Old 03-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
Also want to say the standard A/S towing is 6400 pounds. The EXT is 4200. Quite a difference.

Old 03-08-2016, 12:55 AM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrinn View Post
I advise driving the Interstate for a while before making a decision on towing.
I second that advice! I had my Interstate for 11 months before I bought my toad, and it was another 2 months before I decided on a Roadmaster towing package.

I carried a bike for a while that first year, but my deplorable level of athleticism (i.e. mobility impairment due to foot surgery gone wrong) made me realize that I just didn't have the range on a bike anymore to go where I wanted to go, which partly influenced my decision to get a toad. However, the other part of my decision had to do with hurricane season. My Interstate wasn't my only vehicle, and when you live alone, you can't evacuate two vehicles when a storm comes unless you tow one of them. So having a toad instead of a non-towable daily driver meant that when I evacuate I can take both vehicles with me instead of offering one up as a pagan sacrifice to appease a vengeful Mother Nature. So for me, whether it was economical for camping or not, I was definitely going to have a toad eventually for bug-out purposes.

The rental car idea is actually not bad, either, at least for the time being. Enterprise should pick you up at the campground when you want to rent one, provided you're not too far past the far edge of nowhere. If you only need a car very seldom, a rental as-needed might be a permanent plan. But if you need one very often, that fact will tell you that it might be worth getting a toad after all.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We downsized from a Class A to an Interstate and love it.
All the things we REALLY need fit in the Class B fine. When i cleaned out the Class A, i couldn't believe how many things were hidden away and never used. Even now, we only wear about half the clothes we bring.

We travel much more because it is so convenient to jump in and go. We actually prefer it as our daily driver and would drive it all the time if we didn't live in snow country.

We find it to be quite comfortable and put 10K miles on it last season (which for us is May to Oct) and most were local campouts It is a blast and is my much preferred way of travel. The dog loves it too!

Good luck in your decision.
Kate
Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
The amount of knowledge expressed here is amazing. I thought the same thing as you are expressing, drive the thing for a while and see what naturally follows. In considering my camping wishes, i plan to be out for several weeks at a time, back to base camp for a week and then out on the road again. I really thing the coach would work for me, and the ease of moving around would be much better. Should be able to have about everything i need with me. I know i will need a vehicle soon but that will wait for a while. Having considered all said here, i do think the toad would be the best option and get it strictly for the road, go ahead and have it fully configured and decked out for lights, towing, etc. More than likely, it will be used 95 % of the time tied on and other drive needs when back home another vehicle. Probably get rid of some other vehicles. I have one front wheel drive capable of a tow dolly now, but will trade it for a four down. Am I rambling here? Sounds like it and I am the one writing it. All of you folks should start a consulting company with all of your experience. Going tomorrow for a look, probably only come away more confused but if I was not thinking about all of this, would probably be sitting around doing nothing and my mind vegetating. Thanks all.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #33

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
In considering my camping wishes, i plan to be out for several weeks at a time, back to base camp for a week and then out on the road again.
If your time on the road will be something along the lines of: stay somewhere a day or two, move on, stay a day or two, move on, repeat until ready to go home, then you may never need a toad. You'll never have to break camp just to make a grocery or laundry run, because you'd be breaking camp to move on to the next campsite anyway and could attend to all your other errands before checking in at the next place.

On the other hand, if you'll spend a couple of weeks in one place before moving on to the next, a toad will prove to be more useful. Having to break camp to make a grocery run, then return to the same campsite you just left and set up again will get old pretty quick. The toad lets you run errands without breaking camp.

Ditto if your camping style is, camp somewhere central and then go exploring the attractions around the area each day and return to camp for the night, you'd find a toad more useful. Again, breaking camp on an almost daily basis to go do something only to return to the same campsite and set up camp again for the night gets really old really fast. The toad lets you take day trips from camp without breaking camp to do it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
My style would be camp for a day or several but go out each day somewhere, even if just sightseeing. I believe the toad would be ideal for me. Will probably take a few short trips just to get the feel of the coach, make sure everything works, and then zero in on what to pull. Will be looking for fishing opportunities most places I go so would need the flexibility of a toad.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Welcome to Air Forums, Go. Your tile doesn't say where in Texas you are, and I'm curious as to where you are thinking of buying. I'm in greater Houston and the selection of new Interstates for sale here is extremely limited on a perpetual basis. I don't think there was a single GT that made it into anyone's inventory here last year; I did read one local buyer's account of heading to another state to make a GT purchase. PPL doesn't have any in stock right now and have not for months (according to their website). The only ones I've seen lately are maybe a half-dozen at the Katy dealers (per capita this is about one for every million residents), and I don't know what their floor plans are. I don't know what the rest of the state is like, supply-wise, but hopefully your accessible options are good.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:08 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
I am actually looking in about 6 different states, including Texas. Have also talked to Colonial in New Jersey and if that was the only option, would fly up there and drive it back.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Don't know if anyone has mentioned these or not. If I were buying again I would have the dealer make the dually valve stems as part of the deal. (not extensions but replace the stems)

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...ly-valve-dl1sp

I was able to get them cheaper at my local Camping World store than what is reflected at the above link. I had Camping World install them but would not do that again they were expensive. I would go to a tire service center. If you ever decide to put on a TPMS (tire management system) then you would want these stems.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #38

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
I am actually looking in about 6 different states, including Texas. Have also talked to Colonial in New Jersey and if that was the only option, would fly up there and drive it back.
Foley RV in Gulfport, MS is closer, and good people to deal with. That's where I bought mine and where I've had all of my work done. Not counting work on the MB side, of course.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 03-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #39

1972 27' Overlander
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Shores , Alabama
If you do decide to go with the interstate I have a 2015 Mercedes Grand Tour that I would take a big loss on. I absolutely love it but circumstances have changed. 4,000 gentle miles, as new. $115000. It is just FINE!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Protag, I have been looking at Foley. They seem to have a decent inventory. Gypsy, thanks
for the offer. If I pull the trigger on this will buy new. The more I think about this, the coach is the way I am going. Kind of wonder if they will make any major changes in the 2017 model. I pulled travel trailers all over America and thinking about those days, which I loved, and the ease of the coach, don't know why I waited so long to investigate that possibility. Probably old age taking over. That older age is another reason the coach is so attractive. Spend it instead of leaving to the grand kids, but will let them ride in it.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Another question. Do you have to be concerned about toad sway the same way you have to be concerned about trailer sway?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #42

1972 27' Overlander
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Shores , Alabama
It's just me and the pup so pretty perfect size wise. I'm pretty good at packing exactly what I may need so I never have to leave camp to go to the store. It's quite comfy but I did add a foam mattress to the queen bed