Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2002, 09:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Smoke Detector

We were returning home today and the smoke detector in my 345 went off twice. There was no visable smoke in the coach. Any ideas?

FACTS:
I don't know how old the detector is.
It was not the dead battery beep.
We used the MH all day since 11:00am and it went off after 8:00p.m.
It's a standard home smoke detector not connected to any system.
I wasn't cooking.
We were driving on the Interstate.
A/C was on as it was most of the day.
It went off the day we looked at the coach to buy it and we chalked it off to too much exhaust in the coach since we had the door open and the engine exhaust is right near the door. It has not done this since then.

I was thinking about replacing the detector with a new one to ease my mind. If the same result happens, something must be up.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:29 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

Smoke detectors usally work by detecting a level of particulate matter in the air. If you were driving all day, ac on or even when you had the door open for a while the combo could have exceeded the detector's limit. My reccomedation is spend 10-15 bucks and get a new one. That is cheap piece of mind. How was the dry run? It sounds like yours was better than the folks with the argosy.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Dry run went pretty well. I did blow out the drain tubes before travel. A/C drained very good. It actually cooled down enough for us to cut it back to low cool. We used both front and rear A/C's. I did get a little water in the coach but it seems to happen while driving and not while stopped.

Engine ran well. No misfires! Thanks again for the spark plug wire tip. That was 100% right on. Temp ran 210-220 all day on a hot Florida day driving on black asphalt.

I put a thermometer in the fridge and Monique and I figured it would show the fridge running warm and we'd have another problem. WRONG. It was right on in the 37-40 degree range after only a few hours and the freezer was ice cold. I was running it on LP gas.

New magnetic latches worked great and the wardrode door stayed closed the entire trip even on the dirt roads with moderate potholes.

Generator ran all day - about nine hours. No problems. It even shut off quickly and quietly. For all the grief everyone gives the Kohler generators, mine runs pretty well. I do need to PM it. Someday I'll put in a new plug, filter, and synthetch oil.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I replaced it with a smoke/carbon monoxide detector with voice alert. We 'camped' for three nights in Destin and had no issues. I took the old unit down and looked inside. Yuck! I'm surprised the thing worked to begin with!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Thumbs up Re Fire Tec:

Hi All...
Must agree with Brett G on that one, REPLACE is best, I have some in my home, and one in particular kept on sounding off or pipping real fast, out of curiousity I took a peep inside, now my D/W smokes near this thing...say NO more...so I took it OUT of service, yes, it WAS a little greasy to say the least, these sensitive little circuits don't like it, BUT it DID do its job, so for the silly money I paid for it, it WAS worth every penny...after all...what's the point of having a DOG...if you got to do the BARKING yourself...LOL,
1985air345, You from florida, We're all coming to Orlando, for 21 nights in this nov/dec....How's the WEATHER...Chris.....
Old 08-31-2002, 12:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Fred- from my recent experience the generator service is a breeze to do. I wen to NAPA for the oil filter and used their cross reference chart to get one without having to go to the rv place. Save about 5 bucks on it, but also saved the 20 mile drive.
The synh oil at Wal mart was on sale as well so the whole service was very inexpensive. Mine started up even quicker than before with the new oil and stuff. Its an ONAN 4000 emerald.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I ran the gen set pretty hard this weekend in Jacksonville. I will be checking into the filters and putting in the synthetic oil. My issue is with the shutdown solinoid and the mechanism. It does not pull enough and the gen set sputters for a minute (litteral minute). I bet I ran it 20 hours in a 72 hour period. All in the hot sun running the A/C on high.

The local shop wants $65 per hour for work on the Kohler unit.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:57 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

Thatt 65.00 per hour sounds like the going rate. It is what I paid to the RV Place that did a full tune up on my gen set. I have changed to the syn oil, but I have no oil filter . I have looked in the book and also took the cover off that covers the spot where a filter would be. The only thing there is the oil pressure switch.

Oil and plugs are a DIY thing in my book, but servicing the three systems I leave to the Pros. That way if it gets broke worse they can fix it for free.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote