Old 07-30-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Seeking information on older AS motorhomes. . .

We are a pair of longtime Airstream admirers who are very curious but in the dark about a particular kind of AS. On just a couple of occasions, we have seen very classy and classic looking AS motorhomes that look nothing like the current AS line being produced. The units we have glimpsed have all the appearance of the classic AS travel trailer, but they are selfcontained motorhomes. We love that vintage look. We also are looking forward in near retirement to moving up from our current tt (Coleman Caravan) to a motorhome. We suspect that we might be really interested in one of these 'mystery' motorhomes if we knew more about them or could see one. So. . .how do we learn about them? Can anyone on this forum give us some information about these? What are they called? When were they made? Where does one find one? How much more complicated is an older AS motorhome compared to a travel trailer? How do you determine condition (trailer as well as hauling components)? Help, please! And thanks so much in advance! By the way, our last glimpse of one of these motorhomeswas just a couple of weeks ago: we saw one set up on a piece of land along I35 just east of Brookfield, Missouri, with a For Sale sign.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the Airstream Classic Motorhomes are what you are talking about, go to Fred Hinds web site to see abou them. Click on 1985air345 to find his web address.....many of us on this site own these and love them!!

Old 07-30-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Welcome to the forum!

You have just been bittten by the aluminumitus bug

Here is a link that should help

http://www.geocities.com/fredhinds/a...airstream.html

The site designed is a forum member.

They are called Classic Airstream motor homes, Built from 1979 to 1993/4. there were painted version pre 79 but they were called Argosy. They are no more complicated than keeping a tow vehicle maintained, and learning a few new skills. Like Air Bag Maint, Genset Maint., and dealing with a 6 or 8 tire vehicle.

I have had both and love the Motorhome. Good luck in your quest
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
cracks me up Brett and I answered at almost the same time, and with similiar info....great minds think alike...
Old 07-30-2003, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
A little information may prove to be a. . .

dangerous thing! Thanks so much for your quick responses to my questions about the "mystery" AS motorhomes. I almost hesitate now to type in the Fred Hines site because, while I know we have been bitten with the AS "disease," I also know that this information won't be an antidote to cure us! Nevertheless, for years we've wondered and watched; now this forum has given us an opportunity to learn about these. Ok, here I go. . .thanks again! --Georgia
Old 07-30-2003, 02:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: A little information may prove to be a. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by maxandgeorgia
dangerous thing! Thanks so much for your quick responses to my questions about the "mystery" AS motorhomes. I almost hesitate now to type in the Fred Hines site because, while I know we have been bitten with the AS "disease," I also know that this information won't be an antidote to cure us! Nevertheless, for years we've wondered and watched; now this forum has given us an opportunity to learn about these. Ok, here I go. . .thanks again! --Georgia

Hehehehe your lost! I have been to Freds site a few times and now I want one.
My next door neighbors are shopping for a Motor home and I'm trying to talk them into a 28-31 ft Airstream.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:17 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Management...........

All that can be done is to manage the disease, it never goes away.

The best treatment is frequent exposure to the rig you own.

Warning signs of disease advancement:

The desire to have more than one, having one that is great, but looking for "the next one"

Looking for Airstreams when you should be watching the road, or driving to work. This one is really bad when you are taking the one you own somewhere.

Spending hours creating a web site to document the motorhomes when you don't even own one (fred!).

Well you get the jist of it. The forum acts as a support group where we can all share our afflicition without fear of ridicule or being looked down upon by others. So jump in and find that perfect unit.........for now, most people are in a perpetual upgrade mode
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-30-2003, 03:42 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
I thought of some more things that go with owning an Airstream:

Meeting GREAT people that are helpful and good natured.

Enjoying life, I have yet to meet an Airstreamer that wasn't busy with something. A rally, or caravan, or just puttering around with their rig.

The attention from everyone. many times you will pull into a campground and have a number of new neighbors stop to chat about your brand new (even if it is 15 years old) Airstream.

There are more, but you get the point.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-30-2003, 04:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Should the Airstream be towed or should it tow? That is the question!

To paraphrase my wife.......I saw an Airstream but it wasn't being pulled by a car, it was pulling a car behind it!

BEWARE....once you go, you'll be hooked!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 08:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

There's no turning back now

Were you just passing through MO or from 'round here? We own a 1979 Excella 28' MH and have showed it at local car shows for others to "admire" and "dream the dream". The local car club has let us join the shows even if we aren't legally vintage (25 years here in MO), yet...next year she'll be legal!!! I think I'll get the historic plates for here.

In my interpretation of the law on historic plates (supposed to drive less than 5000 anually & to and from shows) every time we go "camping", we are going to a show!!!
Old 08-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Thanks, Zamboni! We are from Missouri, Jefferson City. We were traveling I35 on our way to I90, the Black Hills, and the Boulder River area of Montana when we spied the MH. Do I ever wish we had slowed our trip enough to stop and investigate! Another one we saw a couple of years ago was near Ennis, Montana. We would love to get to see an older AS MH since so far we have only admired them from a distance as we passed on the road--sort of like the "two ships in the night" thing. Would you let us know if a car show is coming up that you plan to attend to display yours? We'd drive to look at it! Thanks again for your response!
Old 08-02-2003, 09:45 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

A couple of weeks ago when we took our daughter back to Texas
on rte 69 & 75 to Dallas I seen at least two classic motor homes with for sale signs on them, don't know what year or price as could not stop to look. We also saw four or five trailers on the road. They do more traveling in the summer time.

When we were in Ohio a couple of months ago I seen two AS moving about three setting, two classics and one land yacht also setting.

Paul