Old 03-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prince William, , Virginia
Protagonist is right on. Camping good for two and no more. Have used as long distance limo to and from Disney with two drivers, two adults and two kids in rear - no sober adult in rear for any length of time. Have found parking difficult in beach towns during summer for our extended version. Very easy to drive even at rev limit. Great diesel mileage.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Everything that Protag said with this additional comment: My husband is 6'4" and 250 pounds. We have the 2016 twin bed model and he is comfortable inside. Yes, we've had to learn how to "dance" a bit, and he prefers to use the campground shower, but we've spent two weeks straight in ours traveling all over Wisconsin and loved every minute of it.

Now, that said, we did keep our 31' classic. We use them both - the Interstate when we want to be on the move daily (like 9 different campsites in 15 days in Wisconsin), and the classic when we want to sit in one place for a while. We don't regret one minute of buying the Interstate and keeping both.

WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
I bought a new 2015 and have owned it for more than a year now. I actually DID achieve 22 miles per gallon during long distance travel.
We have the extended Gran Tour Model. Its fine for 2 people ONLY! It is a dream to drive. I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to drive it from
Florida to Alaska. We are over 70 yrs old and this is our 8th RV! Each one gets a little smaller for us, and that's the way we like it!
Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your taking some time to help inform me. I am liking the idea of the coach, but don't know what bug may bite me tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Making a wrong choice can be an expensive mistake. We first bought a new 19' Bambi which I liked a lot, but it didn't suit our traveling style: we don't usually stay in campsites for days, we like to keep moving and see things and visit people - and do a lot of dry camping. So we sold it for a new Airstream which we much prefer.
If we were doing it all over again today, I would get a new Grand Tour with the twin bed option - we don't need the additional seating capacity like you, and the twin beds are more comfortable than the sofa. I hope you have the chance to look at a twin bed model.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Most "stock" Sprinter Class B's are not great for going off grid for more than a weekend (There are a few like RT ETrek and ARV that are). As Boxster said, you can spend $$$$ to upgrade the solar and batteries for real boondocking capability. There are many folks on the Airforums that enjoy extended Class B camping (but you need to be single or have a strong marriage).
The strength of Sprinter Class B's lies in short touring, tailgating, and long road trips where you may want to sleep overnight in a parking lot on your way to the condo or campsite with full hookups.
The Sprinters drive great with two exceptions: due to vehicle profile, windy conditions over 20mph will require more attentive driving and high winds will be no fun at all (especially on bridges, overpasses etc. you'll need to slow down). Semi trucks will also cause buffeting when in close proximity. MB recently came out with a "Wind Assist" system that applies the individual brakes to help the van in high winds. I have not heard any reviews on how well it works.
The other ride issue is if you plan on having anyone ride or sleep in in rear (yes, a bad idea but it happens), get a model that has the rear airbag option. According to those who have it, your passengers will thank you for paying the extra 8-10K.
We have only had our AI bus for half a year but we have really enjoyed it. You will too.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:40 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
I have a 2015 Grand Tour Ext. Me, the wife and two cats travel comfortably. We bought new and there were some small warranty items that had to be taken care of but other than those everything has worked as expected. Ours only has a microwave, not one with the convection oven wished that could have been different. Also, if you plan on boondocking then plan on upgrading the coach batteries. There are several discussions in the Sprinter forum section.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
One thing I would suggest is to consult well with your significant other if you have one! If not, ignore the following!

We have a Classic 30 that we have owned and enjoyed for the last 8 years - and still do.

But as we get up in years, I have thought quite a bit about a possible change in camping style to a Class B.

I am pretty well aware of all the major pros and cons.

My reasons are several .........

- Less physical effort involved dealing with hitches etc., as well as easier to handle.

- In the even I should have any sort of medical problem on the road, my wife could drive it - she will never consider driving our truck with the trailer attached although she does use the truck as a daily driver.

- I could park the class B in our drive. I presently store the trailer 15 miles away in a storage yard for $1000 a year. Apart from the expense, it makes it hard for me to look after it as well as I would like. I do enjoy taking care of our "Toys!"

- I think we would make more use out of it for short trips, especially as it would be parked at the house. We never consider using the trailer for trips less than a week or two.

We have looked at just about every one on the market over the last few years but my wife remains unconvinced and always returns to the space limitation issue.

My argument has been that we will adapt a different lifestyle - ie we'll use the B for shorter trips, say a week or so, but for our annual winter getaway - usually 7-8 weeks - we will use it to travel, then rent a furnished condo wherever we wind up.

Seems there is no convincing her! I know if I really out my foot down, she would see how serious I was and agree - but I also know that I'd never hear the end of complaints about it after the fact - so i suppose it won't happen!

I guess I'll save my $$ and use the good old Classic 30 until I figure it is too much for me, then just call it quits for RV's and take cruises / package holidays instead!

How things have changed over the years - at one time we camped very happily together with our two daughters in a 1970 VW Westphalia! It seemed all we needed then!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
Like Protag, I have a 2012 A/S Interstate. Have 52k miles. Just wife, small dog and me. Ours is not an EXT. Chose not to buy EXT because the tow weight and hitch weight is quite a bit less. For the 2 feet on the EXT you pay a lot of $$, when a Stowaway2 has lots of cargo room, can be washed out and does not interfere with the back door openings.

We golf and find it easy to take to the course, keep dog inside, and even clean up before going out. It is also easier to take to visit friends in Florida and elsewhere as it fits in their driveway and normally allowed in gated communities. The Class B is also great for off the highway trips to see the sites, as this is more awkward for longer vehicles and many times for trailers unless you part and unhitch and then drive around.

We have a 3 captain chair floorplan which has a wardrobe closet. There is enough space behind the driver's side for a two bag golf rack that I use a lot. We sleep in sometimes during warm season and have figured out how to do a "flex bed" version of the queen bed, so we can get in and out in the middle of the bed. Some others on this forum have done the same.

Upgrades for me have been a Koni suspension front/rear with helper springs and a Roadmaster sway bar. Also, put dura bright alcoa wheels as the 2012 was not available, and changed out the Kenwood for a Pioneer sat/gps. I also have Sprinter specific insulated sun shades for windshield and side windows that go on easy and double as a privacy shade when needed. Others on this forum have done upgrades as well.

If you are going for a new one, get ready for sticker shock (my opinion) and only the EXT version. 20k for a diesel, is the initial break in, not like a gas engine. I get 20 mpg consistently. The EXT gets a bit less, I am told by other users. For your price comparison buying new vs. used, here is a personal example. I would list my 2012 privately (not a trade in) for $92,000. It has a couple hundred thousand miles left easily. You can find used on rvtrader in this range and more. I advise you research a bit, if not done already. I own a VW diesel with 154k and not a lick of problems. Diesel engines are more pricey but generally last longer. Let me know if you would like to talk further and I will send you my contact on a private post.

Sounds like you a a "solo" Rver. I believe your thinking is right on to consider a Class B, for the kind of use you will need, based on what you have said. Enjoy your new lifestyle adventures. Carpe Diem.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Good thoughts all. gkrinn, you also make a lot of sense. I will go ahead and pull the trigger and buy new. Have been looking at towing a smaller vehicle behind and looks like four down is the preferred tow. Want to make that hookup as easy as possible. Have a friend with a Class A and he pulls a cherokee so am planning a lot of info from him. That would be too big for me but the Wrangler looks good. Mind is running a thousand miles an hour. Been researching this non stop. Anyone have suggestions on the toad, please chime in. I need to stay below 4200 pounds. Appreciate all the thoughts. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Have been looking at towing a smaller vehicle behind and looks like four down is the preferred tow.
That doesn't necessarily mean it's best for you.

Dolly towing means that you only have two brakes stopping your toad instead of four, and it means extra weight being towed as well as actual tongue weight on your hitch. And you have to store the dolly somewhere when not using it. Not necessarily a problem at home, but sometimes a problem at campsites. But it also means you don't have to modify your your toad at all. The toad remains 100% stock and so holds more of its resale value. And as car models get new transmissions to meet Federal mileage requirements, there are fewer and fewer towable car models every year. Not one single towable Honda anymore, for example. The last towable Honda was the 2014 CR-V.

Also, if your family has more than one daily driver that you'd like to use as a toad, you only need one dolly instead of modifying each car individually. (Note that here I'm speaking about "you" in general as advice to anyone who reads this thread later, not necessarily "you" in particular.)

If you have— or plan to buy— a car that can be towed four-down, and you plan to keep it for a while, then modifying the car with towbar baseplates, supplemental brakes, and supplemental lights might be a good option.

Don't go by what's preferred by others. Decide what best serves your particular situation, and go by what's best for you.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I think trailers are best for destination trips where you stay at a place for days or weeks at a time. For touring / sightseeing trips a motor home is best. A smaller rig like an Interstate seems like it would let you skip taking a towd and use a bicycle or moped if you were moving around a lot. I'm waiting for people to use more Volts and Prius's as towds and having the drive batteries set up for boon docking power!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:41 PM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
I'm waiting for people to use more Volts and Prius's as towds and having the drive batteries set up for boon docking power!
The Chevy Volt was definitely not towable 4-down as of the 2013 model year. I checked back when I was shopping for a toad before I bought my Honda Fit. I don't know about other model years, though.

I've never heard of the Prius being towable for any model year and I've never seen it listed in the annual Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guide.

Except for the Ford C-MAX, most of the towables back in late 2012-early 2013 were American-brand 4WD SUV Hybrids, because the transfer case could be put in Neutral just like with the gasoline-only models.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Lake Geneva , Wisconsin
Protag is right to use a towing guide from an RV mag or elsewhere on line. Just do a search. Might have to pay a small fee. I researched some time ago and decided not to tow any vehicle for now. You cannot back up a dolly like a trailer. It is almost impossible. So be careful on this choice. The towing set up for a flat tow can get pricey as there can be some permanent mechanical attaching to the car and there is the lighting and surge brake mechanism for the car required in many states in order to tow a vehicle. We use scooters on a trailer or hitch ramp. Can do a motorcycle as well. When we have needed a car, we rent one near where we are staying. This is easy and cheaper, in my opinion for the times you need it. But, going "solo" that may not be practical. All this stuff makes my head spin as well. I advise driving the Interstate for a while before making a decision on towing.