Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
"Wow, Wayneskid! While reading your first post, I'm thinking some youngster is writing. Then I read the last line & you're 70+. Way to go. I don't think I'd like traveling without a toad. But, I applaud you "

Thanks dowpells, Left to my own natural laziness I would no doubt do things differently but I'm lucky enough to have a wife/CFO that pushes me in a better direction.

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We, too, had a small motor home...so small, in fact, that towing a toad seemed silly...so we didn't. So when we were set up we were "trapped" unless we hitched a ride or broke camp... Now with the AS (still small), we have the flexibility we need and enjoy. We are able to tow with our everyday vehicle, too.. We also did not enjoy maintaining the engine, etc...with a trailer there's only one vehicle that needs engine maintenance. We have not looked back since getting the AS...

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I agree with all. Personally i'm not sure if one really is better, to each his own. We had a motorhome and loved it. Do you become land locked during the trip at campsites? Yes, but that is part of the adventure. Did we forget some stuff, yep, but we did without.

Having a trailer is different. It's hard to explain (other than it being an Airstream!). Having a seperate tv allows a lot of flexibility. Maybe a trailer is smaller and offers less creature comforts (really a washer and dryer? in MH's?), but in the end it's up to what the owner wants to do.
Yeah, I think that summarizes it well - if you're planning to just go and sit at the campsite for the weekend, a motorhome is excellent. I did this a couple times in the B190 and it was great.

That's a rarity for us - we usually use the camper as "home base" for exploring cities or nearby attractions or what have you.

A guy at a campground we were at once said he loves camping in a fifth wheel but traveling in a motorhome. I thought that was a pretty good summary too.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
"if you're planning to just go and sit at the campsite for the weekend, a motorhome is excellent"

Well, we're not doing much of that when we camp. The bikes get us where we want to go and we usually hold off on longer forays until we're ready to move on anyway. Washer and dryer? Not a chance! There wouldn't be a place to put them even if we wanted them which we defnintely DO NOT! I've never be able to get my head around the idea that getting away needs to involve bringing everything with you. Doing things small and compact give you a real break from everything going at at home and puts you closer to nature. If you're traveling in a small moho, you need to think of your camper like you might a small sail boat. Everything is pretty minimalist which suits us just fine. Besides, it's a fun challenge to find ways to conserve space. We look at any possible addition to the limited space and try to come up with something that can serve two or more purposes. It's surprising how often you can do that.
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 04-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #19
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc View Post
What are the advantages of a MH with a toad as opposed to a TV pulling a trailer?
I like trailers but will try to make the case for motorhomes.

The case for smaller motorhomes is based on the idea that it isn't necessary to pull a toad for many kinds of trips. A toad isn't necessary if you're only staying in each campsite a day or two at a time, or if you travel to places where some sort of transportation is available, or if you have willing drivers who can just drive the car, or if you travel to places where side transportation isn't relevant anyway because they're so remote you won't be leaving the site until ready to move on.

Without a toad, the main advantage of motorhomes is that it isn't necessary to hitch, unhitch, or back up a trailer. There are some people who are physically unable to hitch a trailer due to limited mobility. There are some people who don't believe they can learn how to back a trailer.

With a motorhome there is the possibility of towing a boat, a horse trailer, etc.

With a motorhome the coach is accessible without leaving the vehicle, which some people find convenient for access to soft drinks or the bathroom.

In general there are more seating positions for passengers in a motorhome than in most tow vehicles (especially pickups), and the seating positions are more spacious.

Motorhome advocates like to point out that a motorhome is no more expensive than the total combined purchase price of a trailer and tow vehicle.

In situations where there are no hookups or where hookups aren't necessary it is possible to arrive in or depart from a campsite without exiting the coach, which is a benefit in inclement weather or when safety risks are present.

A motorhome will have a shorter overall length than the combined length of a trailer and tow vehicle of equivalent useful interior size. This makes storage easier, and makes it easier to park in noncampground areas, either when getting groceries or spending a night at a friend's house.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Good points Jammer.

"In situations where there are no hookups or where hookups aren't necessary it is possible to arrive in or depart from a campsite without exiting the coach, which is a benefit in inclement weather or when safety risks are present."

Also, if you like to really get away from it, there are lots and lots of places to camp "unofficially". We find beautiful spots on some of the Forest Service roads in the lower 48. In AK this kind of opportunity is everywhere. Being small and self-contained, you can just pull off and in a matter of minutes you are enjoying some high quality peace and quiet. Plus, you've saved the cost of a camping fee.

Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have had our Interstate for 5 years and wouldn't do anything else.

We occasionally would like to have a separate vehicle, but really only on rare occasions. The extreme flexibility and economy afforded with the Interstate allow us to go and do what we want to do.

When we know we are going to be sightseeing, we put water in the holding tank and only have to deal with unhooking electricity to leave the campground.

Life is good.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Same as us when we had our interstate. When we went to see the sights we just unhooked the electric and went, knowing we had a campsite ready for the night. Drove that thing to work every day and out to Arizona and ohio. jim
Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Same as us when we had our interstate. When we went to see the sights we just unhooked the electric and went, knowing we had a campsite ready for the night. Drove that thing to work every day and out to Arizona and ohio. jim
Yep, the only way to go.

Maggie
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Everything is pretty minimalist which suits us just fine. Besides, it's a fun challenge to find ways to conserve space. We look at any possible addition to the limited space and try to come up with something that can serve two or more purposes. It's surprising how often you can do that.
Wayne[/QUOTE]

Wayne,
Would LOVE for you to start a thread telling us your 'additions' that do more than one thing while camping in your Interstate. Maybe others out there have other suggestions that all of us would appreciate.
Thanks, Derek
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I drool over your interstates and other motorhomes. Our regular van is the same size, an extended passenger van which tows our excella and also holds us and our seven kids. When all the kids are grown, I would love to have an interstate! It is very doubtful that I will ever be able to afford it, though!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
MH's have bigger water tanks than medium sized and small trailers. Sometimes that seems like a good idea.

Gene
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
I drool over your interstates and other motorhomes. Our regular van is the same size, an extended passenger van which tows our excella and also holds us and our seven kids. When all the kids are grown, I would love to have an interstate! It is very doubtful that I will ever be able to afford it, though!
Skatiero,
By the time the kids are grown, undoubtedly, there will be several used Interstates available at reasonable cost. My '89 retailed for over $130,000, bought it last August, 23 years old for $20K. Kind of a stretch for me right now, but figured why the heck not???
Thanks, Derek
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
"Would LOVE for you to start a thread telling us your 'additions' that do more than one thing while camping in your Interstate. Maybe others out there have other suggestions that all of us would appreciate.
Thanks, Derek "

Derek, I'm not ready to start a thread on this topic just yet. Part of the problem is that the Interstate in out of state in winter hibernation so I can't go look around in there to refresh my memory of what we've done. (I haven't seen our camper for seven months and after all I can barely remember what I did yesterday; but that is another problem ) Anyway, here is an example: we wanted a "night stand" to put between the twin beds at the head end (at the rear doors of the Sprinter) of the beds. I made a 2' X 2.5' rectangle of 1/4" birch plywood. I rounded the corners and edges and applied a couple of coats of satin Varathane. This "night stand" rests on the bed platforms and bridges the space between the two beds to hold wine glasses or whatever when we're in bed. When it isn't needed it slides under a mattress and disappears. Or, it can be left in place to hide the small Rubbermaid Action Packer that rides on the floor at that end of the beds. So double purpose; night stand or Action Packer cover. The Action Packer holds our small propane BBQ, the hose for hooking it to the Interstate propane supply plus a couple of grilling tools. The Action Packer is double purpose too; even if we aren't using the grill the box serves as a reasonable seat outside the van if we don't want to pull out the better folding chairs. This is just how we try to think about things we add. Space is SOOOO limited in an Interstate! But as I said, it's fun trying to find creative ways to use the limited space available.

Wayne

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!