Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2004, 11:47 AM   #1
bcb79mh

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Nashville , Tennessee
Rear air bag modification?

Considering raising the rear airbags on our 1979 motorhome by installing a 3/4 to 1 inch steel bar under the airbag. The system is working and is at full height now. I would like to have the additional ride height. Has anyone tried this?
bencbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would not do it if it was me.....

The ride height is set to properly distribute the weight of the coach on the 4/6 wheels. Changing the height in the rear could cause unpredictable handling characteristics, and will contribute to body lean in corners due to the center of gravity being higher that designed for the chassis. You could also be causing an overload condition on one or more of the tires.

What is the reason for raising the coach? We collectively may be able to come up with an alternative solution.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 03:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I do not recommend it either. If you have to have one inch then the best way to get it would be to install a block under the leaf spring, you will also need new u-bolts to replace the old ones as they will be too short. This is actually a simple job if you have access to the correct tools. And the parts you need can be readily purchased and can be installed by any spring shop.
Any more then an inch and you may need to get longer shocks too.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Get a set 1" taller, if it doesn't work all you have to do is run a little lower pressure to get the stock height. If the ones you have are original they probably are due for replacement anyway.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Check these out, not for your application but same idea?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34222
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencbailey
Considering raising the rear airbags on our 1979 motorhome by installing a 3/4 to 1 inch steel bar under the airbag. The system is working and is at full height now. I would like to have the additional ride height. Has anyone tried this?
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:43 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Macon , Georgia
Hey Folks,
I'm having my 24 footer looked at by the local truck reapair shop and they said the airbags are shot and won't hold air. They are working up a repair estimate. They seem to be very fair in their pricing, based on past experience, but I was wondering if I needed to advise them on where to find the replacement bags cheaper than wherever they might try to find them. Do we have a good source for them or do they all come from the same place?

Can't I just use Fix a Flat?

joe
josephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Joe,

Get the new bags! 80 PSI is loud when it pops!

Fix a flat will not help you if the bags are going flat.

IIRC I paid 112.00 each from fleetpride for the new ones from Firestone.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 05-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Macon , Georgia
LOL!
OK the fix a flat thing was a joke.
Thanks for the info. The truck place quoted $120 per bag for the parts. I'll refer to the Tech manual and make sure I get the correct part. I'm planning on putting those hose extensions on the inflater valves to run them to a more accessible point. Any do's or don'ts on that plan?
Joe
josephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:27 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
If you are going to go that route, I would guess that the leveling valves have already been removed form the system?

The valves would call for more air as the weight of the coach rose, and dump air as the weight dropped off. if you go with a fixed pressure you will want to get a ruler and check the coach once in a while to be sure the bags are at the proper height. The leveling set up also had a compressor that was part of the complete system

Too much air makes for a punishing ride, too little makes it wallow and could lead to really poor handling.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 08-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #10
bcb79mh

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Nashville , Tennessee
rear air bag update

Finally took our 79 motorhome to a local heavy truck suspension shop (TAFA), to raise ride height they installed adjustable rods on the self leveling valves. I was also advised that I could bypass the electric valves and go directly from the leveling valves to the airbags. New truck suspensions use this system.
bencbailey is offline   Reply With Quote