Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2016, 11:24 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
LoveToWander, and you also experienced our Orlando weather, didn't you?
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Go, if the dreams don't turn out the way I envisioned....then, I'll just go back to sleep...and redress them. Got to get the right outcome! LOL!

J&J, color me envious! Enjoy your new grown up toy. Where are you planning for your first fun trip? Welcome to the AIRSTREAM FORUM AND CONGRATULATIONS!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:14 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Lewster,
I am having them install a tire pressure monitoring system prior to my arrival at Vogt. Also asked for a full extra fuse kit.
I plan to put in a nice carpet runner when I get it home, plus...set of silverware, Lenox China and Waterford crystal wine and cognac glasses, a Keurig, Nutra-Ninja blender, Kitchen Aid toaster, Todd English cookware set, electric cooktop, an outdoor grill, a 4" foam mattress topper, linens, comforter, pillows.
That should personalize it well enough for me. Mostly like a luxury hotel on wheels, don't you think?!
Old 03-18-2016, 02:23 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Mr.B, thanks for the check list. I asked about the batteries and front end alignment. I plan to copy your suggestions and take with to check off on my walk through. I also want to video the demonstration as we go through everything, ( I told him I want to be proactive and actually DO procedures myself, not just listen to him talk about it). Hopefully I can get a good enough video/audio that I can refer back to it later. If so, this should save some phone calls to their service department later.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Very welcome Evelyn!

Front end wheel alignment is probably good, because it was made on the Mercedes Sprinter factory. What I mentioned was to check the wheel balancing. However, if they will check the alignment - it is not bad as well, because Mercedes dealer price for the wheel alignment of our coach is $475.

Also save this video, it is long enough and just right to get familiar with all and everything you need to know before your trip home to Denver:

https://www.airstream.com/comprehens...touring-coach/

Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #46
Rivet Master

MR. B,
Thank you soooo much! Just what I need. OK, I got it.....wheel alignment, I'll add that to my list. You guys are all so great....one of many reasons I love this forum. It's like having neighbors...only, several hundred miles away! And, as a bonus, it feels like I'm making new friends, as well. Hopefully, somewhere along our travels, some of us can meet up and share travel stories in person! Till then, thanks everyone.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Because there not so many Interstates nationwide, so not so many of us, it's owners, and we wanted to help each other.

Also, your cheerful personality plays its role
Old 03-19-2016, 05:58 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, been following your story. Sounds exciting, hope all goes great for you as you prepare to move to this next venture in your life. Thoughts are with you.
VinnyBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:15 PM   #49
Rivet Master

MR. B, reread my post this a.m....NOW, I've GOT IT! It is WHEEL BALANCING! (DUH!!) I guess I had a "brain f..t" last night! LOL! I viewed the video before bed, so, was getting a tad sleepy, when I posted.Yup, that's a good excuse!

Ashley, good to hear from you! How are you getting along with your new FC? Any chance you might be able to meet up with me before I leave with "Goliath"? Perhaps, April 1st? I will overnight there and leave at the "crack of crazy" next morning. PM me, and we'll chat...if it's possible. Having heard so much about you from your G, it would be nice to meet you in person. Till then....
Old 03-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, thank you for the invite. I have been packing Vinny and Boomer today. I plan to head west tomorrow or Monday, no specific place in mind. May hit southern New Mexico, Arizona and go up into Utah over the next several weeks. I think I have the hang of Boomer and pulling her. This is a big adventure for me and I look so forward to it, with a little trepidation. Have all of my safety things in good working order, except a dog that will have to come later. Take care of yourself and I am sure you will be hearing from me as I get on the road. Good luck with Goliath. Love that name.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Ashley, I'm glad you're getting out there. You're doing the right thing...pick a route, pack up and "saddle up" and just go for it? Good for you. Which is Vinny and which is boomer?

Do try to get your dog soon. A big dog with big teeth is a great travel companion....as well as a terrific deterrent to anyone with ill will.

Next week, I'll be heading toward your stomping grounds. I'll check in as I can get connections. Good luck, have fun, travel safely.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:58 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Very welcome Evelyn!

Front end wheel alignment is probably good, because it was made on the Mercedes Sprinter factory. What I mentioned was to check the wheel balancing. However, if they will check the alignment - it is not bad as well, because Mercedes dealer price for the wheel alignment of our coach is $475.

On a new Airstream Interstate the front end alignment is probably not good. The front alignment is set in the Mercedes factory for an empty van, which is OK. An empty Sprinter as shipped to Airstream weighs about 6,100 lbs. But then Airstream adds about 4,000 lbs. of stuff for the conversion to an Interstate. Airstream does not realign the front suspension after they add all that weight so most leave Airstream with a front end that will wear the outer edges of the front tires.

With a new van you should be able to get a Mercedes dealer to check the front alignment as a warranty item. If not you shouldn't have to pay $475 to get the front aligned. I paid $155 for my alignment when I replaced the original tires at Sun Motors, a Mercedes Sprinter dealer in Pennsylvania.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Mike you've got a deal there )))))

But it seems to me that my alignment is fine. Seven thousand miles now. Runs straight. Wheels look straight too. Will see the rubber later on ). Anyway thank you for your post, it sounds logic.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:07 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Mike you've got a deal there )))))

But it seems to me that my alignment is fine. Seven thousand miles now. Runs straight. Wheels look straight too. Will see the rubber later on ). Anyway thank you for your post, it sounds logic.
Keep an eye on the outer edge wear of your front tires. Mine started to show some unusual wear at about 10-15,000 miles. After some bad experience with a MB dealer in Baltimore I never got the alignment checked. They probably would have charged me over $400 and messed up the job anyway.

At 30,000 mile point had an inner dual tire got flat and damaged while on a road trip. Considered the same side outer dual also damaged since it was overloaded. That along with two front tires with unusual wear gave me four out of six tires damaged/worn just before I planned a long drive to Alaska. So I bought new Michelins and had the front end realigned.

Spoke to some expert Sprinter technicians at the Sprinter-East event a few years ago about the front end alignment issues of heavily loaded RV conversions. They told me that weight does effect front end alignment and when I get the van aligned make sure it was at normal weight with full tanks etc. I've also read about many others with same experience.

- - Mike
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Good advise. But I will wait for spending $475 for the wheel alignment, I will look to the front tires at about 10-15 thousand miles, as you say. Then I will see if I need alignment or not. Two front Michelins are cost $500 installed, so it is justified to wait.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, been reading your posts. Sounds like you are getting close to Ft. Worth. So happy for you. Been having a blast!! Time to settle in one spot for a couple of weeks, get Vinny serviced and check out Boomer. Have had no problems, thankfully. I have not, intentionally, been on the internet much, but catching up today. I can read the posts on my phone but do not like to type on a phone, never been one for texting, etc. Hate those keypads on a phone. Will look forward to reading your continued adventures. I was planning to head up toward Colorado last week but checked the weather and am glad I did not. Best of luck.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Ashley, I escaped two feet of snow in my yard when I left for Ft Worth to buy "Goliath"! I thought I had it made....then, I encountered the never ending gale force winds in Kansas and Oklahoma....they were pretty hard to deal with ...on road and off.

I arrived back home last night. Good to sleep in my own bed. Wednesday, I will fly back to Ft Worth to drive "Goliath" back home. I think I might just try to avoid that last route in Ks and Ok.

Travel safely and enjoy! Evelyn.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, I know how excited you must be and am so thankful for your new adventure. I have pulled horse trailers several times from Dallas to Amarillo, to Raton, to Denver and that is a good road. I can not tell you that there will be no wind, as we have our share in Texas, but found that on my trip so far as well. Be careful on your way home and I will be thinking about you Wednesday. Vinny and Boomer say HI.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Ashley, I am considering that route.....Ft.Worth to Amarillo to Raton and north on I 25 to home. Not sure on the main hwys to take...and would like to avoid farm / ranch roads, when possible. As this will be my first ride in "Goliath"...I will prefer to be on well traveled routes with services available, I.e., gas, RV PARKS,etc. I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere.....just in case. Do you have suggestions?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Somewhere , Texas
Evelyn, having traveled that several times, I would suggest 287 from Ft. Worth to Amarillo. 87 from Amarillo to Raton and then of course I-27 to Denver. Some would suggest that from Amarillo you would go through Boy's Ranch, Channing. That is a great drive, but in keeping with more traveled routes, would suggest from Amarillo, you take 87 north to Dumas and then it will turn west and take it all the way into Raton. Not a lot of places up there that could work on Goliath's engine but there is an Airstream dealer in Amarillo, Sizemore. He also owns an RV park on 87 just north of Amarillo. Don't know the quality of it but it is called Amarillo Best Wonderland RV-Might go online and check it if you are ready to call it a day when going through Amarillo. Take a look at Google Maps and see what you think. Now, Evelyn, just remember, if you go this way and it is wonderful, it was my idea. If it is not, I take no responsibility and I am somewhere I can not be found. HAHA.
Be careful.