Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Spare tire cover stolen at dealer!

I just happened to go by last night to check on the MH, and saw that the rear spare cover was off the spare. So I called this morning to ask about it and they have no idea where it is. I expect them to say that it didn't have one when I left it there. If they don't find it, I will ask them to discount $200. off my bill so I can get a new one (aftermarket continental style). If they don't play ball, then it's off to small claims. I would have expected our vehicles to be left overnight in a secure area! I'm disgusted. Now I won't have the original one anymore
Old 01-12-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
It is still at the chevy dealer called Victory Chevrolet in Petaluma, CA. It was parked in their back lot, which is fenced , but somehow someone got to it. The manager said he would call me after looking for it, but that was an hour ago and still no call. They were working on my hydroboost repair.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
You know, I heard the black market for spare tire covers was really beginning to heat up...

Seriously, though.... is there nothing sacred anymore?

I wonder where in the fenced lot your coach is parked - and does the yard itself back up to anything; neighborhood, etc.?

I got a sinking feeling they're going to slap you with the old "we're not responsible for items left in car" type of thing, even though this was actually part of the coach itself.... I do hope I'm wrong.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My uncle works at a VW dealer, he's the first guy you talk to if you go to the service area, then he hands the problem off to a real mechanic. I forget his title. Anyway, at Christmas we were talking about cars and he was saying they'd just had another theft. Apparently theives hang around waiting for them to leave cars in the breezeway running or with their keys in them, hop in and drive off. Not the first time it's happened either! They aren't supposed to leave keys in them unattended of course, and it all comes out of the dealers insurance. I'd hate to be the one who had to tell the customer their car was gone! But I was surprised to hear that the service area is so busy that they don't notice someone just hanging around waiting for an opportunity like that.

So losing a tire cover is not so bad, compared to what could happen! Hope you get them to replace it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
My dealer is in an area on the edge of the metropolitan area. He has lights, and fencing but the thieves are out there. A year ago last Halloween they broke into several motorhomes and stole the contents. He now pulls customer motorhomes in the service bays when leaving for the day. Their method was climbing the fencing and hoisting the stolen items over the top.

Motorhomes seem to be what get broken into around here.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

It’s not uncommon to lose things at dealers while left for a period of time for repairs. We have lost towels, some keyed alike locks ( because you must leave one set of keys with them) miscellaneous parts like electrical adapters, sewer hookup components, water fittings and just little things that you wont’ miss for awhile until you need it. If we have to take anything to a garage car, truck or the Airstream we take everything out of them. Gives you a chance to take inventory clean up and restore the stuff more neatly than before. It is just not worth the hassle trying to get some of the lost articles back. Ya just learn as you go along.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Thanks all for the moral support. I was pissed and just thinking of what to do when the manager called me 4 hrs. later saying that they had found it. Apparently, some smart mechanic took it off to get it to fit in the bay? They misplaced it. So I'm off tomorrow to pick up my baby. I sure hope it's the same one I had before!