Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2004, 07:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

stainless MH ???

Friend of ours was at Yellowstone last week and met an older couple in the parking lot...started discussing this older couples' AS MH which they claimed to be stainless steel. Our friend called to talk about other business and mentioned the discussion and ask about this. I didn't think AS made any MH or trailers out of stainless but thought I'd ask here. Anyone know if this is fact or fiction?
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Friend of ours was at Yellowstone last week and met an older couple in the parking lot...started discussing this older couples' AS MH which they claimed to be stainless steel. Our friend called to talk about other business and mentioned the discussion and ask about this. I didn't think AS made any MH or trailers out of stainless but thought I'd ask here. Anyone know if this is fact or fiction?
That would be Fiction.

I have heard alot of myths and misinformation in my Airstreaming.
One man with a 66 Overlander that he had had for 10 years told me ' "this Airstream was the only year to have aluminum skinned interior walls".

I have been told a bunch of times that Airstreams never leak.

I have been told I will never find an Airstream to buy.

I have been told that they saw on TV that Airstreams sold for over $200.000.00 for vintage models, since I had seven at the time I told them I needed some quick cash so I would sell them one for half that.

I constantly hear " They Were the Cadillac of campers"

" Do they still make them"?

"They dont make those anymore"

"There are clubs for those things"

One guy told me the other day that his was really rare as the exterior skin on his Airstream was much thinner than any other model of Airstream.

I heard from a couple that Airstreams had an Aluminum frame if they had Aluminum wheels as an option, Cool!

I have heard that Airstreams are so light you can tow them with a VW Beetle.

I heard that Airstreams were made of stainless steel, That is a myth , but it would be really cool!
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:19 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I ran into a, ahem, gentleman who claimed to be an ex employee of a local Airstream dealer. He told me all the "new" Airstreams are made of stainless, and that he had to go to a "special" school to learn how to work with SS on Airstreams. Now I know why he is an ex employee.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
stainless huh, the uninformed may confuse shiny aluminum with stainless. It would add some serious weight! Bluebirds weigh 28000 pounds and more, steel and aluminum body work.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
I Don't Know But I've Been Told...

Richardt:
A friend of mine told me that the 1979 24' Motorhomes were "extremely rare"...Fact or Fiction?
Old 07-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
On ebay, everything is "extremely rare", "Vintage", and "Hard to find"!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMo
Richardt:
A friend of mine told me that the 1979 24' Motorhomes were "extremely rare"...Fact or Fiction?
LeeMo, that would be fact, but it is unknown how many were produced. Since I have had mine, I have only heard of 5 either for sale or owned by members of this board, in fact arent you one of them? IMO every year and size Airstream is kinda rare compared to lets say my wifes PT cruiser or most other vehicles on the road.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
well considering I am a certified car nut who always is checking out cars, buses, trucks, and what have you....I have been reading Hemmings Motor News since the 60's.....and I never ever saw an Airstream classic motorhome of any size until 3-4 years ago, when I saw a 280 30 miles from here parked on a farm. Since then , being even more aware...I have seen less than 5 on the road (outside of rallys) and travelled quite a few thousand miles in my own. Yeah I would say rare is the right word. Its a nice "club" to be a member of!
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-10-2004, 11:08 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
Alan, where was that "280 30 miles from here parked on a farm?" IOW, where is the "here" in that statement. I am looking for such.
Thanks.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Well the owner passed away last year, and the 280 was sold before I got a chance to see it up close. It was in Cartersville, Georgia area.
I know of a 310 for sale in Toccoa Georgia, search for the thread posted by UncleNeal a little while ago.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 07-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
stainless huh, the uninformed may confuse shiny aluminum with stainless. It would add some serious weight! Bluebirds weigh 28000 pounds and more, steel and aluminum body work.
I can vouch for that. My 1980 Bluebird 35 footer is registered at 30,000 pounds. At least that's the weight the state made me plate it at. It's all galvanized steel and somebody also told me that they thought the floors had cement in them to help lower the center of gravity - but that could be BS like the way this thread started.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:36 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Actually , there is a guy in NH that will take an old (50s-60s) airstream down to the outside and re build them, for people like me who need to live in a bubble. They are stainless steel or porcelain steel, and are pretty bare bones. Even the water heater is stainless steel on the inside. Take a look at Tad Taylor's healthy-homes. com. They ARE there. It's what I am trying to produce and the project eats time. Get this- diamond plate for the bathroom floor- my son's idea- sigh- I have thick cotton rugs! silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote