Old 03-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Went back and reviewed several threads under the topic of "Roadmaster Invisibrake" and read some things. Most of the ones I found were a few years old. Pro, I know you have that and am mainly interested if it still meets your expectations? How much do they have to do to the Interstate to get it ready to tow? Reason I am asking is I will buy the toad first, probably Jeep Wrangler and have it configured with the Invisibrake. Can any modifications they need to do to the Interstate be done later or do both units have to be at the installer at the same time?

Old 03-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #72
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Went back and reviewed several threads under the topic of "Roadmaster Invisibrake" and read some things. Most of the ones I found were a few years old. Pro, I know you have that and am mainly interested if it still meets your expectations?
I've got over 13,000 miles towing my toad, and I still have no complaints about the Invisibrake. Even in a panic stop, the toad doesn't significantly increase my stopping distance. One advantage of using the toad's own power brakes with the Invisibrake's vacuum pump instead of brute force to work the toad's brake pedal.
Quote:
How much do they have to do to the Interstate to get it ready to tow? Can any modifications they need to do to the Interstate be done later or do both units have to be at the installer at the same time?
That's another nice thing about the Invisibrake. It activates when the van's brake lights come on. No need to install a separate brake controller in the van. The only modification to the van that is required is to run a single separate wire from the umbilical socket at the hitch receiver to the dashboard, where an LED "idiot light" is installed to let you know whether the Invisibrake is working properly.

I had the car modified first, because while they were testing the installation of the supplemental brakes and lights they used one of the Interstates they had on the lot to test the systems; they didn't need my van. When I returned in my Interstate to pick up the car, they installed that one indicator wire, then retested the system using my van before I towed the car home.

By the way, if you look at the brake pedal on any automobile, the brake light contact switch activates slightly before the brakes themselves do. That gives the Invisibrake just enough lead time to activate the toad brakes simultaneously with the van's brakes.

If you ever want to activate the Invisibrake without activating the van's brakes, you can do that as well simply by turning on your four-way emergency flashers. That also activates the toad's brakes, independently of the van's brakes. But only do that to test the toad's brakes when you're moving very slowly; burning out the toad's brakes by trying to stop the van with them is not a smart thing. That also means you can never drive with your emergency flashers on while towing. But you're not supposed to anyway, despite the number of people I've seen drive with their flashers on when they're going slower than the flow of traffic.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Pro thank you so much. This really answers a lot of questions I had. Trying to figure the logistics of getting to an AS dealer for a coach, where ever that is, and having the toad ready to tow. You had mentioned in a previous post that you did not see a problem in driving the coach off the lot with a toad, assuming not straining the coach. My thoughts are to drive the toad to the dealer, I do not have one in my home town, check it out for a couple of days and then heading back home with the toad. Would plan to stay on non interstate highways, vary speed etc, and where I would be going, would probably have mainly flat highways. Being able to drive toad would give me the option of carrying enough items for a few days on the road. I trust your judgement so much more than I do most of the salesmen at the dealers. They want to make a sale and get you going. I liked the idea that ColoradoLady is going to be able to stay a few days on the dealers lot to check hers out.
The coach battery situation regarding how dealers treat the coaches while on their lots is also concerning and something I definitely want to check out.
Cant thank you enough.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Go, I asked Brant if they have plug in capabilities, and he said they'll have me fully covered. He said they'll take care of dumping the tanks on my Bambi, too. How nice is That?!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Evelyn, sounds like they are really taking care of you. Texas hospitality.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:55 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Go, I am familiar with Texas hospitality, much like southern hospitality, where I grew up, in Nashville, Tennessee. We were stationed (USAF) in San Antonio in the 70's, for 5 years. It is not like that everywhere.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
The top rated KOA camp is in San Antonio. Have not been there but would like to sometime just to see what makes that on so special in KOA terms.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Busy mapping out travel routes, searching for adequate motels, reading reviews, finally decided on two...for my trip back home in just Pathfinder. So, now, all reservations are complete for each of 4 way trip. A big hassle...time consuming, but, worth it for the savings!

Next trip I plan should be easier, given that I did the trial and error bit, twice with AAA,and their pathetic routing system...never again. Past recent years of travel have been in Colorado on routes I'm familiar with...so this has been a learning experience. Stepping outside my comfort zone....not so bad!
Old 03-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Does one have to use the pump to empty the gray water tank or will it gravity flow?
Old 03-22-2016, 08:59 PM   #80
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Does one have to use the pump to empty the gray water tank or will it gravity flow?
There is no bypass on an Interstate's macerator pump. So yes, you have to pump out the gray water.

Under ideal conditions the macerator pump has a flow rate of about 8 gallons per minute. Which means that your 17-gallon black tank will empty in just over 2 minutes, maybe 3 if there are a lot of solids for it to chew up first. Your 26-gallon gray tank will empty in just over 3 minutes.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:45 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks Pro. That is what I thought from everything I had seen but a salesman told me it would gravity flow and you could just leave it open. Wonder what else he told me that is not true? Glad I have this site to confirm.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Thanks Pro. That is what I thought from everything I had seen but a salesman told me it would gravity flow and you could just leave it open. Wonder what else he told me that is not true? Glad I have this site to confirm.

If the dealership sells other Sprinter based B-vans he is just confused as most don't have the macerator like the Interstate. Most have the old stinky slinky sewage drain system.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #83
Rivet Master

So glad I will never have to deal with the "stinky slinky" again! One of the many things I look forward to ....once I get my Interstate!

All my errands I had planned for today are in a holding pattern...due to spring blizzard we are experiencing today. So far, we have about 8 inches, and much more expected, perhaps up to 14 inches or more, total. YIKES!! Can't even see to end of my cul-de-sac! Our weather this spring is very fickle...it was 73 yesterday and a blizzard now!
Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
When buying a new Interstate (from an Airstream dealer) the dealer is obligated to provide an extensive knowledge walkthrough so you can use it right out of the dealership. But it's a lot to take in in one go, so you do have other options to get up to speed on everything. Here are two ideas:
A Kindle book from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Airstream-Life...eam+Interstate
A video on Youtube: