Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #61
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
"Now do you have an AMERICAN made bike that you would recommend?"
Not sure I'd call it a recommendation since I haven't bought one from these guys, but you could check out AMERICAN MADE BMX.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #62
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc View Post
Folks, I ain't asking about Vespas...I am sure they are useful and practical for the right person..I have no qualms about them, a long time ago, I used to ride reguarly, and even raced motos (125 class) for two years...

But my question was is there any clear advantage to 'Motyho's' over trailers...and the answer seems to be no there isn't. It's almost totally personal choice...

But if I choose a Motorhome, a) it will be an Airstream, and b) there will be a toad, not a Vespa..(the Vespa idea was someone elses and she told me that almost two years ago, so even she may have changed her mind by now)but these days I'm a old coot with a back problem and can't walk that far, and can't take much pounding in the lower back area...(off road bikes are a lot of fun, but the suspension leaves much to be desired for the Mack V. 62...)
Mack,
It's ALL about personal choice. $ costs are virtually the same, unless you already own a heavy duty tow vehicle.
For me, my choice was an Airstream Classic motorhome. Took me 2 years to find my 'beast'. Turns out it was all of 3 1/2 miles away from me the whole time.
I couldn't see purchasing a F250 to drive 365 days a year just to tow a trailer a few times a year. Of course, same argument for having a motorhome sitting not being driven.
Love my Classic, hope to keep it running forever.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Sorry about the non-relevant Vespa momments. I owned a 36 ft sob mh. It really was convenient, but one had to be careful about clearances. I may have kept it but it was 25 years old and needed constant repairs, much like an old trailer. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If I had the money I would look for a nice later model AS MH. Of course I would have my Vespas on the back. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #65
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc View Post
I'm a old coot with a back problem and can't walk that far, and can't take much pounding in the lower back area.
I injured my back long ago, so I sympathize with you. There is better lumbar support in newer vehicles. Cushions on the seat can help too if the seats are too hard. MH's may not have such amenities.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
anywhere , Alabama
late response

We have the best of both worlds: an Airstream Trailer and an Airstream motorhome.

We work full time. My husband drives his TV to the train station every day and when we attend a rally, we use it to tow our 34 foot beauty. It is great to have all the space that our family wants and can host a few movie nights for the kids at rallies. I have a huge kitchen and lots iof storage space. Very big holding tanks, two ACs, etc.

Our motorhome is 25 feet and perfect! We drove it cross-country and it was great. We have smaller holding tanks but lots of room inside and tons of cabinets for storage. We have gone to restaurants for dinner, then driven it to the CG for the night. It is great for get-up and go situations. No need to tow a vehicle. As for groceries, we get what we need when we stop for fuel.

We find it that for shorter stays, it makes sense to have the motorhome and for longer stays, it makes sense to have the trailer.

I have to say that we had the trailer before we bought the motorhome.

Watch WDCU-ers have fun, visit www.wdcu.wbcci.net
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote