Old 08-07-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
single hole faucet for kitchen sink

The kitchen sink faucet has a slow leak. Started to take it apart to see if there's a washer to replace. Well it will not come apart. So I go to Home depo to buy a new one. An was suprised to see there are very few single hole faucets to choose from. The only one that did not look silly was $200. I'm not putting a $200 faucet in my camper.

What are you'all using? Still using the original? Is the original's washers replaceable? Found a good replacement?

thanks in advance for your reply.

Mike

Old 08-07-2004, 08:38 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I have used a few of the Moen single handle units with a pull out integral sprayer. IIRC they run approx 99.00 at Lowe's.

The inner cartridge will come out. You need to remove the C clip that retains the cartridge. Once you have pulled the clip, you can run the screw form the handle back in and use it to attain a pull point. The new cartridges are available at Lowe's or HD, just take the old one with you.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPM
The kitchen sink faucet has a slow leak. Started to take it apart to see if there's a washer to replace. Well it will not come apart. So I go to Home depo to buy a new one. An was suprised to see there are very few single hole faucets to choose from. The only one that did not look silly was $200. I'm not putting a $200 faucet in my camper.

What are you'all using? Still using the original? Is the original's washers replaceable? Found a good replacement?

thanks in advance for your reply.

Mike
Mike
Ran into the same problem when trying to find a replacement for the faucet in my 77 Safari. I found one at Sears Hardware, $29-$35?
The last place I ever would have quessed to find one. Perfect fit and looks original.
Found the paper work for the faucet, price was 37.99, by Exquisite. Removing two screws from the retainer removes the faucet from the plastic base..the faucet can then be mounted to the sink using the retainer and screws. The hole in the sink was out of round and did require a couple of file strokes for the faucet to fit.
Good luck, Dave ]
Old 08-07-2004, 08:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Faucet

Mike,

Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost certain I put a "single hole" faucet in my dad's '72 Argosy Trailer a few years ago. By "single hole" I'm assuming you mean both hot and cold pipes go thru a single hole in the sink even though they are still separate. They're simply both routed thru the center hole. The faucet was a Delta single lever standard household type. It can be had a most home centers for less than $100, if that's not over what you're willing to spend. I am sure other (and cheaper) faucets are designed the same way. Let us know what you find. Delta's faucet I used was a #481 which came with a spray attachment. If you don't want the sprayer, simply plug it and don't install that part. It's explained in the directions.

Good luck,

Noiva
Old 08-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Well, I had to remove the faucet from the RV to gett it apart. I'll look for some o rings tomorrow. Will have to get new sink drains as well; the old ones are cracked. No wonder I had dripping water under the sink. Will go to a real hardware store; I don't think the "box" stores will have everything I need.

Also installed the new CB, but not the antenna cables yet. Darn cable ends are preinstalled. Kinda hard to route a big connector thru a small cable hole in the side of the motorhome. So a visit to radio shack will be in order as well. Finnally finished the rear camera installation. Running a video cable from the front to the rear was rather interesting. It was easier to run the cable under the camper rather than thru it. Exited at the propane lines for the heater and entered the rear at the sewer drain.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi,
I went to the MOEN website which was the OEM for the 1981 Excella that I had prior to my current trailer and found a direct replacement for less than $ 45.00 at a plumbing supply store .Moen might have the parts you need for the repairs also. Also there is a model number on the back of your facet spout toward the base above the sink. You will need that number if you talk with a Moen rep. Davis
Old 08-08-2004, 09:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Juust replaced my Moen stems

Bought a 69 AS the shower faucet was partly dismantled. Took apart the kitchen faucet,bath sink faucet and shower faucet. The only place the Moen name appeared is in on the central stem in each faucet. I put all the parts and pieces in seperate plastic bags and went on the road. Loews and HD nothing. Finally went to Bell Plumbing supply in Denver. I put the bags on the counter while the clerk was on the phone. He turned around took one look and said "Moen, you'll need the retaining clips" Three faucets in the same camper, three different retaining clips. I had them in the next three minutes. Skip the box stores and go directly to a plumbing supply house. TAKE ALL THE PARTS WITH YOU!!!!! Good luck finding a clerk as knowledgeable as mine was.

Stagecoachbill

"The advantage of beating your head against the wall is when you stop"
Old 08-10-2004, 07:49 AM   #8
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
went to a real hardware store and the clerk recognized it as a moen, but the parts kit and cartrige were sold out. So we matched the o rings individually. I put it backtogether and it still leakd. Tossed it in the trash and bought a new faucet. I think the original moen was a bit too much on the cheap side, and a bit too far gone to actually repair.

thanks for the help!

Mike
Old 08-10-2004, 08:17 AM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I may be weighing in late but, you can buy the whole cartridge at Home depot for around 19 bucks.

I have replaced many of them. It is very easy to do. remove retainer clip, remove whole assembly, insert new cartridge, insert retaining clip, install trim insert, handle, screw,
Voila!

ten minute fix, works every time.

Smily