Old 07-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #1
Should I buy an Airstream Land Yacht?

I am new to the this forum, but thought I would ask my question to those who should know.

I am searching for another motorhome (currently own a 91' Fleetwood Flair) and after researching numerous models have found the 1992 -1998 Land Yacht's to be a strong overall choice which are also within our budget.

However, I have read posts (other forums) which talk about all of the problems with this coach. Freighliner recalls, Airstream recalls and NTSA recalls. Additionally, talk of frame to body separation, weak supports on water tanks, etc. etc. Can all of this be so?

I guess I'm looking for some confirmation from some of you who own these motorhomes that they are well-built and are worthy of an investment. I realize that, perhaps, responses may be bias; however, I also know that personal experience with a motorhome is really the only way to know its strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Phillip C. Wise
Joplin, MO
Wiseacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:28 PM   #2
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I do not own one, but I have heard the horror stories that you reference. Many of the older Land Yachts leak around the front windows.

There are members of the forum that have them, so you should be able to get it from an actual owner.

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 11:55 AM   #3
We bought a 2000 36 foot diesel pusher in 2002. It was a new left over model. We have had it about 15 months and have put about 16K miles on it. We had very few problems with it. One was the dash AC which was fixed and a few other minor things. All in all, I'd buy another one. It is a very nice MH. The only complaint I have is that it's hard to find AS dealerships. I have heard that the older Land Yachts were a bit of a problem but I am not sure what is meant by "older" ...

2000 Land Yacht XL
jberndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 08:31 AM   #4
Thanks for the input guys. It seems dash air is a problem with almost all motorhomes unless the components have been upgraded.

I plan to look at 5 LY in my area within the next couple of weeks and have already been told, in conversation with one dealer, that the coach has a leak at the bottom of the passenger side window. I'm really not overly concerned with the little problems that almost all motohomes have; it is the recall issues and potential coach to chassis separation problems that concern me.

Also, any thoughts on the LY quality of interior construction (cabinets, carpet/flooring, etc.)? Some have told me they felt this was of a higher grade than most gas MH.

If anyone else would like to add .02 cents before I go out looking, I would be interested!

Thanks again,
Phillip C. Wise
Joplin, MO
Wiseacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 07:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1995 33' Land Yacht
Lubbock , Texas
1995 Land Yacht has been great

I bought a 1995 Land Yacht that is in like new condition. I have had no problems with it at all. knock on wood.

Good Luck
Scotta - 1995 Land Yacht 33' , Chevy 454, Banks Power System, Bilstein Shocks, Safe Steer Stabilizer, 2004 Land Rover Discovery.
scotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Cutter diesels

Wewere one of the unfortunate owners of Coach #710622, It suffered from water tank falling down onto the axle. It had slide room problems, it had body to frame separation. It had an annoying screech of the entry door that I fixed temporarily by wrapping electircal tape around the door post to keep it quiet.
In the end, the frame supports that held up the rear of the coach had broken and the end cap was beginning to sag.
I hate to bad mouth anything, but......We had this unit for 11 1/2 months, which included a trip to the factory May of 2000. We traded it in and gave up. The next owner, who we now know, had it only 5 months and suffered further problems, and some we never even knew about.
This particular coach was the epitome of all you have heard and read. Newer ones maybe better. But on other forums we subscribe to , I tell anyone who is looking at a 1999 35 ft Cutter Diesel airstream to RUN, not walk away from it. Sorry.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:15 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via AIM to John Brimer
Hey Coloradobus,
I have a 1999 Cutter Diesel Pusher, purchased new in 1999. I had the same problem with the water tank--took out my brakes!
Got a recall in the mail one year later.

Had overheating problems for two years. Found the problem. The engine blowbye tube from the valve cover allows oil to be deposited on the intercooler and radiator. Fixed that problem. Received a Freightliner recall notice too late!

Had electrical problems dealer could not find. Found them myself.

I now have 77,000 miles on the coach with few problems. If I could sell it for over $120,000, (not likely) I would. Otherwise, I have fixed all the known problems (inspected the frame and reinforced) and will keep the unit. It is very pretty and easy to drive.

Happy camping.
John Brimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:33 AM   #8
I am selling my 1994 Land Yatch legacy. I have had none of the
problems you mention. It is a great coach, new brakes, new exhaust manifolds, and 73K . Runs great. No leaks, no problems, and lots of places visited. Will send pics if anyone is interested.

John and Chris
1994 Airstream legacy 34'
1994 S-10 toad
fishmanjc is offline   Reply With Quote