Old 11-06-2002, 01:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England

Hi all...
Just wondering, how do YOU service your vehicles, do you take them off the road, and totaly run through everything, or do you get into a routine and check out different parts day by day, can you get the parts you need easily or are you struggling, so things only get repaired when it has reached the point of about the cost of parts, do you think you pay far too much, for owning a rare vehicle, I know for a fact, that I pay a little more for the same (ish) part for my car, than my D/D does with hers, as mine was a German conversion import, and hers is a standard Euro import, ( made for the UK )...
I know you ALL look after your vehicles, I don't mean to sound as though you neglect them, I am just being
Thank you for a GREAT forum...Chris.....

It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas

Both my vehicles compute the remaining life of the crankcase oil. I change oil at about 25% useful life remaining. This is a lot better than changine oil at specific mileages since it is computed from the actual engine parameters such as cold starts.

I go in and have the brakes checked for wear at about 30K miles. Tires and wiper blades, I keep an eye on myself, and they are checked for useful tread life at the yearly inspection. Soark plugs transmission oil, rear end, and hubs at the manufacturer's specified mileages.

Not much more to do on a modern day vehicle.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England
Not all bad then...

Say John,
Sounds not too bad, I guess it's like me then, I too like to keep my eyes on things, and sort it b4 it gets bad, just common sense I guess...what's the prices like for Yr parts ?, do U have a local place or do U struggle to get bits...
Have a good day, ...Chris.....
Old 11-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I just inspected and repacked the front wheel bearings on my wife's minivan. She was complaining about front brakes squeaking so I pulled the wheels and saw that I still had enough pads for at least 2,000 miles. I decided to pull the caliphers and replace the brakes anyway. As I pulled the pads out of the calipher on the driver's side, the mounting plate fell apart. There was one piece of thin metal and then a thicker piece bonded to the pad. They seperated. The same thing happened on the other side. Apparently the pads were not retracting all the way and were slightly rubbing on the disc rotor. No damage to the rotor. I usually don't check front pads until the wear indicator makes contact with the rotor making a squealing sound. I've never had a pr. of pads fall apart though. I check rear brake shoes after every other front pad installation and replace as needed.

I run synthetic oil and change every 4,000 miles. Every 2 yrs. I change antifreeze and if I have the extra money at the time I change radiator hoses and fan belt. I grease all zerks a couple times a year. I have an '01 truck and changed the rear gear lube with Amsoil synthetic after 3,000 miles (appx. 600 miles of towing). I do all of this myself.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 11:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England

Way back in early '70, when I got my 1st apology of a was a ford zephur 4 mk.3...'63 model, it had a 1703cc engine, 'fraid she used more OIL than petrol, the handbrake was a under dash pull affair, it broke, cost me 5.00, to get fixed, I only earned 7.00 a week...what a blow that was, so U c, I soon learned " How to " I are NOT affraid to tackle any problems at all, When I repair my brakes, I ALWAYS go 2my local garage, and for the same cost of 5.00, the garage Guy checks out the repair and get a roller brake test, as by MOT law...I do kn the guy, and he IS keen too...
So when I hear of Guys at my work sayin the car cost them so-an-so ...AGN...I think...well U don't wanna kn...Admitedly there are times when I did'nt like to tackle the JOB, so farmed it out to my pals Dad, same job as garage...1/5th of the cost...
So to ALL U guys, well done, I would'nt stand a chance repairing one of those M/H of
Happy Motoring...Chris.....
....If U break down, I may stop for you, I might NOT be able to HELP you...but it's NICE to know You are NOT alone...lmao.....
Old 11-12-2002, 11:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
My Airstream is older (1982)than John's so I change the oil every 3000 or so miles, doing it myself in the driveway. Its easy to change it and the filter. I have had it lubricated at the RV shop, but I might go ahead and buy a grease gun and do it whenever I feel like it.
I did an engine tune-up, cleaned the carburetor, serviced the transmission,and changed the oil and plugs on my generator. These are the maintenance items, besides the repairs I have had to do to keep it all working, and thats just on the chassis equipment....then you get to the coach parts like the water heater, and tanks, the furnace, the roof air, and on and on.

It is enjoyable for me, ( I must be crazy )

But it also makes service more affordable for us, and lets me know who to blame if something is done wrong.
I the feeling of knowing I fixed something, especially when it was a puzzle at first.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master
I repair all systems on our motorhome myself. Parts for the chassis (engine, frame, suspension, tranny) are really inexpensive for my 1979 MH from a local auto parts store...they are actually cheaper for the MH than for my wife's 1994 Honda Odessey van or my 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 PU.

I change oil and lube every 2500 miles give or take depending on where and how we drove them. Also perform full undercarriage inspection (steering, suspension, drive train, leaks or drips) at every oil change. Inspect brake system and bearings yearly.

I do only use the MH for weekend camping, not fulltime.

I enjoy "tinkering" with the MH and this winter hope to pull the 454 and completely rebuild and dress the engine up a bit. While out I need to repair the dash air which blew the clutch off last summer after a retofit to R-134...(had a "friend" said he could do it for me) ...don't do it the pressures are different which he didn't account for I guess.

That's the fun of owning a vinage MH!!!

zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote