Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2002, 02:24 PM   #1

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Dallas , Texas
Propane tank

I'm about to purchase an 80's motorhome and need to know how to recognize if the new OPD valves are installed in the propane tank. Is the
tank on Airstream motor homes aluminum? How do you weigh the amount added? Thank you in advance for answering newbie questions.
Charlie Freeman
charlief1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 02:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Over fill valves

The new valves are triangular in shape. The original valves were round shape. The refill stations will tell ya quick if the tanks need changing....
Old 12-05-2002, 03:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
OPD should be standard as it was required on mounted tanks. The propane will be metered just as a gas pump. With the age of your MH you might have to get it recertified, but the outfits I have been to just fill without asking many questions. My tank was steel and in very bad shape. I tried to clean it up, but it was rusted so badly I replaced it.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
My 1985 345 has the OPD and the tank is in good shape. As far as I know, it is standard on all the MH's.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:54 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
OPD Picture

Found this on the rvtimes.com website:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87opdvalve.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	979  
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 05:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

If your tanks.....

are mounted horizontally the OPD law does not effect you. Not sure if yours are but good to know, saves $ changing. Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 08:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
OPD

Somewhat related,

I was in Arkansas a month or so ago and they will still refill the non-OPD tanks. Hear there may be more states bucking the trend.

Next time I go up I know where to get a quick buck for all my obsolete BBQ tanks laying around!
Old 12-06-2002, 07:33 AM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Exclamation OPD in Blue Beret

An article in this months Blue Beret, (WBCCI monthly magazine), talks at length about the trend of retrofitting Aluminum LP tanks with incorrect OPD's. The article tells how Airstreams account for 90% of the Aluminum LP tank population.

LP and OPD dealers do not typically stock the correct OPD for aluminum tanks. They do not sell enough of the units to justify inventory. So they have installed OPD's intended for steel tanks and this could lead to tragedy.

The OPD specifications for a steel tank are NOT the same as specs for an Aluminum tank.

If you have Aluminum tanks, make certain that you have the correct OPD before you have your tanks overfilled and have an accident that ruins your travel plans.

As far as States that still fill old tanks without OPD's, SC is one of them. It seems that it is up to the proprieter to fill or not fill. I have seen vendors that will fill and I have seen vendors that refuse to fill without OPD's.

The safest way to fill any LP tank is by weighing them while filling and not being dependant of the OPD to cut off the flow of LP into the tank.

If you have not received your monthly Blue Beret, maybe you have not joined the WBCCI. Another reason that all Airstreamers should consider joining the WBCCI.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 08:08 AM   #9

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Dallas , Texas
Thanks to all who responded so promptly. It's great to have so much knowledge at hand.
Charlie
charlief1317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 08:19 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Re: OPD in Blue Beret

Quote:
Originally posted by smily

If you have Aluminum tanks, make certain that you have the correct OPD before you have your tanks overfilled and have an accident that ruins your travel plans.
Smily
What did the article say about identifying the correct valve?

I have one of my 40 lb tanks ready to go the the gas distributor right now. I didn't know that they required a special OPD valve.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 08:32 AM   #11
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
OPD in Aluminum

I do not have magazine with me at the office. Sorry.

But I believe it was a dipstick length that was the issue.

Apparently the Aluminum tanks has a recessed or upraised collar, (I am not certain which), that provides for a different depth than a steel tank. The dipstick is supposed to actuate at 80 percent fill, (shut off),

I recall from the magazine that the OPD for a 30 lb steel tank is to be used on a 20lb Aluminum tank or visa versa. I am not certain. I will post later on the specifics from the Blue Beret.

Please do not take this post as exact info at this time. I was just trying to pass the word.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 12:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Propane tank

RE: Blue Beret LPD Propane Valve Alert

The article that is referenced in the preceding posts is available on line at the following link:

http://www.wbcci.org/html/body_maintenance_tips.html

I don't know whether it is just my computer or the site itself, but I couldn't get the pane within the page for the maintenance tips large enough to view on-line. I printed a copy by right-clicking and selecting "print-link".

I know that obtaining these valves can be a problem. I am still waiting for the valves to arrive at my dealer for the 20 lb. Worthington tanks on my '78 Minuet.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 01:03 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Smile Re: Propane tank

Quote:
Originally posted by overlander64
RE: Blue Beret LPD Propane Valve Alert

http://www.wbcci.org/html/body_maintenance_tips.html

Kevin
Thanks. This really helps!!
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #14
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
The link to the Blue Beret article was very informative. I have aluminum tanks with the built-in liquid level sensors that are connected to a panel inside the AS so I can check LP level from the comfort of the cabin. The level sensor also has a circular face gage on the tank (this is where the wires connect and go to the inside panel). I am faced with changing the valves on my aluminum tanks since the old style valves will cause a problem for refilling at some point. So I have a couple of questions.

Where can I purchase the correct OPD valves for aluminum tanks?

How do I find somebody who can install the valves and re-certify the tanks?

Thanks, Lucius

P.S. I apoligize if this is addressed somewhere else in the forum - I am still getting familiar with navigating around the various posts.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:00 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Propane tank

Greetings Lucius!

Depending upon your location, finding a service center that recognizes the differences between aluminum and steel tanks may be difficult. When I phoned my nearby suppliers, they all were reluctant to address the 25-year old Worthington Aluminum tanks on my Argosy Minuet - - new OPD valves and recertification.

I finally decided to call my regular Airstream dealer and asked if their service department could handle the process as a part of my regular winterization. They had contacts with a propane supplier in their community who is familiar with the aluminum tanks and currently has my tanks in the process of refitting and certification.

Your best bet may be to call the service department of your nearest Airstream dealer and ask for a referral - - and I would suggest Airstream as so few brand X trailers even offer an option of aluminum tanks. If you plan to try to work with a local supplier I would suggest printing a copy of the Blue Beret/WBCCI article referenced earlier in this thread and discussing it with the service manager of the prospective refitter before committing to the process.

I don't know about the built-in guage sensors with the new OPD valves. Initially, it was indicated that they would not be available, but the last time I checked the Airstream Dreams web site and they were listing new Worthington Aluminum tanks with the level guage sensors. This would indicate that such OPD valves should be available - - another reason why an Airstream Dealer might be able to refer you to someone more adept in handling aluminum tanks.

Good luck with your refit!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote