing it would require a lot of work and money (I owned a sob and knew i loved the life of rving) I did it because of the look, design, quality of construction and floorplan....I am in the middle of interior restoration (huge job for me) so I havn't driven it a lot...I removed my couch and installed a new modern couch that makes a larger bed...it is not rv specific...but I found one that just fits from Euroway...I have the same interior as yours in fron but center bath and rear bed...good luck on your endeavors...joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Hey rvlover- we motorhome heads would love to see some photos, ongoing resto stuff ...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

photos coming as soon as i learn to use both my camera and computer...joe
joewinfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:15 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Horsepower from bowtie

Classic muscle sells GM crate motors
small blocks(350-383) from 190 hp to 425 H.P
and a whopping 572- 720 hp and most everything in between
I hope this link is good
http://www.oldmusclecars.com/
here is their pdf on engines.
http://www.1955-75chevyautoparts.com...1%20engine.pdf
just for ref so you can get some ideas as to what is out there from the bowtie people and approx cost.

ol'George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #30
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
Well fellas,
Just returned from Alaska after over a year flying in the bush. It's now time to tackle the engine replacement. Been a long time in coming, but here I go.... I'll keep up a log as we go along.

Looks like the 502 is the way to go, now looking for the best deal. Sure is great to have everyone's input on this!

All this aside, I'm interviewing in Albuquerque tomorrow, possibly moving there. Anyone have any experiences on a good place to park the silver twinkie there?

Thanks!
propstrike is offline   Reply With Quote