Old 04-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Ashley, I escaped two feet of snow in my yard when I left for Ft Worth to buy "Goliath"! I thought I had it made....then, I encountered the never ending gale force winds in Kansas and Oklahoma....they were pretty hard to deal with ...on road and off.

I arrived back home last night. Good to sleep in my own bed. Wednesday, I will fly back to Ft Worth to drive "Goliath" back home. I think I might just try to avoid that last route in Ks and Ok.

Travel safely and enjoy! Evelyn.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:23 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, I know how excited you must be and am so thankful for your new adventure. I have pulled horse trailers several times from Dallas to Amarillo, to Raton, to Denver and that is a good road. I can not tell you that there will be no wind, as we have our share in Texas, but found that on my trip so far as well. Be careful on your way home and I will be thinking about you Wednesday. Vinny and Boomer say HI.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Ashley, I am considering that route.....Ft.Worth to Amarillo to Raton and north on I 25 to home. Not sure on the main hwys to take...and would like to avoid farm / ranch roads, when possible. As this will be my first ride in "Goliath"...I will prefer to be on well traveled routes with services available, I.e., gas, RV PARKS,etc. I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere.....just in case. Do you have suggestions?
Old 04-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, having traveled that several times, I would suggest 287 from Ft. Worth to Amarillo. 87 from Amarillo to Raton and then of course I-27 to Denver. Some would suggest that from Amarillo you would go through Boy's Ranch, Channing. That is a great drive, but in keeping with more traveled routes, would suggest from Amarillo, you take 87 north to Dumas and then it will turn west and take it all the way into Raton. Not a lot of places up there that could work on Goliath's engine but there is an Airstream dealer in Amarillo, Sizemore. He also owns an RV park on 87 just north of Amarillo. Don't know the quality of it but it is called Amarillo Best Wonderland RV-Might go online and check it if you are ready to call it a day when going through Amarillo. Take a look at Google Maps and see what you think. Now, Evelyn, just remember, if you go this way and it is wonderful, it was my idea. If it is not, I take no responsibility and I am somewhere I can not be found. HAHA.
Be careful.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Evelyn, don't forget to pay attention to temps when you get your Interstate back to Denver....you may need to winterize until the spring thaw.

Maggie
Old 04-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Thanks, Ashley. I will check out that route.

Maggie, I will keep that in mind. I think...I hope...we've seen the last of our harsh winter surprises, but, will definitely stay fine tuned to predicted weather patterns.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #63
Rivet Master

As most of you may know by now, my AI, "Goliath" is now home and parked in front of my home in Colorado! He is a beauty! Still much to learn and am working on it ...bit by bit. I hope to have it mostly in hand by the time I take my 1st trip in greenhorn boondocking school in mid June. For now, I'm concentrating on learning how and when to use solar, house electric, and / or generator to keep battery power up.

I've ordered from container store online, storage containers for Lenox porcelain dishes and crystal wine & brandy glasses. Now, deciding what I need to pack in, to leave for spur of the moment trips. Opinions will be helpful. Evelyn.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #64
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Certainly see you are several levels above me in the class category with dishes and crystal. I have always opted for plastic or light weight non breakable dishes, glasses, etc. Good idea to keep some staples in the pantry, Progresso makes some great soups. I keep a constant grocery list of things so I will not forget them, mark off those in the trailer/coach and have it at the ready if I get the urge to go. Then stop at a grocery on the way out of town and complete the list in a few minutes and then I am on the road. Do the same with clothes so I always have what I need regardless of the weather and temperature. These lists have been made over a long time and cover everything I will need, down to toothpicks and napkins. Lots to think about with your new coach and having to think about other things can get rather cumbersome. Best of luck.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #65
Rivet Master

GWT., I agree, Progresso is my choice. I like the low sodium chicken noodle and clam chowder. I do have a 'monster list' from trailering. I think it needs to be pared down....big time! I also will go with paper products when planning boondocking trips and leave nice glass ware at home on those types of trips,of course.