Old 03-11-2016, 06:33 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Disconnecting water, sewer, electric and retracting awnings to go for ice cream isn't attractive to me.
That being said, I know people who do just that.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:06 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, having a toad is purely a personal choice, but it's not what Interstates were meant for, or do best, IMO.

One needn't be hooked up to anything but electric, really....and, often, not even that.

No need to be hooksd up to sewer....you use the dump station or your site connection when the time comes.

In and out of tiny, out of the way sites...no problem. Park in a single parking space...no problem. In and out of off-the-beaten-path National Park and Forest sites...no problem.

Go where only small can go.....now that is the magic, and what it's all about...in my opinion.

Some need more, others need less....and, it's all okay.

Maggie

Old 03-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Yes the use of your Interstate is a personal choice. The stock Interstate now made by Airstream does require regular hook-up to electricity. This limits your camping options.
The trend in the B-van market is to allow more of the flexibility Maggie mentions above. I added more solar and bigger batteries to my Interstate, rather than trade up, because I tend to keep my vehicles for 15-20 years. For about $5,000 I made my van as capable as any of the newer options from Roadtrek, Winnebago or Advanced RV. I did it without loosing $10K's on depreciation.
I'm a happy camper😄

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:09 PM   #60
Rivet Master

I was pleased to learn that my new AI GT ext comes equipped with 100 watt solar panel on the roof. That should help in boondocking. Don't ride a bike, or pull a toad...(the pathfinder is over weight limit) and that's my daily driver. I'll try to do as Maggie does...do my major sightseeing enroute to locations. Seems like a workable plan to me. Thanks, Maggie.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Evelyn, this may be TMI so ignore all or parts of it. This will all make more sense when you look at a map. Vogt is located on 121 (Airport Freeway). Avoid the intersection of 121 and I-35W. Construction is making that a major traffic headache. If you are going to reach I 30, Beach street is a good route to take.

If you want to stay in the area for a few days to check out all the systems in your trailer before you head home, there is a really nice campground just to the west of Weatherford. Oakparkrvpark.com 817-594-0200
Old 03-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Thanks, Go, I'll keep that in mind. Actually, my sales agent invited me to stay o'nights at Vogt, so I can be handy for more instruction and questions, etc. Evelyn.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Have most of you put pressure monitors on all your tires on your coaches? Also, how did the stock tires work out? Did you replace them?
Old 03-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Have most of you put pressure monitors on all your tires on your coaches? Also, how did the stock tires work out? Did you replace them?

Yes I added a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS). I consider it an important safety system that Airstream should add. The Sprinter 3500 does not come from Mercedes with a TPMS, as required on most vehicles, because it is not required by the USA laws due to their GVWR and the dual rear wheels.

I only know one B-van builder that adds TPMS; it's Advanced RV.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 03-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #65
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I haven't gone to TPMS. Carrying an old-fashioned tire pressure gauge works just fine for me.

I'm still using the stock tires, and they're still going fine after four years. No uneven or excessive wear, no evidence of dry rot. I keep the tires balanced and properly inflated, and keep the front end aligned, but I don't rotate the tires.

By the wayŚ When your van is still brand-new and hardly out of the gift-wrap, take it to get a front end alignment done. Airstream doesn't align the front end on the assembly line, but all of the added wright of the conversion affects the Mercedes factory alignment for the worse. Honestly, all conversion vans should come with big stickers on the steering wheel to warn you that you need an alignment. People are too used to buying cars that are already aligned at the dealer so they don't think of it when buying from a third-party upfitter like Airstream.

In actuality, added weight in any vehicle affects the alignment; it's always aligned on the rack with no one sitting in it, so as soon as you strap the car to your butt to drive, your weight has changed the car's alignment. Only slightly, but it happens. With an Airstream Interstate, a lot of weight is added, and that weight is permanent. So the front end needs to be realigned for best results. Load up the van with everything you plan to carry on a regular basis before getting it aligned.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks Pro. Great suggestions
Old 03-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
No TPMS here. We do religiously check pressures every time prior to leaving on a trip, though. It's a line item on my departure checklist.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:19 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Will be interested in the updates when the new models are announced in May. Heard that there is a 6% price increase. Maybe they will add pressure monitors and ducted air.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
No TPMS here. We do religiously check pressures every time prior to leaving on a trip, though. It's a line item on my departure checklist.

I also checked my tires before every trip and at stops along the way. That's how I found the inner dual flat at a rest stop off the Interstate in Arkansas. The tire was fine when I started driving that morning. That tire had already split along side walls. I was just lucky it didn't separate from the rim and do damage. I could only assume I had also run the other tire on that side in an overloaded condition for at least an hour at highway speeds. If I had a TPMS then I would have gotten an immediate warning when the tire went flat. Then I could have stopped and prevented any damage to my tires.

Even with TPMS I do a quick check of my tires each day before starting a trip.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 03-13-2016, 02:24 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
We bought a 2011 Interstate this fall with very low mileage which was an indicator that it had been parked for most of its life. We replaced the tires because tires that sit still for long periods scare me. Went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S in rear and XPS ribs in front. The Michelin XPS Ribs are slightly smaller and have a shorter sidewall to help a little with wind handling but downside is it's not a good cold weather tire. Since you are buying new, I would get an alignment like others have mentioned after filling up all the water and fuel tanks and keep the Contis unless you hate the van's handling. The Michelins are definitely a better tire than stock tires and there are several posts with reports of improved handling with the LTXs. Regardless of whether you keep the stock tires, I recommend getting the Duallyvalve valve extenders and a tire pressure monitoring system (STS is a good brand but there are others).