Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
water mill , New York
NYS Title Info

Hi!

I am looking to purchase my first airstream but it has no title.... I of course have gone thru all the typical questions.... Does anyone know how to register without a title or hoe to get a title? The last time it was registered was in Pen?? Any help would be so much appreciated!!!

It's a 1975!

Thank you!!!
cosmicliz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Keep your money in your pocket until you know that the seller is the legal owner, entitled to sell the vehicle. If he is, and he's misplaced the pink slip, he should be able to go to his DMV and complete the paperwork for a duplicate pink. Ideally, it should show him as both the legal owner and the registered owner, i.e., that there are no unpaid liens from an old lender (unlikely from a 1976). Once he's armed with the new, "duplicate" pink slip, and you're assured he's the guy on the pink, then he can sign off and also provide a bill of sale, and you can register it in your state. I can't speak for New York, but CA would not register the vehicle without the properly signed evidence of ownership. The DMV is a bureaucracy, and in any bureaucracy, there's always two operational rules: the one that says you can; and the one that says you can't. Consequently, there's no doubt a workaround for unusual cases, like lost pink slips, deceased owners, etc., but the safest way would be to have your seller obtain the proper documentation first,, before you part with your cash.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
water mill , New York
Thank you for that!

Unfortunately he doesn't have the title and the prior three owners didn't either.... this leads me to believe potentially it hasn't been actually registered on years!! I am looking for a way to get a title in NY state without the originally tile or if anyone has any other suggestions on how to get the title!! Or if you can somehow get a title withou knowing who actually had the title!

Thank you
Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
some ideas to follow.......
you need to try to find the last legally registered owner of record. you can then send that owner a certified letter requesting a bill of sale. if the letter is returned unclaimed you might be able to use this to establish the trailer is yours as abandoned property. a visit to your local police department might help if they'll run the V.I.N. for you to trace the last registered owner.

a visit to the website might yeild some more info.
New York State Department of Motor Vehicles - NYS DMV - NYSDMV - Driver - Vehicle
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Be careful, keep both hands on your wallet. My career experience was banking, so I can't tell you what PA DMV procedures are. They may well have a form xyz123 that enables a civilian title search based on the VIN number, and that may yield insights on who owns this trailer, and then maybe if they're alive. Maybe a friend in law enforcement can do a search, as a starting point.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
A few years ago I was able to obtain a title to a car in Georgia. The seller purchased the car and had the title signed over, but then lost the title before he recorded it with the DMV. The last owner on record could not be located. I was able to do a title bond on the car and had to post a public notice about it. After 3 public notices and 30 days I was then able to obtain a title in my name. Check the NYS DMV procedures. There should be some way to title it. You’ll probably get the run around until you find someone who is well versed in it. You may also want to contact a salvage title rebuild company about it as well.

With that said, I'd be VERY cautious with this purchase. It better be a good deal because rebuilding the title will cost you some money and in the end you have no guarantee that you’ll get the title. You may make the sale contingent on you obtaining the title first. That way you don't have anything to loose but the cost of getting the paperwork processed.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Here in ga, anything old enough Just needs a bill of sale. I think it has to be built prior to 1983???? Anyway, you can still run into issues because they do check the VIN and if the trailer was ever reported stolen then you have to relinquish it to its rightful owner.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
NY is one of the easiest states... bill of sale stating it was owned more than two years and a weight slip from a registered scale. Those two things get you transferable registration. NY has no titles for travel trailers just transferable registrations.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
frank, titles were used in ny starting 1973. all my trailers have had titles.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Well, then I was hood winked and so was the Maryland DMV twice now. Is it for 1973 or later? Never owned a trailer that young yet...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
water mill , New York
Thank you everyone for your help.... i ended up finding one with a title!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Well, then I was hood winked and so was the Maryland DMV twice now. Is it for 1973 or later? Never owned a trailer that young yet...
from the nys site:
Trailers - model year 1973 or newer with an unladen weight of 1,000 lbs. or more
The acceptable proof of ownership is a NYS title certificate or the acceptable proof of ownership from another state, and a bill of sale. The person whose name appears on the proof of ownership must sign the transfer section of the proof of ownership.
If the trailer is registered in another state, contact that state to make sure that the proof of ownership you receive is the acceptable proof of ownership for that state.

NYS DMV - Proofs of Ownership