Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2003, 05:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Here's an update....

I essentially have 4 leaks. Front windshield, Front AC, Antenna, and over the rear bed.

The windshchield one was old. I tore off the old black caulking and replaced it new new silicone caulking today.

The Antenna was an old one. Yesterday (in the rain) I wnt up top and took it apart. replaced the rusted screws with stainless steel and cleaned up the plastic case. Srcewed it back together and put aluminum AC tape over the top and put silicone around the base.

I did tear apart the inside of the AC to find a cracked drip pan and put some tub and tile caulk yesterday and a second coat today. The front AC is garbage anyways.

The rear leak over the bed may require me to remove interior rood panels to find the source.

I have been running a dehumidifier since yesterday.

I did replace a crack p-trap ring under the kitchen sink.

I poured a box of baking soda in the kitchen sink and poured a pan of hot water down it in addition to leaving an open box in the AS.

I also sprayed bleach/water solution under the sink area.

I will be removing the furnace unit and capping the LP for two reasons. First to take the furnace to the shop for analysis and second to see if the LP or furnace could be the source. I'll keep you posted.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:05 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I found it!

I removed the front furnace (interior and housing) and capped the LP and the smell is almost gone!

Now I just don't know whether it is the furnace or the LP fitting to the furnace. I did spray soap and water on the fitting so my guess is the old Duo-Therm furnace has 'issues'.

My wife gets a big assist since her sinus system is far more sensative than mine. She actually smelled gas some time ago when we were living in Jellybean III as temporary housing.

Now I need to consider fixing the furnace or replacing it.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:25 PM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Good News! No smell, of course no heat so joining us in Marianna is out

Sounds like a bad gas valve on the furnace. The smell will eventually go away, but until then you have a reminder of the leak. If you plan to have the furnace repaired I would leave it sit out in the sun for a day or two to try to get all of the LP smell out. It is an additive that the gas companies put in so we can detect a leak or an open valve.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote