Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
New Member
 
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Stark city , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
starter aux switch

My wife and i just inhereted a 1985 345 motorhome, we are excited to get started, however we have a question on some motorhomes there is a switch that connects the house batteries to the engine
battery (if needed) does the airstream have this?
Thanks in advance

__________________

__________________
Farm 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Waipio Rim's Avatar
 
1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 667
Congratulations on your inheritance, and welcome to the forums!

On our 1984 310, there is a solenoid mounted on the back of the battery tray that automatically connects all of the batteries when starting the motor. It is the one on the upper left in the attached photo.

I understand that some 345 models have a switch in the glove box that you pull by hand to accomplish the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	198175  
__________________

__________________
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
Congratulations on your inheritance, and welcome to the forums!

On our 1984 310, there is a solenoid mounted on the back of the battery tray that automatically connects all of the batteries when starting the motor. It is the one on the upper left in the attached photo.

I understand that some 345 models have a switch in the glove box that you pull by hand to accomplish the same thing.
That's interesting. Our 84 310 has a switch in the glove box to tie them together. I know it works as I had a starting problem a while back and the switch saved the day.

I wonder if your arrangement is factory or a PO mod.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
My '83, 310 had the automatic switching that Waipio mentions, with no dash switch. It was factory that way on mine.
__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
My '83, 310 had the automatic switching that Waipio mentions, with no dash switch. It was factory that way on mine.
Interesting. I will admit the switch installation is kind of kludgy which is why I assumed it was a factory installation

I'm assuming the solenoid is just connected to the starter solenoid wire.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
Auretrvr's Avatar
 
1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 230
My Starter Assist (Aux) switch solenoid shorted out...

Last summer my chassis battery was draining while boondocking so I put a switch on the battery to disconnect it while boondocking.

Then I noticed that I could start and run the engine with the chassis battery disconnected! And could run the house lights with the engine stopped and the coach batteries disconnected! And boondocking still drained the chassis battery.

So it was a shorted Starter Assist switch solenoid. I replaced it along with the isolator and all the batteries (Long Story).

Just discovered the 'new' solenoid is shorted. Is this a coincidence or am I missing something here?

Have not replaced it yet but I've bypassed the solenoid, disabling the Starter Assist button. I have jumper cables If I need a boost.

Now the engine generator sends juice to the coach batteries and circuits when the engine is running but not when it is not. In other words the isolator is working and and there is no longer a persistent connection between chassis and house batteries. Boondocking is not draining the chassis battery.

Have you seen this kind of problem before?
__________________
Airstream OCD...there is no cure!
1983 Classic 310 Motorhome.
AIR 15765

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auretrvr View Post
Just discovered the 'new' solenoid is shorted. Is this a coincidence or am I missing something here?

Have not replaced it yet but I've bypassed the solenoid, disabling the Starter Assist button. I have jumper cables If I need a boost.
It does sound like your new solenoid is defective and not releasing. It should only connect the two battery sets when the starter is engaged or when the boost switch is operated, depending on which system you have in your coach.

There are a lot of different solenoids that look alike but have different internal wiring. Is it possible you got the wrong one, or have the wiring wrong?
__________________
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,305
The AUX battery momentary switch in my dash is bad. I'm considering removing the bus tie solenoid as I don't see a need for it.
__________________
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
Auretrvr's Avatar
 
1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 230
I can never rule out 'User Error!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
It does sound like your new solenoid is defective and not releasing. It should only connect the two battery sets when the starter is engaged or when the boost switch is operated, depending on which system you have in your coach.

There are a lot of different solenoids that look alike but have different internal wiring. Is it possible you got the wrong one, or have the wiring wrong?
Thanks, it did work work at first--the two high amp pins are indifferent but there are two posts for actuating it--start, and ignition. I have that attached right. I'll pull it out and take it back to the store!
__________________
Airstream OCD...there is no cure!
1983 Classic 310 Motorhome.
AIR 15765

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
345bill's Avatar
 
Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 608
On our 1990 345LE there is a momentary toggle switch inside the glove box that ties all batteries together if start battery needs a jump.
__________________

__________________
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.